• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

EQ Software for Windows, Linux, macOS, iOS/iPadOS and Android.

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Cool idea. A potential miniDSP clone for less than $50?

I admit I'm unclear on the audio input/outputs? I see one USB on the O-Pi Zero?
Both Rock Pi S and Orange Pi Zero have OTG on the power supply port. That is the the source end. Standard USB A is the DAC end.

More than its cost, I think the coolest thing about it is the fact that its an open source and open ended solution. You can add Spotify Connect, AirPlay, DLNA, UPnP or even Roon Bridge I believe so it is also a streamer if you like, i.e. miniDSP + Wim Pro. You can integrate Harmony Hub into it and control it from voice asistant as well if you like, so you can shout "Alexa, set the speakers to to movie"to boost mids to hear conversations better. Whatever you can develop yourself, whatever you can find on Git and whatever you can imagine is the limit. I am loving it.

Last edited:

JLGF1

OTG on the power supply port. That is the the source end. Standard USB A is the DAC end.

Any relatively straight-forward approach you know of to have optical in/out?

Last edited:

JLGF1

Looks like this could cover at least one optical interface? I'm fairly familiar with Linux kernel config, but not the SBC/HAT HW interface. ie I don't know how to add more than one. I could possibly work-around with this as output and USB as input.

Pi optical.jpg

JediMa

I'm quite new into equalizing my headphones, can I use Equalizer Apo with some library of settings optimized for my headphones?

JediMa

Many people upgrade EQ APO with Peace Equalizer. It's a more graphic experience and has more add-ONS.
Yes I installed it and it's better but still can't find out how to use the preset libraries

Sombreuil

APO doesn't seem to work since I reinstalled Windows 11, even when using SFX/MFX/EFX, nothing seems to work. Would installing Realtek help?

In case it wouldn't, I was wondering which alternative would you guys recommend among the EQs listed on the first post?

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
APO doesn't seem to work since I reinstalled Windows 11, even when using SFX/MFX/EFX, nothing seems to work. Would installing Realtek help?

In case it wouldn't, I was wondering which alternative would you guys recommend among the EQs listed on the first post?
Have you checked the configuration selecting the DAC that you use. After each Windows update the settings are lost and need to be reset.

dasdoing

Major Contributor
APO on Win11 needs a little playing around with "audio enhancements" sometimes. note that there are 2 settings panels in Windows now, the old one is still active (a little hidden), and sometimes you have to try combos of "audio enhancements" on/off on those two

Sombreuil

Have you checked the configuration selecting the DAC that you use. After each Windows update the settings are lost and need to be reset.
I have and it was already selected. I reinstalled it several times, no success. I even tried with an older version of APO, same result.
APO on Win11 needs a little playing around with "audio enhancements" sometimes. note that there are 2 settings panels in Windows now, the old one is still active (a little hidden), and sometimes you have to try combos of "audio enhancements" on/off on those two
I did select both of these options, nothing's changed.

Is there really no alternative that would allow me to use Oratory's EQs?

Edit: Found what caused the problem. Turn your GPU acceleration off in case nothing seems to work for you.

Last edited:

SyncMaster04

I'm quite new into equalizing my headphones, can I use Equalizer Apo with some library of settings optimized for my headphones?
IMO, AQUA-EQ is the best and easiest tool to use with Equalizer APO to apply various headphone presets. It has presets to EQ over 4700 headphone measurements to the Harman, IEF Neutral, and IEF with Bass target curves.

For Android, Wavelet is the best.

Last edited:

dasdoing

Major Contributor
I have and it was already selected. I reinstalled it several times, no success. I even tried with an older version of APO, same result.

I did select both of these options, nothing's changed.

Is there really no alternative that would allow me to use Oratory's EQs?

Edit: Found what caused the problem. Turn your GPU acceleration off in case nothing seems to work for you.

my man, trail and error. it will work somehow some way. I had this dificulty at one point, but strangly never had it again

dweeeeb2

Looking at the list at the start of this thread am I right in assuming that their output is all of the same quality? Its just a functionality decision in regards to what I use?
thanks

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Looking at the list at the start of this thread am I right in assuming that their output is all of the same quality? Its just a functionality decision in regards to what I use?
thanks
The features and such vary between the various EQ and PEQ. If you are using Windows I suggest install EQ APO and then install Peace EQ as the GUI and additional features. You will only need to use the Peace EQ after installing both packages. Be sure to disable the auto updates during the start-up so you don't lose settings during a auto update. If you are using Mac then use eqMac or SoundSource.

abm0

Forum Donor
Has everyone seen this?
Rootless JamesDSP

If it works as advertised (and can be tweaked to be "reasonably system-wide") this could be a "ViPER4Android for the masses", as it doesn't require a rooted Android.

I'm especially interested in the Convolver function, which is a critical V4A feature for me as that's how I apply my HRTF-based headphone corrections (it's basically like an unlimited-bands PEQ if you know how to use waveform editors like Audacity on your PC). I would lose that moving to my next phone if I opted to not root it in the interest of higher security, as V4A is root-only (as is the original JDSP). This would be my saving grace in that scenario.

Last edited:

abm0

Forum Donor
thanks
Well no. As one example, on Android there might be audible differences between apps that can "talk directly" to your USB DAC and feed it whatever resolution of material you want (e.g. if you want to oversample to mitigate some deficiencies in your DAC's reconstruction filter) and those whose output suffers forced resampling to whatever your Android version's fixed output resolution is, like 44.1k or 48k. Or within the latter category, between those that can do high-quality resampling themselves (so Android doesn't have to do it potentially badly) and those that can't.

Top Bottom