• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

EQ Software for Windows, Linux, macOS, iOS/iPadOS and Android.

Davide

So this would be like leading edge stuff where via a GUI different audio software(s) can be ported to each other or be redirected? ... and that can include a EQ/PEQ? Because if it is I'll make a new category within the EQ/PEQ thread.
Yes, you've got the gist of the matter. This applies also to the "DS WASAPI ASIO Router Mixer" sw which I had reported earlier (this one has the built-in equalizer though).

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, you've got the gist of the matter. This applies also to the "DS WASAPI ASIO Router Mixer" sw which I had reported earlier (this one has the built-in equalizer though).
What is this category of software termed as. What would I name a new category for it as?

Davide

What is this category of software termed as. What would I name a new category for it as?
I would call it Audio Routing Software, maybe with a brief description (eg. sw for signal redirection between app, daw, hw input / output).

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I would call it Audio Routing Software, maybe with a brief description (eg. sw for signal redirection between app, daw, hw input / output).
It's up! :D Thanks for the suggestions.

Davide

Similar to PulseAudio, JACK and PipeWire?
I don't know them directly, but from what little I've read I think they are similar in function.

DeepFried

For Linux i'd suggest Carla. Its not EQ software itself per-se, its a plugin host. So it provides a virtual rack and patch bay to install your EQ plugins into (e.g. LSP). It works out of the box with Jack and supports a range of plugin types inc LADSPA, DSSI, LV2, VST2/3.

coonmanx

Any Ubuntu users out there? I just did an upgrade to Ubuntu 22. I was using the version of Pulse Audio equalizer which actually works. After the upgrade the EQ looks slightly different and will not enable. When you check the status it just says "disabled" no matter what. Here is a screenshot. It looks slightly different than what it looked like before the upgrade....

Screenshot at 2022-05-02 14-55-52.png

Despite the check mark showing that it is enabled... it is not...

cavedriver

Addicted to Fun and Learning
So is Equalizer APO kind of the defacto choice if I need basic parametric equalization to mirror the reviews on this site and I just want to play music from a browser or file player and am running my output through a USB-connected DAC? I saw some mention that Amir's settings from his reviews are available in one or more program's formats? PC/Windows I should clarify

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So is Equalizer APO kind of the defacto choice if I need basic parametric equalization to mirror the reviews on this site and I just want to play music from a browser or file player and am running my output through a USB-connected DAC? I saw some mention that Amir's settings from his reviews are available in one or more program's formats? PC/Windows I should clarify
Yes, EQ APO is the choice of most people. I used it with Peace for a graphical format and it operates very nicely.

John78

Hello,
is there any better alternative to Equalizer APO where I can load room correction txt EQ from REW?
EQ APO doesn't work with wasapi/asio and is based on windows mixer, which suck in terms of SQ.

I'm thinking JRiver should be able to do that, with some VST DSP?

Last edited:

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello,
is there any better alternative to Equalizer APO where I can load room correction txt EQ from REW?
EQ APO doesn't work with wasapi/asio and is based on windows mixer, which suck in terms of SQ.

I'm thinking JRiver should be able to do that, with some VST DSP?
If you drive a DAC from Windows there is no sound penalty whatsoever when using APO.

Other options. Roon, Volumio, Moode incl Camilla DSP (eg also on RPi)

ezublab

If you drive a DAC from Windows there is no sound penalty whatsoever when using APO.

Other options. Roon, Volumio, Moode incl Camilla DSP (eg also on RPi)
FusionDsp for volumio v.1.0.16 can load rew file directly..

Last edited:

NewbieAudiophileExpert

So I currently use REW and the UMIK-1 to ascertain the frequency response of speakers, and EQ them with the PEACE EQ - and I love it so far.. I love the simplicity of saving the REW file with EQ calibrations and then inserting it in to Peace EQ without any difficulties.

Now the only issue that I have is that I also use a mac and so Peace EQ doesn't work - an alternative that i have found is 'eqMAC', which is OK actually, but it doesn't provide a way to simply import REW's EQ calibrations as a file, and instead i waste 20 mins doing it manually.

Does anybody here have a solution to this, at all?

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
@NewbieAudiophileExpert
Install SoundSource (US$41 for license) for MacOS.

You need at least SoundSource v5.3 to do this (current version is v5.5.4, so you're set):

Once you install it, create an EAPO profile in a text file and save it to desktop (or wherever).
Example:
Preamp: -7.9 dB
Filter 1: ON PK Fc 210 Hz Gain -4.9 dB Q 0.46
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 753 Hz Gain 4.2 dB Q 1.88
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 1408 Hz Gain 3.1 dB Q 2.14
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 3236 Hz Gain 4.7 dB Q 3.06
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 11546 Hz Gain 7.2 dB Q 1.64

Once you've created your custom profile, you can load it in SoundSource by selecting "Add Other Profile"… from within Headphone EQ. Once you do, it will be included in your Saved Profiles section. If you wish to remove it, use the Manage Saved Profiles… option.

NewbieAudiophileExpert

@NewbieAudiophileExpert
Install SoundSource (US$41 for license) for MacOS.

You need at least SoundSource v5.3 to do this (current version is v5.5.4, so you're set):

Once you install it, create an EAPO profile in a text file and save it to desktop (or wherever).
Example:

Once you've created your custom profile, you can load it in SoundSource by selecting "Add Other Profile"… from within Headphone EQ. Once you do, it will be included in your Saved Profiles section. If you wish to remove it, use the Manage Saved Profiles… option.
Hey mate, those are some mighty fine instructions, thank you for that.

I've just made it work and this makes things so much easier - sure would love for the results to be displayed in a graphical interface, but the difference in sound quality is definitely there!

This makes doing the good ole REW and EQ adjustments so much easier off of my MacBook pro - unrelated, but I find this whole UMIK-1, REW, PEQ process amazing, since you can take a pair cheap speakers, and make them sound expensive.

Last edited:

DWPress

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
It appears only on "System Output" not the individual app volume settings.

Top Bottom