• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Equalizer for Front L/R

Druvicious

Hello,
I'm looking for the simplest, most effective way to apply some equalization to my front left/right speakers in my "home theater". I currently run a 4.2.2 setup (got rid of my center channel, as I prefer a phantom center) with a Sony STR-DH790 AVR fed by Apple 4K TV. The simplest/cheapest way I'm aware of to do this, applying to all listening modes (TV/Streaming/etc...), would be to buy a MiniDSP 2x4 or 2x4 HD. My AVR doesn't have pre-outs, but I get around this running FL/FR terminals on the AVR to this:

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-RVika...hKTHZRxst4I00HiI7xW4d7FuJikYYAcEaAol9EALw_wcB
I then have an external amp powering FL/FR. I'm thinking I would need to put the MiniDSP 2x4 in between the Russound and external amp.

My questions:
-If I'm only wishing to make a couple of EQ corrections, would there be a discernible difference between the 2x4 and 2x4 HD?
-Are there any alternative solutions out there I should consider within this price range?

Notes:
-I have my subs dialed-in nicely, so no need for any changes there
-I have no need or desire to EQ the surround L/R
-Room correction/"EQ" has been set with the AVR, but it is extremely limited in features (basically gain, distance, treble, bass)
-I will not be upgrading my AVR, as aside from enhanced EQ abilities, my current one does all I need

Thanks in advance!

rwortman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Do it analog even cheaper. I use one of these for EQ for sources other than Roon which has built in PEQ. It’s dirt cheap and has no noise or distortion I can hear. You do need to make cables with RCA’s on one end and XLR or TS on the other. Behringer FBQ3102HD

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would avoid using a graphic equalizer. Having fixed frequency centers and fixed filter Qs is just too limiting. It is possible to get a graphic to work if you are lucky enough to need to make tweaks that correspond to the predetermined filters built into the equalizer, but if you are that lucky, maybe you should consider buying a lottery ticket?

rwortman

Forum Donor
Graphic EQ’s can be quite useful. If you want your room flat to .5db, perhaps not. Pro’s use them quite a bit.

alex-z

If you don't want to get a decent AV receiver with pre-outs, using the crude hack of a speaker to line level converter is your only option.

You could also just ditch the AV receiver and do your DSP+room EQ on a PC, but most streaming services don't expose their highest video+audio quality on PC.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
using the crude hack of a speaker to line level converter is your only option.
Make one with electrolytic capacitors. I used electrolytic capacitors for high level and DC blocking to low level RCA terminations for years at my workbench. They work fine. Sounds good.

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Graphic EQ’s can be quite useful. If you want your room flat to .5db, perhaps not. Pro’s use them quite a bit.
Agreed, they can be.

I have no idea how popular graphics are today in the pro world. Certainly there was a time when they were the standard, but having owned and used the best over the years from Klark Teknic, UREI, White, and others, I just find them too limiting. (no pun intended) :)

kevin1969

I want a graphic equalizer that doesn't do anything but mirror whatever music's playing just because they look so cool. Although I guess I could just get a old cheap one and use the monitor outs.

rwortman

Forum Donor
Agreed, they can be.

I have no idea how popular graphics are today in the pro world. Certainly there was a time when they were the standard, but having owned and used the best over the years from Klark Teknic, UREI, White, and others, I just find them too limiting. (no pun intended) :)
With 31 bands per channel, you get pretty good control. It’s not perfect but you can get good sound.

OldHvyMec

Forum Donor
What are your targets frequencies? I don't know what you are trying to do. The room is the problem. Why are you adding anything other than targeted
fixes, for problem areas?

AV sound is AV sound. You keep adding things in the path that is exactly what you will get. Less High Fidelity and more problems than fixes.

Post some data and lets see what you got. Maybe someone has the fix for pennies of passive treatment. :cool:

As great as the DCX2496 is, it is still in the path of the mids and highs. It rolls off naturally at about 18K with great room treatment. I had to have
1000.00 worth of work to get any SQ at all. I'm pretty picky. BUT if 50 year old Mac gear sounds (a LOT) better to me, what can I say.

I try to stay out of trouble vs GET out of trouble.

Time to feed my chickens. Come on dog.

Regards

That is Bubs she is "The Dog"

Attachments

• 20180523_040838[1].jpg
    20180523_040838[1].jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Top Bottom