• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Equalizer APO and playback device settings in windows

Hippocamp

I'm implementing headphone EQ using EQ APO. Players are Foobar and Qobuz.

Since APO requires "non-exclusive" mode, the rate/depth of output to DAC is set in Windows via the playback device menu.

Do people tend to re-set the windows rate/depth each time the rate in the file changes (say, from 44.1/16 to 96/24)? Would there be any downside to just leaving the windows setting at a relatively high level (e.g., 96/24)?

Offler

If possible I play music or movies through exclusive mode where EAPO is not used, but if you cant or dont want to use it, there are following approaches to use different rate/depth:
1. 44/16 - because its CD quality.
2. 48/24 because its DVD/BluRay audio quality.
Both above are following the rule that you want to play source on same rate/depth, without any conversion. If the source and output do match, the playback is almost like in exclusive bit-matched mode. If they dont, the conversion in Windows will chew a lot of quality away.

Some will prefer 24bit output all the time, simply because it will not damage original stream in any way, while extending resolution for mixer.

3. 96/24 or higher, because higher resolution lowers the aliasing artifacts.
This one is chosen when conversion is not avoidable - for example games use 44 or 48KHz without any notice anywhere and you may get info about audio only by reverse-engineering the game.

For me the best value was 192/24 because artifacts moved beyond 20KHz and are inaudible. It can be specific behavior of my DAC, but I would not use lower resolution, simply because Windows Mixer as a feature can benefit from higher resolution output.

Downsides... i see higher sample and bit rate in a similar way as a display resolution. The higher, the better are attempts of displaying low-resolution content. However you might get bugs from certain game titles - sometimes they may not expect anything higher than 96/24.

Last edited:
Top Bottom