• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Erin's Audio Corner gets a Klippel NFS!

mtmpenn

Forum Donor
I like the idea of the small monitor shootout. I would recommend adding the iLoud Micro Monitors to the list.

The Elac Carina is also a special order, but I would like to see its spin. Its measurements on stereophile look very lood.

MrPeabody

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Here are a few I would like to get. They are special order so I don't think I'll be able to but they are ones I am going to ask about for sure:
Dynaudio Acoustics Core 59 Professional 3-Way Reference Studio Monitor:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...ics_core_59_3_way_referance_monitor_with.html

Focal Trio6 Be 3-way:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...pro_trio6be_gr_trio6_be_3_way_near_field.html

There are a lot of Genelec offerings but I know Amir has already tested a lot so probably too much overlap for me to bother with the ones I want to test. Still, I'd like to have the opportunity to hear them.

Please!

Biblob

Here are a few I would like to get. They are special order so I don't think I'll be able to but they are ones I am going to ask about for sure:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...ics_core_59_3_way_referance_monitor_with.html

Focal Trio6 Be 3-way:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...pro_trio6be_gr_trio6_be_3_way_near_field.html

There are a lot of Genelec offerings but I know Amir has already tested a lot so probably too much overlap for me to bother with the ones I want to test. Still, I'd like to have the opportunity to hear them.
Awesome news Erin. Staying in line with the 10" 3-ways, this might be a nice cheap one to compare with the higher end ones:
KRK 10-3 gen 4
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1457614-REG/krk_rp103_g4_10_3_way_active_studio.html

edechamps

Forum Donor
There are a lot of Genelec offerings but I know Amir has already tested a lot so probably too much overlap for me to bother with the ones I want to test.

One speaker Amir tested that would be useful to measure again is the JBL 305P. It's still a very popular speaker due to the excellent performance/price ratio, making it very attractive to anyone on a budget. The reason why it would be useful to have it tested again is because it was one of the first speakers Amir reviewed and so the data comes with a number of caveats (only 10 pts/octave; mic cage ripple; low frequency issues; no distortion measurements etc.).

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
One speaker Amir tested that would be useful to measure again is the JBL 305P. It's still a very popular speaker due to the excellent performance/price ratio, making it very attractive to anyone on a budget. The reason why it would be useful to have it tested again is because it was one of the first speakers Amir reviewed and so the data comes with a number of caveats (only 10 pts/octave; mic cage ripple; low frequency issues; no distortion measurements etc.).

Gotcha. I'll keep that one in mind.

LearningToSmile

Focal Trio6 Be 3-way:

Regardless of which one of these you end up getting, would be very interesting to see the difference(if any) between vertical and horizontal orientation of the rotating mid-tweeter assemblies.

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yea, unfortunately there is a lot that is currently out of stock. I have noticed this not just with speakers but a lot of other items such as cameras and mics. I also see this is commonplace with Sweetwater, Amazon, Adorama, etc. as I try to order other electronics. IOW, it seems like a supply issue from the manufacturers' end. Hopefully whatever is causing this will clear up soon. But, as of right now there are still quite a few items they have in stock that I hope to be able to test. :)

Is HEDD on the list? Type 20 and 30 already been measured to high detail elsewhere before, so the Mk2 Type 07s/Type 05s would be a lot more interesting. I like that they are using well-documented OEM ICEPowers, so you won't have to rely on them to support a custom implementation down the road, and the teardowns I've seen look good, but that's for nothing if the measurements don't support it. Seeing as ADAM doesn't have anything to replace the A7X, which performs worse than the cheaper, newer T7V or the more expensive S2V, hopefully the HEDD could be the ticket for the mid-priced active sector.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Saw this on Facebook and thought: "If Magico can do it, so could Erin and Amir. No more excuses for avoiding floorstanders!". :D

magico.jpg

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
I have the following set to arrive from B&H soon:
  • Klipsch The Fives
  • JBL 305P MkII
  • PreSonus Eris
  • Mackie CR3-X

They also put me on the list for the Polk Audio Reserve Series R200 so once they become in-stock then I'll get those, too.

What's funny is I wasn't asking for all of those speakers. I emailed my contact and provided a list of items I am interested in testing. I expected a reply saying "yea, we'll send you this one" and I'd eventually work my way down the list. Instead, a few hours later I got a shipping notification that they all were on their way. How cool is that!?

:)

Biblob

I have the following set to arrive from B&H soon:
  • Klipsch The Fives
  • JBL 305P MkII
  • PreSonus Eris
  • Mackie CR3-X

They also put me on the list for the Polk Audio Reserve Series R200 so once they become in-stock then I'll get those, too.

What's funny is I wasn't asking for all of those speakers. I emailed my contact and provided a list of items I am interested in testing. I expected a reply saying "yea, we'll send you this one" and I'd eventually work my way down the list. Instead, a few hours later I got a shipping notification that they all were on their way. How cool is that!?

:)
Will you do a review on all those speakers individually? I'd find a shootout where all those monitors would be reviewed and compared to each other directly, a fun thing to read! :) just a suggestion

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Don't think that would be a fair shootout. These differ massively in price and woofer size. Still would be interesting information to at least get some measurements. I was looking at Mackie mr624 or mr524's and emailed them if they had any spins or other measurement data. They did not. So I just went with JBL in the end.

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Will you do a review on all those speakers individually? I'd find a shootout where all those monitors would be reviewed and compared to each other directly, a fun thing to read! :) just a suggestion

This was what I posted last week about it:

It would be kind of cool to do a shootout of sorts. Certainly not with all 10 but maybe pick a couple in the same price bracket and do a comparison.

Maybe a 3" monitor comparison:
PreSonus Eris: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...s_eris_3_5_3_5_studio_reference_monitors.html
Mackie CR3X: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1532178-REG/mackie_cr3_x_creative_reference_series.html

The plan is to do just that. :)

tomtrp

Really want to see some AMT three way monitors measured like Adam S3V and EVE SC407

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
The emergency stop foot switch reminds me of the Ghostbusters ghost trap :)

I’m never gonna NOT be able to see that now. LOL.

I’ve been meaning to attach that thing to the wall for months now. I’m just too excited to test stuff so I keep putting that off. :D

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Awesome news Erin. Staying in line with the 10" 3-ways, this might be a nice cheap one to compare with the higher end ones:
KRK 10-3 gen 4
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1457614-REG/krk_rp103_g4_10_3_way_active_studio.html

IMO that would be an interesting speaker for someone to test. Sound und Recording tested the previous model (issue 01/12, at 63; Studiomonitor Special, at 223) and it looked pretty darn good for a reasonably sized full-range active speaker at 1k USD/pair.

Top Bottom