• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Equivalent to XiFEO (FLAC Entropy Optimizer)?

jhwalker

Has anyone run across a current equivalent to XiFEO (FLAC Entropy Optimizer)? It was available a few years back from a company called XiVero, and was quite a cool piece of software - unfortunately, it can no longer be licensed / activated, giving the company no longer exists and they apparently didn't release a final version which did not require activation :(

FEATURES:
  1. Analyze lossless audio files (e.g., WAV, AIFF, FLAC, ALAC) for actual audio content
  2. Based on analysis, change cutoff for encoding; i.e., change filter / sampling rate to fully capture actual content
  3. Based on analysis, change bit depth as necessary to fully capture actual content
  4. Allow full range of FLAC compression options
I was seeing large file size savings based on re-encoding (for example) 24/96 ALAC files to 18/48 FLAC files, without losing any content (or at least nothing actually present in the source files).

I know Jussi Laako has posted some content re: properly sizing FLAC parameters, so it's probably a regular feature of the FLAC spec; however, the end-to-end workflow XiFEO provided was (AFAIK) unique, and I'd love to have it back.

XiFEO.jpg

markanini

Major Contributor
I don't understand the appeal. If space or bandwidth is limited perceptual codecs will be much more efficient.

Last edited:

bennetng

Major Contributor
Has anyone run across a current equivalent to XiFEO (FLAC Entropy Optimizer)? It was available a few years back from a company called XiVero, and was quite a cool piece of software - unfortunately, it can no longer be licensed / activated, giving the company no longer exists and they apparently didn't release a final version which did not require activation :(

FEATURES:
  1. Analyze lossless audio files (e.g., WAV, AIFF, FLAC, ALAC) for actual audio content
  2. Based on analysis, change cutoff for encoding; i.e., change filter / sampling rate to fully capture actual content
  3. Based on analysis, change bit depth as necessary to fully capture actual content
  4. Allow full range of FLAC compression options
I was seeing large file size savings based on re-encoding (for example) 24/96 ALAC files to 18/48 FLAC files, without losing any content (or at least nothing actually present in the source files).
Not exactly the same thing you want, but flac's encoding settings can be tuned to adept input data with different characteristics to further reduce file size. Many encoding settings are asymmetric which means the resulting flac files will not take more CPU time to decode. Actually, can even achieve faster decoding speed due to the smaller file size. These settings are all mathematically lossless, there is no resampling or bit-depth reduction.

Here are some examples:

Top Bottom