• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Equalizer Questions

KA7NIQ

Is there a parametric equalizer that has a wider Q then .5 ?
Someone told me I will be better off with what he called a shelving equalizer ?

Basically, I have some speakers I would like to turn the entire range above 1K down with a smooth downward shaping curve.

Frgirard

Major Contributor
Is there a parametric equalizer that has a wider Q then .5 ?
Someone told me I will be better off with what he called a shelving equalizer ?

Basically, I have some speakers I would like to turn the entire range above 1K down with a smooth downward shaping curve.
You use two filters

DJNX

You mean a hardware equalizer or a plugin?
Pro-Q 3 goes as wide as 0.025, but it's a plugin eq.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My RCF DX 2006 goes down to Q = 0.311. I use a low pass shelf similar to what you describe.

Peterinvan

You mean a hardware equalizer or a plugin?
When I started out in audio, I thought that "flat" was the preferred setting on my amp/preamp.

Could someone help me understand which is less destructive hardware EQ or DSP/software EQ. Is there any downside to either?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
When I started out in audio, I thought that "flat" was the preferred setting on my amp/preamp.

Could someone help me understand which is less destructive hardware EQ or DSP/software EQ. Is there any downside to either?
They both can work fine. DSP software is a lot more flexible.

For example, DSP allows me to set CF of PEQ in 1Hz increments, with Qs from 0.311 to 72. Digital delay is available up to 40ms. Hardware can't touch that.

Last edited:

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A good DSP EQ will have a low or high shelf filter type included. Image-Line Parametric EQ 2 has such a filter, so do many others.

Software EQ is infinitely more flexible than most hardware EQs. If you can use a software EQ it would be foolish not to IMO. They tend to be cheap or free and you can address your problem frequencies without restrictions. Need more bands? Add another instance! Easy.

Need more bands with a hardware EQ? Prepare to spend double the money or leave problem frequencies alone.

Top Bottom