• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

EQ Software for Windows, Linux, macOS, iOS/iPadOS and Android.

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Also available for Apple iOS.
It's not free, and it costs US$7.99

It has Parametric Equalizer (4-60 band, fully configurable: type, frequency, Q, gain).
I added it to the iOS/Mac section and found downloads for ARM processor units... I'm guessing the ARM processors are used in Mac tablets and iPhone?

Grotti

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Dsp for Volumio (formerly known as brutefir3)

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
On the linux side (and more widely for some of them):
BruteFIR - the convolution engine used by daphile, Volumio's DSP plugin, an LMS plugin and probably others, also manually configurable in a custom alsa config, JACK etc. You can also use it to make crossovers.
BrutefirDRC - the LMS plugin that uses BruteFIR running on the server, configurable per endpoint. Archimago has a howto.
Jconvolver - formerly Zita-convolver, the convolution engine used in PulseEffects, which can also be used with JACK.
Alsaequal - an equalizer you can add to the alsa config. Basic usage is a fixed band graphic equalizer, but it can be used to give a control interface to any other LADSPA plugin via the usual alsa mixer interface. The normal alsa config for ladspa plugins only allows fixed configurations, although for something like an active crossover that's probably an advantage.

Plus there's a whole host of LADSPA plugins you can use via JACK, alsaequal, or with a fixed configuration in the alsa config file. A good example is the PE32LR parametric equalizer from the Linux Studio Plugins Project which provides the parametric equalizer for PulseEffects.

Edit: I should probably have mentioned underlying things like GStreamer, PulseAudio and PipeWire too, given I've talked about some of the other building blocks. PipeWire is intended to be a drop-in replacement for both PulseAudio and JACK, and eventually provide similar facilities for video.

Then there's HifiBerryOS and the DAC+ DSP, BeoCreate or the DSP addon for the DAC2 - the OS is built using linux and provides a nice graphical interfcae, but the DSP happens in hardware.

Last edited:
OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
On the linux side (and more widely for some of them):
BruteFIR - the convolution engine used by daphile, Volumio's DSP plugin, an LMS plugin and probably others, also manually configurable in a custom alsa config, JACK etc. You can also use it to make crossovers.
BrutefirDRC - the LMS plugin that uses BruteFIR running on the server, configurable per endpoint. Archimago has a howto.
Jconvolver - formerly Zita-convolver, the convolution engine used in PulseEffects, which can also be used with JACK.
Alsaequal - an equalizer you can add to the alsa config. Basic usage is a fixed band graphic equalizer, but it can be used to give a control interface to any other LADSPA plugin via the usual alsa mixer interface. The normal alsa config for ladspa plugins only allows fixed configurations, although for something like an active crossover that's probably an advantage.

Plus there's a whole host of LADSPA plugins you can use via JACK, alsaequal, or with a fixed configuration in the alsa config file. A good example is the PE32LR parametric equalizer from the Linux Studio Plugins Project which provides the parametric equalizer for PulseEffects.
Thank you kindly. I simply copy pasted your recommendations because you seem knowledgeable on the matter. :D

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Can you provide a screenshot of the glitch?

iphone-12-pro-hero2-100862073-orig.jpg

iOS/iPadOS are a separate species from macOS (nee OSX). There seems to be some convergence in that iOS apps may be usable on future Macs, but except when using the iDevice to share a Mac's screen macOS apps probably will never work on an iDevice.

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
iphone-12-pro-hero2-100862073-orig.jpg

iOS/iPadOS are a separate species from macOS (nee OSX). There seems to be some convergence in that iOS apps may be usable on future Macs, but except when using the iDevice to share a Mac's screen macOS apps probably will never work on an iDevice.
I understand what you say but I don't know why. Do I have some EQ software listed that should not be in the list?

bobbooo

Major Contributor

flipflop

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Could we limit this thread to PEQ software? Clearly, there's no shortage of options. For example, foobar2000 only offers graphic EQ.

I don't think REW lets you do any EQing. It just provides the framework of creating filters.
oratory1990 is not EQ software. He's a person providing headphone measurements which are accompanied by EQ filters.

There needs to be distinguished between free and paid for software. Free could be green, paid for could be red.
A distinction between EQ limited to the software (e.g. a media player) and system-wide EQ would be helpful.
It would be easier to make a choice if commonly recommended software like Equalizer APO, Peace GUI, PulseEffects, and Wavelet were marked in bold.

Lastly, the 'R' in 'Roon' has to be in uppercase despite the way the name is stylized.

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I understand what you say but I don't know why. Do I have some EQ software listed that should not be in the list?

No. I haven't looked in any depth because I view EQ'ing at one source a bad idea anyway. EQ should be downstream, especially on a device that may be sending music to headphones now, main speakers five minutes from now, background music speakers 20 minutes from that, etc. Who wants to fiddle with an EQ just to move a song from headphones to speakers? Also, all sources used should be able to benefit from EQ.

That said, there are certainly benefits to having known options catalogued. I was just noting that omitting the most important ecosystem for headphone use, and one of the most important for loudspeaker use (especially if AppleTV's tvOS is added) is a big hole in the list.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Also related to camilladsp there's camillagui to provide realtime control via a web gui. It's a relatively new and fast moving project, and requires some assembly rather than being something you just install and use like PulseEffects.

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Could we limit this thread to PEQ software?
The original request was for EQ software.

As per the remaining suggestions and requests I think I'll let the list build for a few days and see what is there and then perhaps divide it up into subsections like you suggest.

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
No. I haven't looked in any depth because I view EQ'ing at one source a bad idea anyway. EQ should be downstream, especially on a device that may be sending music to headphones now, main speakers five minutes from now, background music speakers 20 minutes from that, etc. Who wants to fiddle with an EQ just to move a song from headphones to speakers? Also, all sources used should be able to benefit from EQ.

That said, there are certainly benefits to having known options catalogued. I was just noting that omitting the most important ecosystem for headphone use, and one of the most important for loudspeaker use (especially if AppleTV's tvOS is added) is a big hole in the list.
ahhh. So I should add another section titled, "iOS/iPadOS"

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
The original request was for EQ software.

As per the remaining suggestions and requests I think I'll let the list build for a few days and see what is there and then perhaps divide it up into subsections like you suggest.
A filterable features matrix perhaps, similar to the master review index?

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Also related to camilladsp there's camillagui to provide realtime control via a web gui. It's a relatively new and fast moving project, and requires some assembly rather than being something you just install and use like PulseEffects.
Thank you, added to the list. :D

Top Bottom