• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

EquiTech 1.5RQ Balanced Power Review

CJH

I do see a couple of power filters (silver boxes, possibly Corcom) mounted on the side panel next to the transformer. So there should be some form of filtering measured vs. straight wall AC. After reading on website looks like some outlets are filtered, others are not.
CJH

fordiebianco

Forum Donor
Resident experts from the UK: do we need surge protectors/power filters or any other such products to protect/improve our beloved gear on this sceptred isle?

...asking for a friend.

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I definitely remember doing the fluoro tube trick at my brother's house in the outer Melbourne suburbs, just a short walk into his backyard and point up to the high voltage transmission lines overhead. Impressed the nephews no end. Unsure if it also caused my hair loss :)
Just as it does here on every house. (unless that house has three phase power for a big HVAC etc)

Our system is M.E.N. (multiple, earthed neutral).

But when I want to light up some star wars type 'light sabre' old fluorescent tubes, I take my son down to the park near us in summer, on a particular hill, when the power consumption is at peak and the 275kV lines droop just enough...

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Unsure if it also caused my hair loss

Nah, that's just a Melbourne thing. I got out of Melb in the 70s and still have (most of) my hair. :)

@Francis Vaughan stayed in SA? Poor guy. At least he doesn't need to wax (all that time under 275kV lines or what are they at Whyalla?).

Last edited:

anphex

Forum Donor
I wonder if you couldn't just tinker around and solder a fat capacitor with the fitting data to low pass only below 150 Hz on a board with input and output being a power plug socket and there you have a filter. A working one probably. For a 50th of the price.
Edit: Yes, I know this piece of gear wasn't really designed to filter. But it could have done so or at least tried for this price. Though wouldn't have probably made any difference.

Last edited:

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You've provided a brand name only, which candidly isn't helpful. I'm looking for specifics.
I gave you the link to the SurgeX site where you can read about all their specific products. Whichever one best fits your use application and desired feature set, go with that.

wwenze

Major Contributor
I wonder if you couldn't just tinker around and solder a fat capacitor with the fitting data to low pass only below 150 Hz on a board with input and output being a power plug socket and there you have a filter. A working one probably. For a 50th of the price.
Edit: Yes, I know this piece of gear wasn't really designed to filter. But it could have down so or at least tried for this price. Though wouldn't have probably made any difference.

The capacitors inside your equipment already do an excellent job at filtering out stuff above 1Hz.

Labjr

Major Contributor
It's basically an isolation transformer with a center tap. What is the benefit supposedly coming from? The isolation or because it's balanced?

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Labjr

Major Contributor
Thanks.
We just have a single phase 240V supply here at my house (I checked for the purposes of how powerful an electric car charger I can have at home if I buy one).
In France the house was on a 3-phase supply with different phases feeding different parts of the house! One had to share the highest power consuming items between phases to avoid tripping the supply, the standing charge depends on the max kW you specify and it trips if you try to take more.

Where I live, in USA, we once lost power during a storm once and only part of the house was out. I realized that we didn't have the normal split-phase power. The apartment building I live in has a 3-phase power with only two of the phases feeding my panel. I measured 208v between two 120v outlets.

Last edited:

roog

Forum Donor
Resident experts from the UK: do we need surge protectors/power filters or any other such products to protect/improve our beloved gear on this sceptred isle?

...asking for a friend.

It is an interesting point, I suspect the answer lies with your particular supply quality. I have never checked mine, I am a bit squeamish about sticking my oscilloscope across the mains, even in differential mode with the correct probes! So I have never checked it at any of the places I have lived and I have never applied any filtering, protection or isolation transformers.

I believe, the IET, BS7671, (the UK wiring standards) since 2018 require for all new installations (not retrospectively applied) that unless a risk assessment is carried out, protection against transient overvoltage shall be provided where the consequence caused by overvoltage could: (followed by a list bad things that might happen). The previous standard allowed an exemption for some domestic dwellings. My Home was built in 2017 and does not include transient overvoltage protection/suppression.

In commercial installations, we have been including such protection for more than 25 years as a matter of course.

So I suppose based on the 'direction of travel' the authorities think it is a good idea and probably should be installed on all new build or rewired UK domestic dwellings. No mention of isolation transformers though, thank goodness!

Francis Vaughan

Forum Donor
It's basically an isolation transformer with a center tap. What is the benefit supposedly coming from? The isolation or because it's balanced?

The manufacturer's web site provide a somewhat wordy description and history of why it is useful. Overall I think there is some merit in what they are doing. They quote a pretty substantial set of customers. OTOH, they could have done a better job of the description.
But the tl;dr - by creating a carefully balanced power feed they create a situation where there is very little residual current carried in the ground connection. Since in a complex audio installation there can be a lot of issues with noise due to quite small ground currents their approach can create very quiet systems.

If you don't have a ground noise problem their box won't improve things. But if you do they claim correct installation and connection of equipment to it can yield substantial reductions in noise.

https://equitech.com/lifting-the-grounding-enigma/

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I know in this forum many people are singing cheap good measurement Chinese DAC, but do they sound better than Hi-End DACs? In most cases, not really.
Nobody I’ve ever read has successfully completed a double blind test that demonstrated that ANY competent DACs can be distinguished reliably. So, in that case, cheaper may be better for the same feature set.

But, here, we are talking about power conditioners. How can anyone say that they “work” without showing measurements to that effect?

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
SurgeX—no BS claims about sound quality and doesn’t use sacrificial MOVs:

https://www.ametekesp.com/surgex
I’ve used a SurgeX for several years in my system. I connect all my low current draw components to it, but connecting my Bryston 4B-ST amp to it makes it sound audibly worse. I believe it restricts the high instantaneous current required to make the Bryston work optimally. The amp gets plugged directly into the wall socket.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The manufacturer's web site provide a somewhat wordy description and history of why it is useful. Overall I think there is some merit in what they are doing. They quote a pretty substantial set of customers. OTOH, they could have done a better job of the description.
But the tl;dr - by creating a carefully balanced power feed they create a situation where there is very little residual current carried in the ground connection. Since in a complex audio installation there can be a lot of issues with noise due to quite small ground currents their approach can create very quiet systems.

If you don't have a ground noise problem their box won't improve things. But if you do they claim correct installation and connection of equipment to it can yield substantial reductions in noise.

https://equitech.com/lifting-the-grounding-enigma/
I highly respect @Francis Vaughan ’s feedback. What changes to Amir’s testing protocol would you recommend to capture the reduced noise from resolving grounding issues?

Francis Vaughan

Forum Donor
I highly respect @Francis Vaughan ’s feedback. What changes to Amir’s testing protocol would you recommend to capture the reduced noise from resolving grounding issues?

:eek:

OK, the problem is to create a situation that the device claims to solve, and/or construct a test for the veracity of how good their balanced output is at solving them.

There are a few questions, with a few nuances.

Does a balanced power feed help with ground noise in practice? To test this finding a system with a known problem would be a good start. (Interestingly Amir occasionally gets equipment for which no amount of fiddling with grounds can cure noise pickup. Maybe one of these would be an interesting subject. But it might be too simplistic.) We can test the system with conventional tied neutral in the power feed to all the components, and then replace all the power connections with balanced. Does the noise reduce? However, on the test-bench this isn't a trivial ask.
If we find that there is a useful improvement it might lead to the construction of a synthetic test. That would take quite a lot of effort. I'd need to think about how a suitable test rig could be set up. In some ways one is trying to emulate the problems real world equipment gets into in real world setups in a contained manner.

The other question is about just how good the balanced power system needs to be. We might argue that the Equitech is over-engineered. They make a big song and dance about the benefits of their design. Is the additional effort and cost reflected in benefits in actual use? One thing would be to create a simple balanced power feed with an off the shelf isolation transformer. Measure how different the performance is.

Finally, test the actual quality of balance of the Equitech and the off-the-shelf transformer. How much differential noise is actually present? Is the Equitech better? Needs to be done at a range of loads. Partly to check performance, but also the check Equitech's assertions about how important this is.

This is a week or so of work. So isn't going to happen.

OTOH, just find yourself a system that has a bad ground loop problem and see if it fixes it whilst allowing for full correct and safe connections of all the equipment. If it does this, it works as advertised.

It really needs to be underlined that this device isn't a power conditioner. There is nothing magical or clean about the power it delivers except for attempting to create a balanced feed that results in vanishing ground currents, and do so in a system that retains safety. Everything pivots on the ground currents.

The utility of this device in a domestic setting is a whole separate matter. I have a whole range of issues with that.

Top Bottom