• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ergonomics

Helicopter

Major Contributor
I worked in a big office with height adjustable sit/ stand desks and those ergatron arms. The arms and height adjustment were great. Only about 1% of people were standing regularly after about a month.

Now I work at home, and try to avoid my desk as much as possible ;) I find a long walk in the woods is the best thing for fixing my body.

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
As someone that recently after the covid lockdowns got the ability to do home office I agree. I try to walk everyday and it just clears up my mind and makes me so calm it's great. I'm getting old since probably before that, the idea of going for a walk would've been ridiculous to me, I'd either slump in my chair or go balls to the wall in the gym or riding a bike. But just walking like some peasant didn't occur to me. I think it's one of my favorite activities now.

192kbps

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Chair:Any chair with sacral support
Desk:Something like Herman Mille The Envelop Desk
MOUSE:Zaunkoenig M2K / G-Wolves HSK / Xenics Titan GE Air
Keyboard:NIZ
photo_gallery_envelop_4.jpg

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
IMG_2022-11-25-14-10-58-869.jpg

Finally setup a proper home office. Being true to ASR, I might have a bit more space for speakers and stuff than other people but it works :D

Height adjustable desk, 32" screen in the middle on an Ergotron LX arm. The monitor up left is not optimal. I might stack them over each other, but the fitting Ergotron arm is over 300€, and honestly it works well enough. However it kinda limits me in my speaker selection as I need some area for the monitor stand :p and a flat top.

Herman Miller Aeron as chair when I'm sitting. It's a great chair especially compared to some cheaper models it's a huge upgrade but I'm not over the moon about it. Kinda hard to compare chairs though.

I had the desk in front of the window before and moving it to 90° made a huge difference. Also I have no lights in front the screen (well except the desk light on the left, which is usually off). All other lighting comes from behind the screen and it makes a lot of difference in readability.

Last edited:
OP
D

Digby

Major Contributor
Just bumping this thread a little. I'm particularly interested in what desks, keyboard trays/arms and mice people are using.

I have a logitech mx ergo trackball mouse with sideways tilt and I'm enjoying it more than a typical mouse, it definitely reduces wrist strain, but I think my desk is too high and perhaps, as someone else mentioned, would benefit from a slant to it. I find it quite comfortable when I rest the mouse of the side of my leg and use like that, but it is rather too heavy for that to be sustainable.

I'm also testing out a thinkpad keyboard atm. the keys are very nice, very nice feel, the trackpoint is ok, but it is difficult to get a setting that is both sensitive enough and accurate enough. I feel like I am constantly overshooting or undershooting. it is nice to have everything at your fingertips though, with a keyboard/mouse combo in one neat package.

Last edited:

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
My biggest complaint is that this is a market segment that is super expensive, I expect that it's still somewhat of a niche market (like AVProcessors) where there just aren't enough sales to bring unit price down. I went looking at new options to replace my desk which is now something like 20yrs old. Any option I can find is ridiculous. Even considering the fact I can write it off doesn't outweigh the initial outlay of cash to do what I want.
I would love to explore getting a new standing station that doesn't take up the floor space my current desk does. Ideally, I could go for a pole mount or wall mount station. As long as I can get a negaitive tilt keyboard tray, I'll be happy!

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Nothing interesting here at my place.

Don't seem to need it, don't think about it.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My biggest complaint is that this is a market segment that is super expensive, I expect that it's still somewhat of a niche market (like AVProcessors) where there just aren't enough sales to bring unit price down. I went looking at new options to replace my desk which is now something like 20yrs old. Any option I can find is ridiculous. Even considering the fact I can write it off doesn't outweigh the initial outlay of cash to do what I want.
I would love to explore getting a new standing station that doesn't take up the floor space my current desk does. Ideally, I could go for a pole mount or wall mount station. As long as I can get a negaitive tilt keyboard tray, I'll be happy!

Have you looked at Deskhaus? They’re not cheap but the build quality is better than others I’ve seen. Also if you’re tall - ALL of the 2-post desks will wobble too much at standing height. (My wife’s Uplift desk wobbles way too much at my height, though it’s fine at hers.) I’ve found this frame to be stable even at the top of its height adjustment.

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
I think in recent years this market has seen more users than ever before and there are a lot of affordable options. For example

What do you consider "ridiculous"?

OP
D

Digby

Major Contributor
Herman Miller Aeron as chair when I'm sitting. It's a great chair especially compared to some cheaper models it's a huge upgrade but I'm not over the moon about it. Kinda hard to compare chairs though.
What do you like and dislike about it?

I think the thing I like most is the seat. I thought the plastic brim (at the front) would be annoying at first, but it really isn't that bad. The negative is the backrest - it isn't bad, I just can't decide if it is comfy or not and not sure about the lumbar support. Also, I think a chair would be better with a headrest to lean back into occasionally. I know you can buy third party (Atlas?), but I'm not sure how good they are.

I question whether I should have got the Cosm, maybe even the one with the hammock type arms. That would definitely make a very comfy replacement for a typical living room seat. Resting your head into the long back one is great.

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
What do you like and dislike about it?

I think the thing I like most is the seat. I thought the plastic brim (at the front) would be annoying at first, but it really isn't that bad. The negative is the backrest - it isn't bad, I just can't decide if it is comfy or not and not sure about the lumbar support. Also, I think a chair would be better with a headrest to lean back into occasionally. I know you can buy third party (Atlas?), but I'm not sure how good they are.

I question whether I should have got the Cosm, maybe even the one with the hammock type arms. That would definitely make a very comfy replacement for a typical living room seat. Resting your head into the long back one is great.
So in general it's a great chair. I love the mesh. I would never go back to synthetic leather or fabric. Especially in summer it's great. We don't usually have AC here in europe.

Also the quality is really high. I bought mine used and the locking mechanism eventually failed. I found a dealer wrote to him my problem and I got replacement parts for 30€. They were easy to install and I also learned how seemingly overbuilt and solid everything is. Every screw you remove is massive.

Sometimes think a headrest would be nice.

I think my main complaint is with the tilt mechanism. I can hardly sit back (even with the chair locked) without actively pushing back. I guess that's suppossed to be level? Anyway I am constantly in one of the forward positions.

Also when unlocking an leaning back - this is hardly usable. If you keep your back straight and your neck straight you are looking at the ceiling. I don't know what that's for. All it does it give me forward head posture since that is the only way I can still look straight ahead so I generally never unlock the chair.

Also the arm rests. They wander. Eventually they will work their way down, no matter how hard I screw them down. So every couple of weeks I notice, loosen them pull them up and tighten down again...

Don't get me wrong it's a great chair. I like the company in general, maybe another model would suit me better. I'm not in market it does a good job. It's just that I think it could be better.

Top Bottom