• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

EQ Software for Windows, Linux, macOS, iOS/iPadOS and Android.

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For Mac:
VST/AU hosts: Rogue Amoeba's Audio Hijack & Soundsource, Kushview - Element and Plogue Bidule

VST/AU for EQ or convolution filter hosting: LVC Audio - Toned, MeldaProduction - MEqualizer, Sir3, Tokyo Dawn - TDR Nova, Blue Cat's MB-7

Mac/Windows: X-MCFX - multichannel convolver plugin

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Question about the Neutron Music player for Apple iDevices:

I use SPOTIFY. Does the Neutron music player simply stay in the background , like EQ APO, invisible but doing the EQ works? I need my Spotify UI.
From my understanding of how Apple iOS platform works...no, you can't.

Apple devices don't run in the background like Android apps can. So you must be using the Neutron app to utilize it's PEQ function.

Of course, the way to be sure, is to ask the Neutron developer for confirmation on this issue.

Last edited:

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
How to upgrade Foobar2000's (for Windows) 18-band GEQ (with +-1dB gain adjustments), to a 31-band GEQ (with +-0.1db gain adjustments)?
1. Get the free addon "Graphic Equalizer" from https://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_dsp_xgeq
2. Download, save .zip to desktop
3. Foobar2000, file, preferences, components, select "install" button, select .zip from desktop, "apply", it will restart Foobar
4. To adjust GEQ, go to View, 'Graphic Equalizer', you'll see the 31-band GEQ (with +-0.1db gain adjustments).
Note: The original GEQ is still there, just under View, DSP, Equalizer.

fabius

On the Mac front, Rogue Amoeba's SoundSource recently got an update (29 Jan 2021, version 5.3.0) and among the new features it includes:
  • Manual Profiles for Headphone EQ
    In addition to profiles from the AutoEq library, the “Headphone EQ” effect can now load custom-created profiles, as well as files exported from Room EQ Wizard (REW).
I'm not fully up to speed with how all this works, and don't have any of the headphones Amir's created filters for, so I haven't properly tried it yet. Anyone else?

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
On the Mac front, Rogue Amoeba's SoundSource recently got an update (29 Jan 2021, version 5.3.0) and among the new features it includes:
    In addition to profiles from the AutoEq library, the “Headphone EQ” effect can now load custom-created profiles, as well as files exported from Room EQ Wizard (REW).
I'm not fully up to speed with how all this works, and don't have any of the headphones Amir's created filters for, so I haven't properly tried it yet. Anyone else?
I’ve imported PEQ files as .txt file in soundsource and it has worked really well. Definitely would like to import a REW profile for headphones if there were such a repository.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Boom: Bass Booster & Equalize‪r

For iOS/iPadOS:
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/boom-music-player-equalizer/id1065511007

For Android:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.globaldelight.boom

Has either:
- 8-band GEQ, with frequencies 60,100,230,500,1100,2400,5400,12000
- 16-band GEQ, with frequencies 40,60,75,100,150,230,350,500,750,1100,1600,2400,3600,5400,8000,12000
Gain adjustments are to 2 decimal places, wow?

It's free to install (tested on iPhone), but gives you a trial license immediately.
Here's Canadian pricing:
photo_2021-02-06_14-09-38.jpg
Here's all services it supports:
photo_2021-02-06_14-09-42.jpg
I tried to add my Spotify free, but it failed saying "Premium account needed".

Last edited:

txbdan

SoundSource is SO good. I've been using it since version 4. It just works so well and is exactly what I wanted/needed. The recent update is also a universal binary for M1 silicon support. It works great on my M1 MacBook Air, although it also worked fine via rosetta. I use SS to host DiracLive processor and have recently been playing with the headphone EQ as well.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I downloaded Peace Equalizer APO and am using Audirvana on my Windows10 PC. I can use the EQ with any other source than Audirvana. It's there a way to use it as a plug in?

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Latest version of 'Neutron Music Player' for iOS had this changelog (on Feb 16, 2021):
- Frequency Response Correction DSP (Playback - DSP Effect): to correct FR of the output device, collection of 5000+ AutoEq presets for 2500+ headphones for flattening their FR;
I found it inside the app (since I bought the app earlier), and verified it exists.
All AutoEQ's PEQ profiles are there.

On the same note, I also tweeted to 'Neutron' to look at another iOS app called 'Boom: Bass Booster & Equalize‪r'. They already added paid streaming services (like Spotify Paid, and Tidal) to their list of functions. I hope that Neutron adds this functionality as well. Once they do, it will be unbeatable for iOS devices.

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Latest version of 'Neutron Music Player' for iOS had this changelog (on Feb 16, 2021):

I found it inside the app (since I bought the app earlier), and verified it exists.
All AutoEQ's PEQ profiles are there.

Thanks for the heads up! I'd never have looked. Just checked, and there it is!

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do any of the Mac eq programs do individual left/right eq?
I wasn't aware that was feasible in mac OS. Sound Source allows to apply EQ to output and allows a modicum of coNtrol but don't think it has native functionality based on channel. Ill have to try it with mine and see if it works.

PaulD

I wasn't aware that was feasible in mac OS. Sound Source allows to apply EQ to output and allows a modicum of coNtrol but don't think it has native functionality based on channel. Ill have to try it with mine and see if it works.
Yes, it is easily possible, Fabfilter for example has separate LR EQ. I think there are a bunch of others, but there do not seem to be many free or consumer level plugins or systems with separate LR EQ on MacOS

txbdan

Maybe you can use some trickery with Blackhole or something to separate the L and R channels and set them up as separate sources in SoundSource. Then process individually with EQ.

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In SoundSource you can use multiple instances of the same plugin just like in a DAW. I just tried QRange and Span (both free) and was able to direct output to left or right. Element could also be used instead of SoundSource or any AU/VST host. See my post at #121.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I trialed FabFilter Pro-Q3 recently for PEQ and it's a neat piece of VST. Cool thing is you can run it within SoundSource in MacOS. The VST comes with tons of built in PEQ profiles, but you can also setup your own. Only unfortunate thing is the PEQ profile is not exportable as a universal file type such .txt file, it is in proprietary .ffp format. It's definitely a great piece of software for $179 but expensive enough that a casual audiophile may turn away from it.

Top Bottom