• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

EQ Software for Windows, Linux, macOS, iOS/iPadOS and Android.

RHO

Major Contributor
D

Deleted member 35396

Hello. Does Roon count?
I am applying EQ to my headphone using this.
Screen Shot 2021-08-11 at 17.39.05.png

bexi

I have been beta-tester and using PcmStreamer software daily. It has good EQ with ability to import settings from REW. Convolver allows even more things to fiddle with really high quality. Also things like custom dithering, DC blocking, invert phase, compression, waveshaping, upsampling and balance with timing.
PcmStreamer can be used as local playback only in Windows or you can stream music to Linux (like raspberry) or Windows client with low latency. Local playback requires ASIO-driver. Software uses (and requires) VB-Audio ASIO Bridge under the hood. Main thing is that with WASAPI Exclusive mode you can bypass Windows mixer and use EQ. Works with any playback software, internet browsers and games.
www.pcmstreamer.com

jae

Major Contributor
We really need some neat, user-friendly APO to apply systemwide autoeq, convolution etc in windows.

Thalis

Has anyone tried DCCToolbox? I am trying to figure out how to export a curve to AutoEQ/Wavelet. Or should I ask this someplace else?

jae

Major Contributor
I have been beta-tester and using PcmStreamer software daily. It has good EQ with ability to import settings from REW. Convolver allows even more things to fiddle with really high quality. Also things like custom dithering, DC blocking, invert phase, compression, waveshaping, upsampling and balance with timing.
PcmStreamer can be used as local playback only in Windows or you can stream music to Linux (like raspberry) or Windows client with low latency. Local playback requires ASIO-driver. Software uses (and requires) VB-Audio ASIO Bridge under the hood. Main thing is that with WASAPI Exclusive mode you can bypass Windows mixer and use EQ. Works with any playback software, internet browsers and games.
www.pcmstreamer.com

Will give this a try, thanks

bexi

Will give this a try, thanks
There are not many users currently. Would be nice to see some feedback.
Windows to Windows streaming and Convolver Soxr resampling are not available on current stable release. Please contact me if you want latest beta-release.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Another possible linux option - the release notes for pipewire 0.3.34 say its filter chain now includes a fast convolver. I'm not sure if this is referring to the use of the already listed jconvolver in the post-processing example, or something else. Perhaps someone here is using it and can give more details?
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/pipewire/pipewire/-/wikis/Filter-Chain
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/pipewire/pipewire/-/wikis/Simple-audio-post-processing

Pipewire is heading towards being a drop-in replacement for both jack and pulseaudio. It's not widely used yet, but linux distributions are starting to migrate to it.

PulseEffects has been renamed EasyEffects as recent versions have moved from using pulseaudio to requiring pipewire. Both names should probably be listed as most linux releases are still using pulseaudio, so will need to use the older PulseEffects version not the recent EasyEffects.

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Another possible linux option - the release notes for pipewire 0.3.34 say its filter chain now includes a fast convolver. I'm not sure if this is referring to the use of the already listed jconvolver in the post-processing example, or something else. Perhaps someone here is using it and can give more details?
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/pipewire/pipewire/-/wikis/Filter-Chain
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/pipewire/pipewire/-/wikis/Simple-audio-post-processing

Pipewire is heading towards being a drop-in replacement for both jack and pulseaudio. It's not widely used yet, but linux distributions are starting to migrate to it.

PulseEffects has been renamed EasyEffects as recent versions have moved from using pulseaudio to requiring pipewire. Both names should probably be listed as most linux releases are still using pulseaudio, so will need to use the older PulseEffects version not the recent EasyEffects.
Added this stuff to the list. Thanks MuchO. :D

Oldasdrt

Deadbeef for Linux, Ubuntu, great player,

Absolutly love Pulse Effects, I have had it for awhile, still learning it

threni

Major Contributor
OK I added it to the list. Thanks MuchO. :D

Gentle reminder to move Volumio out of the list of Windows software assuming you're a "facts enthusiast" (it's essentially linux/mpd so should be next to moOde. Underneath it, maybe - it's not as good).

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Gentle reminder to move Volumio out of the list of Windows software assuming you're a "facts enthusiast" (it's essentially linux/mpd so should be next to moOde. Underneath it, maybe - it's not as good).
I added Volumio to the Linux list underneath moOde. Why should Volumio be removed from the Windows list?

threni

Major Contributor
I added Volumio to the Linux list underneath moOde. Why should Volumio be removed from the Windows list?
Odd. I was sure it was only available as a Linux distro. Are you sure you can also install it on Windows? I suppose you could run it as a virtual machine on Windows.

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Odd. I was sure it was only available as a Linux distro. Are you sure you can also install it on Windows? I suppose you could run it as a virtual machine on Windows.
Hmmz I downloaded the Volumio Windows file.. It's a image file when unzipped. Can't install to test but it said it is a x86 version in the file name.

threni

Major Contributor
Hmmz I downloaded the Volumio Windows file
I don't believe you did.
It's a image file when unzipped. Can't install to test but it said it is a x86 version in the file name.
x86 is street slang for a cpu. Windows, Linux and other OSes run on the x86; the Pi image is Raspbian which is a Linux distro which runs on ARM, etc.

Last edited:
OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't believe you did.

x86 is street slang for a cpu. Windows, Linux and other OSes run on the x86; the Pi image is Raspbian which is a Linux distro which runs on ARM, etc.
lol... Ima getting old or something. I extrapolated Windows compatible from the x86 nomenclature. I know better but I made the mistake anyway...lol.. Okies I removed Volumio from the Windows category. Thanks for the heads up. :D

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not sure if Apple's capability matches Android's equivalent apps, as I don't have Android...

Apple's ability to EQ sound system wide is crippled... You can only do it for local files with certain music players, so tens of thousands of songs vs up to a trillion trillion on Android, plus sound effects, videos, etc.

Android: EQ a virtually infinite number of songs, videos or sounds, as many as humanity can creater before the heat death of the universe.

iOS: We hate new uses for our phone so you can EQ things withing your own app, but users shouldn't be allowed to experience an app that improves or affects another one because that is confusing.

One of the few things that keeps me from an iPhone until Dan Clark makes a Stealth that supports the latest Bluetooth codec, active noise cancellation, and a lawsuit against Apple so that spatial audio will render for billions of pairs of headphones instead of just a handful of models. :(

Top Bottom