• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

EQ Software for Windows, Linux, macOS, iOS/iPadOS and Android.

KJohnM

I use Boom 3D on Windows and find it very user friendly and effective.

Reactions: trl

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Does any of you use the built-in Spotify EQ to finetune your headphone output? I just noticed it for the first time in "Settings".

And I have a bonus question: has anyone played around with having your headphones "out of phase"? I ask because as I was playing around with test tones, it was striking how in-phase was smack inside your head, and out-of-phase opened things. Not sure how it'd do with real music etc, since it's not as easy to set up your headphones out of phase as it is with speakers. :)

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Does any of you use the built-in Spotify EQ to finetune your headphone output? I just noticed it for the first time in "Settings".

And I have a bonus question: has anyone played around with having your headphones "out of phase"? I ask because as I was playing around with test tones, it was striking how in-phase was smack inside your head, and out-of-phase opened things. Not sure how it'd do with real music etc, since it's not as easy to set up your headphones out of phase as it is with speakers. :)
Out of phase sound Will sound awful , funny bass or no bass, stereo image in the toilet!
You won't like it.

shogo

I want a pc soft with sin signal freq slider, but where u can zoom certain freq range, like 7-10khz, for accurately catch peaks. Is there any for that?

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I want a pc soft with sin signal freq slider, but where u can zoom certain freq range, like 7-10khz, for accurately catch peaks. Is there any for that?

How about EKIO as system-wide DSP (XO/EQ) Center which I fully utilize in my multichannel multi-driver multi-amplifier stereo project?
"EKIO uses IIR filters. The processing is done using a cascade of second order transposed direct form II biquad sections. Every calculation is done using 64 bit floating point numbers." (please refer to post #139 and #140 on my project thread.)

Just for your reference, please find my latest system setup here and here on my project thread.
You may also find find here and here the Hyperlink Index for my project thread.

Eyesluna

I'm currently using soundsouce, and attempting to use the aunbandeq, and it works well, my only problem is that I can't seem to save it as a preset, has anyone else had similar issues with trying to get it to save presets?

Westsounds

One to add to the android list is a player, I always usually like using the stock players on devices however this one beats most players I've used on Windows, ios or android and has a great EQ.

It's available from android play and it's call Musicolet.

On my android phone its a slick minimalist interface with great search and play functions. But it also has a great equaliser and separate enhancement tab as well. The EQ section has a choice of 3 5 10 15 or 31 bands to choose from. And each audio device you connect can have its own personal setting of whatever it remembers to that device. It also has a gain boost section for perhaps Bluetooth devices with limited output.

This app has given some of my audio output devices and Bluetooth headphones a new lease of life. I love it. And it's free and doesn't have annoying pop up ads.

If it had the option of parametric EQ I don't think I would ever look for anything else ever again.

I only wish I could find something as good for Windows. I use Albumplayer (old version) because it's graphically easy and intuitive to use. However this has a very limited graphic equaliser built in to the interface and not as customisable as the android app I mentioned.

Of course these are stand alone software and the eqs can not be used outside their programs with for example watching YouTube or whatever. I did try FX sound for Windows which seemed to work well as an overlay and was lightweight on the system but I wasn't keen on the overall result, perhaps more play needed.

As for the one everyone seems to reach for APO and it other GUIs I think it's pretty atrocious to use software like this. Reminds me of something I'd use on my ZX Spectrum plus it's clunky and glitchy on the system when in use. Just wish I could find that perfect lightweight parametric for my windows needs.

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
One to add to the android list is a player, I always usually like using the stock players on devices however this one beats most players I've used on Windows, ios or android and has a great EQ.

It's available from android play and it's call Musicolet.
I added it to the list. Thank you very much! :D

Required

it seems that this no longer works on Monterey, perhaps they will fix this some day
Hi there

It do work although you need to launch it from the Terminal and make sure the Terminal are given proper permissions in Control panel for Integrity and Security - until Apple sort it out.

/Applications/AU\ Lab.app/Contents/MacOS/AU\ Lab

oversky

The author of JamesDSP for Linux creates a small utility to converts GraphicEQ CSV files to impulse responses for convolution.
The GraphicEQ in JamesDSP currently applies to both channels.
With this utility, we can have different EQ for each channel through convolution.

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The author of JamesDSP for Linux creates a small utility to converts GraphicEQ CSV files to impulse responses for convolution.
The GraphicEQ in JamesDSP currently applies to both channels.
With this utility, we can have different EQ for each channel through convolution.

Thanks for the details. Are any of these two links what you posted about?

oversky

Thanks for the details. Are any of these two links what you posted about?
Yes.
The first is a fork version for Linux of the second andriod one.

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was struggling with an EQ solution that I can use across multiple devices for a while now. Solution for me was CamillaDSP.

A Rock Pi S or an Orange Pi Zero LTS with a box costs ca $25. A 64Gb microSD card is $9. Combine those with camillaDSP and put them between your source and your DAC and voila - you have a fully functional EQ for $34, less than the cost of the Mac EQ app itself, except this solution works with Mac, PC, iPad (all tested) and presumably with Android Tablets as well (not tested), you don't need to setup different EQ apps on different devices and the same setup can be used as a streamer too. Sounds like a total win to me, and that was the main motivation behind CamillaNode as well.

To make it easier for people who don't feel comfortable around SBCs and using command line interfaces, I am hoping that I can prepare Debian images which you can download, etch on the SD card and start using immediately with minimum effort. Lets see if I can manage.

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was struggling with an EQ solution that I can use across multiple devices for a while now. Solution for me was CamillaDSP.

A Rock Pi S or an Orange Pi Zero LTS with a box costs ca $25. A 64Gb microSD card is $9. Combine those with camillaDSP and put them between your source and your DAC and voila - you have a fully functional EQ for $34, less than the cost of the Mac EQ app itself, except this solution works with Mac, PC, iPad (all tested) and presumably with Android Tablets as well (not tested), you don't need to setup different EQ apps on different devices and the same setup can be used as a streamer too. Sounds like a total win to me, and that was the main motivation behind CamillaNode as well.

To make it easier for people who don't feel comfortable around SBCs and using command line interfaces, I am hoping that I can prepare Debian images which you can download, etch on the SD card and start using immediately with minimum effort. Lets see if I can manage.

Nice! I wasn't sure how other SBCs besides the RPi worked in gadget mode, great to hear they work perfectly. Definitely a very nice, very powerful yet inexpensive solution.

Michael

JLGF1

For Android, I've tried quite a few GEQ apps. This 10-band app is the only one that has been entirely glitch free. Only downside for me is only one Custom preset slot (eg WiiM device has several Custom slots). Ads are unobtrusive or for a small charge you can disable them. You can assign different profiles to different output devices which is nice.

Flat-EQ.jpg

Last edited:

JLGF1

Combine those with camillaDSP and put them between your source and your DAC

Cool idea. A potential miniDSP clone for less than $50?

I admit I'm unclear on the audio input/outputs? I see one USB on the O-Pi Zero?

Top Bottom