• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Equalizer APO/Windows

stumper3819

Forum Donor
I have installed and run REW and Equalizer APO using the Julian Krause tutorial as reference. I am very pleased with the results. My question is two parts,
1} does Equalizer APO only equalize the digital stream from my spdif out{computer} to my playback device {avr, speakers}, or anything fed to my avr? CD, DVD, etc

2} If I am listening to CD's, does the computer with Equalizer Apo installed have to be powered on for the program to be active on my playback device[AVR}?

I have run and compared before and after with the Umik and REW and am extremely impressed with the sound and response graph, so I know its working on spdif out of computer.

Sorry about the NEWB question, Thanks

Tks

Major Contributor
1) It only equalizes the selected outputs being used on the computer. Since you have Optical going out of the computer, as long as the program is active, all sound out of the computer leaving Optical will be equalized.

2) Yes, EQ APO doesn't influence anything if the computer is shut off. APO doesn't interface with anything if the program isnt running.

weasels

You can pick which outputs are equalized during configuration, so if you select analog outputs those will also be equalized.

OP
S

stumper3819

Forum Donor
AHHHH, so if I bought one of the many well reviewed DAC's on here, and used the analog out to my avr, I would probably have usb, optical, and coax for my device inputs. Am i understanding this correctly? Thanks for the quick responses guys, I really appreciate it!

weasels

I'm not 100% sure I understand your question, but it would work something like this:

Computer with EQ APO -> USB -> DAC -> RCA or Balanced Analog Out -> AVR

You configure EQ APO to be active on the output to the DAC, then just use whatever input on the AVR that the DAC is plugged into.

Only signals coming from the DAC into that input will be equalized, so a turntable plugged into the phono in on your AVR or a DVD player plugged in via HDMI won't be equalized because they aren't using the PC with EQ APO as a source.

If you want to use EQ APO regardless of source, you need to use your PC as a media center and route signals from the sources to the PC, then from the PC into your AVR (or from your PC to a DAC and then an AVR).

OP
S

stumper3819

Forum Donor
Thanks weasels, That is what I meant. I will configure APO with a DAC as output device and have computer/usb, dvd/coax, tv/optical input into the DAC. Then rca output from DAC to AVR

weasels

Thanks weasels, That is what I meant. I will configure APO with a DAC as output device and have computer/usb, dvd/coax, tv/optical input into the DAC. Then rca output from DAC to AVR

In your scenario, in order to equalize the DVD/coax and TV/optical, you would need them to route into your PC first, then from the PC to the DAC. Connecting from a source to the DAC without the PC in between won't allow EQ APO to do its thing.

Atanasi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
In your scenario, in order to equalize the DVD/coax and TV/optical, you would need them to route into your PC first, then from the PC to the DAC. Connecting from a source to the DAC without the PC in between won't allow EQ APO to do its thing.
More specifically, equalizing coaxial or optical inputs would require a device with SPDIF recording to PC. They are not very common and are typically for professionals. For example, RME ADI-2 DAC supports SPDIF recording and DAC playback at the same time, so it could be used for this kind of DSP of SPDIF signals.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I solved the TV/Optical program by using a web browser on my computer instead of the Netflix app on the TV.

OP
S

stumper3819

Forum Donor
Thanks guys, I originally assumed the only audio APO would affect would originate from my computer. Awhile back I may have misinterpreted another thread on topic. Thanks for setting me straight. I will stick with Amazon hd music, my cd files, and Ron Texas on tv/optical. Thanks for the help!

SimpleTheater

Forum Donor
A couple questions about this program. Is there a way to turn off 'auto save'? Whenever I play around with the eq settings and simply exit, those settings are back. Very frustrating, but I'm hoping there's an option I'm missing.

Also, when I open a saved file, nothing happens. The only file that makes any changes is config.txt. Is there a way to open a file and use those settings, or do you have to Save As and overwrite config.txt?

Thanks.

3125b

Major Contributor
You can save multiple files and include them in config.exe. Do this in the configuration editor:
1) Create a new file with whatever content you want and save it in the standard folder
2) Now open config.exe and add a new element -> "control" -> "include" and then the left button lets you open a saved file
In order for the EQ to be active both the configuration file and the "include" entry have to be activated, looks something like this:
1611676318381.png1611676367059.png

fieldcar

You can save multiple files and include them in config.exe. Do this in the configuration editor:
1) Create a new file with whatever content you want and save it in the standard folder
2) Now open config.exe and add a new element -> "control" -> "include" and then the left button lets you open a saved file
In order for the EQ to be active both the configuration file and the "include" entry have to be activated, looks something like this:
View attachment 108532View attachment 108533
I should do this. Thanks for the tip!
Most of the time, I just tweak the EQ for a bit and then reset it when I'm done.

audioJon

Is it possible to wirelessly stream equalized files (using Equalizer APO) to Bluesound Node or does only hard wired from the computer work?

Top Bottom