• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

EQ Software for Windows, Linux, macOS, iOS/iPadOS and Android.

threni

Major Contributor
lol... Ima getting old or something. I extrapolated Windows compatible from the x86 nomenclature. I know better but I made the mistake anyway...lol.. Okies I removed Volumio from the Windows category. Thanks for the heads up. :D
No worries. I often see both x86 and PC used to mean "computers which run Windows". I'm just happy to help make your list more accurate; I found it very useful, so thanks for that. Previously I was running mpd on Raspbian and it was a hassle to use any sort of EQ; there was a graphic equaliser which was ok but I never saw any parametric EQ and certainly no popular EQ where I could just look up the numbers for my headphones and pop them in, so I ended up getting a Schiit Loki which is great but which has only limited control. Then I saw moOde on your list and decided to give it a go and now I use it on both my home and portable systems, and I've stopped using the Loki altogether. So you owe me £160.

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
No worries. I often see both x86 and PC used to mean "computers which run Windows". I'm just happy to help make your list more accurate; I found it very useful, so thanks for that. Previously I was running mpd on Raspbian and it was a hassle to use any sort of EQ; there was a graphic equaliser which was ok but I never saw any parametric EQ and certainly no popular EQ where I could just look up the numbers for my headphones and pop them in, so I ended up getting a Schiit Loki which is great but which has only limited control. Then I saw moOde on your list and decided to give it a go and now I use it on both my home and portable systems, and I've stopped using the Loki altogether. So you owe me £160.
Nice to see moOde working out so well. :D There always the For Sale Section for your Schiit Loki. :facepalm: I'm looking about for a EQ for my notebook. I will probably load on of the usual combOs:
Equalizer APO is a parametric / graphic equalizer for Windows.
PC Equalizer is a Graphical User Interface for "Equalizer APO" which is a parametric / graphic equalizer.
Peace equalizer is a Windows PC interface for Equalizer APO.

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
Right, this is madenning now.

I've just hooked up my new EX5 (very nice, BTW). Equalizer APO simply isn't making any difference at all. The player now shows correctly as the EX5.

I've tried the -15dB trick from Page. Nothing. I've tried enabling/disabling exclusive mode. Nothing.

RHO

Major Contributor
Right, this is madenning now.

I've just hooked up my new EX5 (very nice, BTW). Equalizer APO simply isn't making any difference at all. The player now shows correctly as the EX5.

I've tried the -15dB trick from Page. Nothing. I've tried enabling/disabling exclusive mode. Nothing.
I'm sad this happens to you.
I'm happy I'm not the only one where Equalizer APO has erratic behavior from time to time.
Very frustrating.
It's THE reason I only buy headphones that also sound decent without EQ.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just wanted to update the thread on Waves Q10 plugin that can be used with Sound Source in Mac. The plugin allows you to use 10 band PEQ and allows to select the number of bands as a profile within Sound Source. Additionally i found out that the plugin distinguishes the "stereo" and "mono" profile for number of bands with a small (s) or (m). For a solid month i had been using a 10 band mono PEQ without really paying attention and finally saw that the (s) annotation was for stereo which gives you added functionality
. Screen Shot 2021-09-20 at 4.15.50 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-09-20 at 4.17.32 PM.png

Huey2001

Hello, I am missing iPeng for IOS (iPhone, iPad, Apple watch support) as player for the squeezeboxserver/Logitech Media Server. When adding the paid local player option, you get access to a (normal ie not parametric) equalizer as well. Perfect as LMS integrates Spotify, Qobuz and Tidal, Bandcamp and what ever…
does a frontend not count?

Also, I have no experience with it, as I use Neutron on IOS, but Kaisertone is a paid app, also for IOS and is supposedly containing an equalizer (not parametric I think)

Last edited:
OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello, I am missing iPeng for IOS (iPhone, iPad, Apple watch support) as player for the squeezeboxserver/Logitech Media Server. When adding the paid local player option, you get access to a (normal ie not parametric) equalizer as well. Perfect as LMS integrates Spotify, Qobuz and Tidal, Bandcamp and what ever…
does a frontend not count?

Also, I have no experience with it, as I use Neutron on IOS, but Kaisertone is a paid app, also for IOS and is supposedly containing an equalizer (not parametric I think)
Alrightyy. I added the Kaisertone and the iPeng links. Thanks muchO. :D

McLenin

Thanks a lot for these! Btw. I use almost exclusively JRiver on Ubuntu. Never tried to EQ much, but do you think I can use the settings for lets say headphones in the embedded EQ of JRiver or do I have to use different EQ?

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks a lot for these! Btw. I use almost exclusively JRiver on Ubuntu. Never tried to EQ much, but do you think I can use the settings for lets say headphones in the embedded EQ of JRiver or do I have to use different EQ?
The JRiver EQ will work fine although it might not work from stuff not being played by JRiver. A system wide EQ/PEQ will use EQ on all sources.

McLenin

The JRiver EQ will work fine although it might not work from stuff not being played by JRiver. A system wide EQ/PEQ will use EQ on all sources.
Thank you very much for the information. Have to try it during weekend (found Oratory1990 settings for EPOS/Sennheiser Game One headphones I bought a few weeks back). Those are primarily on my game PC, but will try them :)

Edit: spelling

Last edited:

Burning Sounds

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It will if you use the JRiver WDM driver which routes everything through the JRiver DSP engine. It is one of the real strengths of JRiver IMO

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I essentially agree with you.

Your point is one of the main reasons for my flexible utilization of independent software crossover DSP/EQ "EKIO" together with ASIO4ALL, VB Audio Virtual Cable and VB Audio Hi-Fi Cable and ASIO Bridge.

hege

Forum Donor
It will if you use the JRiver WDM driver which routes everything through the JRiver DSP engine. It is one of the real strengths of JRiver IMO
The WDM driver is far from perfect, very finicky with buffer settings and prone to glitching. It's much simpler to use Equalizer APO with zero latency EQ for system wide (youtube etc) and leave Jriver dedicated for "hifi" use.

But yeah I used Tidal for a while, Jriver WDM is the only option for "bitperfect" high quality playback there..

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

hyperknot

After reading that in ProQ 3 I need to multiply every value by 1.41 (precisely sqrt(2)) to get a compatible setting, I got a bit confused and I've spend half the day comparing macOS EQ solutions.

I made a log sweep .wav file, 24/96/mono.
I took oratory1990's Sennheiser HD650 Optimum settings, and I applied:
- FabFilter ProQ, with 1.41 correction
- FabFilter ProQ, without correction
- EqualizerAPO (via benchmark.exe, 16-bit only)
- AUNBand from Apple (included free in macOS)

Then I compared them all using DeltaW.

Results:
AUNBand ~ EQApo: 77 dB / 71 dBA, gain error max -35 dB
ProQ corrected ~ EQApo: 80 dB / 73 dBA, gain error max -37 dB
ProQ corrected ~ AUNband: 85 dB / 94 dBA, gain error max -37 dB
---
ProQ non-corrected ~ EQApo: 19 dB / 19 dBA, gain error max -3.6 dB (!!)

I'm just starting on EQ-ing, but I guess this tests showed that:
- ProQ needs the 1.41 Q correction!
- EQ-s produce kind of similar results, but not very perfectly.
- The macOS included AUNBand is doing a fine job, at least it is more similar to ProQ then EQApo. It might not necessarily mean good nor bad though.

Is there a reference 10 band parametric EQ which we can use to compare with?

If someone needs it, I'm happy to share my files or settings I used.

I used DeltaW with the following config and I selected Yes when it asked for "simple sine wave" (@pkane is this right?):

deltaw.png

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
After reading that in ProQ 3 I need to multiply every value by 1.41 (precisely sqrt(2)) to get a compatible setting, I got a bit confused and I've spend half the day comparing macOS EQ solutions.

I made a log sweep .wav file, 24/96/mono.
I took oratory1990's Sennheiser HD650 Optimum settings, and I applied:
- FabFilter ProQ, with 1.41 correction
- FabFilter ProQ, without correction
- EqualizerAPO (via benchmark.exe, 16-bit only)
- AUNBand from Apple (included free in macOS)

Then I compared them all using DeltaW.

Results:
AUNBand ~ EQApo: 77 dB / 71 dBA, gain error max -35 dB
ProQ corrected ~ EQApo: 80 dB / 73 dBA, gain error max -37 dB
ProQ corrected ~ AUNband: 85 dB / 94 dBA, gain error max -37 dB
---
ProQ non-corrected ~ EQApo: 19 dB / 19 dBA, gain error max -3.6 dB (!!)

I'm just starting on EQ-ing, but I guess this tests showed that:
- ProQ needs the 1.41 Q correction!
- EQ-s produce kind of similar results, but not very perfectly.
- The macOS included AUNBand is doing a fine job, at least it is more similar to ProQ then EQApo. It might not necessarily mean good nor bad though.

Is there a reference 10 band parametric EQ which we can use to compare with?

If someone needs it, I'm happy to share my files or settings I used.

I used DeltaW with the following config and I selected Yes when it asked for "simple sine wave" (@pkane is this right?):

View attachment 158276

Hi @hyperknot ,

I'd try to turn off simple waveform option, and turn on correct clock drift, subsample offset, match gain, and remove DC offset, instead. If DeltaWave detects that the waveform is a simple periodic one, it'll ask you if you want to process it that way:

1633877565801.png

Either way, the above settings should be checked for better matching between waveforms, otherwise you are just aligning them on a sample boundary which is a poor way to align dissimilar waveforms.

Top Bottom