• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Equalization in Roon vs. RME ADI-2? Which is better?

Theodore8

Forum Donor
I use Roon feeding an RME ADI-2 end point.

I am wondering what are the pros and cons are of using Roon's equalization vs. the RME ADI-2's (5-band-only) equalization.

Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

KeithPhantom

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

I am wondering what are the pros and cons are of using Roon's equalization vs. the RME ADI-2's (5-band-only) equalization.

If you go for a full correction, the 10 filters Roon offers make it possible, 5 of the RME won't cut it. If you do not mind making your own 5-filter EQ with AutoEQ or using any other 5-filter settings, the RME is good enough. EQing at the RME stage also lets anything that you connect to it also output EQ'd audio, while with Roon you can only output anything you play through Roon. Roon is more powerful with convolution filters, which are even better at correcting flaws than parametric EQ.

OP
Theodore8

Theodore8

Forum Donor
If you go for a full correction, the 10 filters Roon offers make it possible, 5 of the RME won't cut it. If you do not mind making your own 5-filter EQ with AutoEQ or using any other 5-filter settings, the RME is good enough. EQing at the RME stage also lets anything that you connect to it also output EQ'd audio, while with Roon you can only output anything you play through Roon. Roon is more powerful with convolution filters, which are even better at correcting flaws than parametric EQ.
Thank you very much. Very helpful.

I conclude that, if I output only from Roon:

1. There is no difference in sound quality EQing with Roon vs. RME ADI-2;

2. If I have a powerful enough Roon core, I should use Roon to EQ, and not bother with using EQ on the RME ADI-2.

storing

Forum Donor
5 of the RME won't cut it.
It's actually 7 if taking the Bass/Treble ones into account which can be changed just like the others (minus some limits regarding frequency range etc). Still not 10, but depending on application it can be enough.

There is no difference in sound quality EQing with Roon vs. RME ADI-2
IIRC the Adi manual mentions which types of filters are used exactly, and these are known fairly standard mathematical equations turned into software, so if Roon uses the same filters then given the same parameter sets bot should produce the exact same output. Even if not, it's hard to talk about this as difference in 'quality': a different type of filter yields different sound but it's usually not possible to qualify that as better or worse - just different.

tldr; as far as sound goes I'd say it doesn't matter, so what's left is mostly preference/convenience of application. E.g. without EQ my headphone isn't all that so it would be weird for me when depending on the software I'm using, the sound is different. So even if I'd not be using EQ on the Adi I'd still use Equalizer APO not Roon's EQ so that when I occasionally play through youtube/soundcloud/whatever, EQ is still applied. Also changing EQ and naming presets etc on the Rme isn't exactly the most user-friendly experience so when creating new EQ I almost always do it on the PC first and then when satisfied make a new preset on the Adi.

OP
Theodore8

Theodore8

Forum Donor
...changing EQ and naming presets etc on the Rme isn't exactly the most user-friendly experience...
Thank you!

And thank you also for confirming that I'm not alone!... Have wasted hours trying to save & name presents on the ADI-2... still not sure how it exactly works...

storing

Forum Donor
still not sure how it exactly works...
Yeah.. The manual explains it fairly well, following it step by step should get you there in no time; that being said: I'm used to operating various hardware devices with controls like that so even after forgetting how it works exactly I can figure it out quickly, and given the amount of knobs available they did a good job, but that doesn't change the simple fact that objectively speaking it's still not exactly easy let alone convenient and that for 'normal' people it can be annoying to no end :) Just like the VOL/EQ/... labels being below their respective buttons remains an endless struggle for me. Ok I'm used otherwise, but still: device is usually below eye level, most of humanity reads top to bottom, so why oh why did they put the labels below the buttons?

Music1969

Major Contributor

If RME does what you need, then no need for Roon.

If RME doesn't do what you need (I need 10-bands PEQ) then need software EQ.

It all comes down to specific needs.

Willem

Major Contributor
I use the filters on the ADI-2 to equalize the high passed main speakers above about 80 Hz. Frequencies below that are reproduced by the low passed subwoofers, equalized by an Antimode 8033 for now, and perhaps MSO in future.

Bernd

Forum Donor
I would also always do as much down stream as possible of the signal path (the Dac) because it would work whatever signal path you use. Alas, the RMI way of operation is really as user unfriedly as it gets.

OP
Theodore8

Theodore8

Forum Donor
I would also always do as much down stream as possible of the signal path (the Dac) because it would work whatever signal path you use. Alas, the RMI way of operation is really as user unfriedly as it gets.
Thank you. In the RME ADI-2, the one thing I have trouble with is how to save an EQ profile that I have changed manually to a specific register and then give it a name. I have managed to do it a couple times - by chance— , but never was able to remember afterwards the exact sequence that led to success. I wish RME would post a step-by-step instructional video.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you very much. Very helpful.

I conclude that, if I output only from Roon:

1. There is no difference in sound quality EQing with Roon vs. RME ADI-2;

2. If I have a powerful enough Roon core, I should use Roon to EQ, and not bother with using EQ on the RME ADI-2.
On point 2, not factoring for ease of use, if you need more than 5 bands and don’t need to eq on any other sources-the answer is probably yes. If you need eq on more than one source into the rme, roon won’t help you.

Paolo

Alas, the RMI way of operation is really as user unfriedly as it gets.
Logical, yes, user friendly is not.
The ADI DAC is a consumer product and would greatly benefit from an interface designer make-up, starting from the knobs, a directional cross, like the ones on game pads, would solve many of the usability problems of the RME.

OP
Theodore8

Theodore8

Forum Donor
OP
Theodore8

Theodore8

Forum Donor
On point 2, not factoring for ease of use, if you need more than 5 bands and don’t need to eq on any other sources-the answer is probably yes. If you need eq on more than one source into the rme, roon won’t help you.
Great point. Thank you.

Bernd

Forum Donor
You know, I have lost and messed up so many presets, you would not believe me. I'm okay know but the learning curve was akin to climbing the Mount Everest without oxygen mask. In my experience the biggest fundament flaw in the interface is that RME did not make 2 separate functions for 'load a setup' and 'save a setup' (the same goes for 'loading/saving an EQ curve/setting). Instead is à combined loading&saving function through have scroll or rather roll. It starts with 'loading setup 1 - 8' and once roll further it switches to 'saving to setup 1 - 8' without any warning. You have to be fully concentrated to get that right. Otherwise you load instead to saving or the other way. One DAC that gets that right is the E1DA DAC2, which alas is for headphones only (Graphic UI control from an app on your smartphone). I already sent a mail to RME to have a look and learn a few thing about userfriendliness.

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you for pointing me to this video.
However, it is missing the part where I need help: the sequence of steps to follow to save a changed profile to a specific register.
Go to EQ menu (push EQ button twice), the last item is "Save to", with encoder 2 you set the preset you want to write it to.

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I already sent a mail to RME to have a look and learn a few thing about userfriendliness.
:facepalm:

Folks, the RME DAC is a complex machine and therefore its operation is complex too, that's unavoidable. Putting that amount of functionality in such a small screen is quite an achievement actually.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
:facepalm:

Folks, the RME DAC is a complex machine and therefore its operation is complex too, that's unavoidable. Putting that amount of functionality in such a small screen is quite an achievement actually.
That’s true, but as home consumers seem to be a segment that RME are now pitching towards they may wish to prepare for less sophisticated users who may be confused by a more complex ui. @MC_RME it’s a rock and a hard place I know.

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That’s true, but as home consumers seem to be a segment that RME are now pitching towards they may wish to prepare for less sophisticated users who may be confused by a more complex ui.
Everyone likes to sell products, but I don't think RME is targeting the average home user. Average home users want a button to start the music and another one to stop it. The average user in ASR is not the average user :) I don't think RME never left the professional segment, I think they spotted a kind of corner case where professionals and aficionados can have similar needs.

Top Bottom