• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ER2SE cable adapters to not have to resort to expensive stock cables or custom cables?

Cifer

Hello everyone,

I just bought a pair of ER2SE and would like to keep them. However, the stock cable is fragile and replacements cost about as much as the IEMs themselves.

According to what I've read there still isn't a viable replacement option besides having one custom made by forum members or Luna Audio, etc.

Are there adapters that work so I could use other MMCX cables with it? I've seen someone mention this solution in an older thread but couldn't find any more information.

By the way, is there even a reliable source for the stock cable in Europe? I haven't been able to find any.

staticV3

Master Contributor
There are loads of cheap cables on AliExpress:
Screenshot_20221201-120739_AliExpress.jpg

Here are a few adapters to regular mmcx:
Link1 Link2 Link3 Link4 Link5

Last edited:
OP
C

Cifer

There are loads of cheap cables on AliExpress:

Here are a few adapters to regular mmcx:
Link1 Link2 Link3 Link4 Link5
Thank you. I've seen these things, but what I'd like to hear from someone who has actually used them if they work properly and if they are firmly connected. I should have worded my question more clearly: Do any of the adapters work as well as using a stock cable?

I know that you can theoretically use normal MMCX cables, but they will stick out to the sides and the weight will pull on the device. Some are marketed to be ER2SE compatible, but I've only seen reports about them not fitting properly and the connection between the parts not being stable. I've heard the same about many adaptors.

staticV3

Master Contributor
I have not tried these adapters yet.
What I have done is made my own cable for my 4XR using the same Etymotic MMCX plugs that the cables on AliExpress come with:
IMG_20210710_203234.jpeg IMG_20210710_203251.jpeg
And those are just as solid as the stock plugs in my experience. They too have that locking nipple:
Hcf7e278fbdea458b82753bfb37bab539W.jpegHcff0d973384b468c9a01fde60c216228w.jpeg

OP
C

Cifer

I have not tried these adapters yet.
What I have done is made my own cable for my 4XR using the same Etymotic MMCX plugs that the cables on AliExpress come with:
View attachment 247100 View attachment 247101
And those are just as solid as the stock plugs in my experience. They too have that locking nipple:
View attachment 247103View attachment 247102
So what you are saying is that there are indeed complete cables for sale which fit the Etymotics perfectly? That's a positive surprise because people complain all the time that not cable fits.

Some of the links you shared are dead, so I couldn't see all cables. They do seem about as expensive as the original etymotic cables though. That's probably inevitable because of the design, but still pretty stupid considering the ER2SE aren't much more expensive.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Wait you're mixing stuff up. The links I sent are not full cables for your Ety, but instead adapters to allow you to use regular MMCX cables with your Ety.

I did share a screenshot though where you can see a bunch of complete Ety cables with the correct plugs for just $15-25.
It's just below where I wrote "There are loads of cheap cables on AliExpress:", here

OP
C

Cifer

Wait you're mixing stuff up. The links I sent are not full cables for your Ety, but instead adapters to allow you to use regular MMCX cables with your Ety.

I did share a screenshot though where you can see a bunch of complete Ety cables with the correct plugs for just $15-25.
It's just below where I wrote "There are loads of cheap cables on AliExpress:", here
I can't open three of the links and thought those were cables. What did you mean by "the same plugs those cables on AliExpress come with"? Doesn't that mean there are full cables with plugs?

What exactly do you need to do to build your own cable with those plugs? Is there any soldering involved? I've never looked into it before at all.

Thanks again!

staticV3

Master Contributor
What did you mean by "the same plugs those cables on AliExpress come with"? Doesn't that mean there are full cables with plugs?
I used these MMCX plugs to make my cable, which are specifically made to fit Etymotic in ears:
Hcff0d973384b468c9a01fde60c216228w.jpeg Hcf7e278fbdea458b82753bfb37bab539W.jpeg
And they are the same plugs that Chinese manufacturers use to make replacement cables for Etymotic in ears, which they then sell on AliExpress for $15-25.
What exactly do you need to do to build your own cable with those plugs? Is there any soldering involved?
Yes, there is soldering involved. Including a solder pot for tinning Litz wire, and epoxy to reinforce the solder joints and prevent oxidation.

Top Bottom