• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

EQ Software for Windows, Linux, macOS, iOS/iPadOS and Android.

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
A filterable features matrix perhaps, similar to the master review index?
That req's know-how that I don't have. It is a good idea although adding and editing the list later will req special peeps and the list might not be all that large. By keeping it simple anybody can go edit the details. Let's see what happens over the next few days.

On Windows:

- SoundID - by Sonarworks, uses Reference 4 profiles + quite a few for IEMs, presently in Beta, will require a subscription

The oratory1990 profiles are not Android-related.

I think there needs to a category for EQ profiles. This needs to include https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq - programmatically generated EQ profiles based on measurement from multiple sites (tooling can be used to generate profiles for target curves other than Harman)

MrGoodbits

Forum Donor
My personal favorite: CanOpener Studio, by Goodhertz. Crossfeed plugin, win and Mac, AAX, AU, VST, VST3.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Can you move "Neutron Music Player audiophile-grade platform-independent 32/64-bit audio engine, parametric EQ." to the iOS/iPadOS section?

Also, 'Mac OS X' or 'OS X' is no longer used, it's been replaced with MacOS to be consistent with iOS and iPadOS.

Weeb Labs

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I still refer to it as OS X. You'll never take me alive! ;)

sam_adams

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Need more suggestions if peeps have any. :D Please look over the details and advise me if I am missing anything.

You missed Apple's AU Lab. The download link is at the bottom of the previous link. Au Lab is an Apple developer app that gives access to all of the Audio Unit (AU) functions in macOS:

AULab1.png

AULab2.png

It is freely downloadable without a developer account.

EqMac and eqMac2 are the same app. EqMac2 is an older version of the app. There is a link at the bottom of the eqMac2 page that links to eqMac. Both apps support a 10-band graphic equalizer.

Boom3D and Boom2 are available from the 'compare' page. They are different in their features and cost. Cross-platform for Windows and macOS.

BillG

Major Contributor
OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You missed Apple's AU Lab. The download link is at the bottom of the previous link. Au Lab is an Apple developer app that gives access to all of the Audio Unit (AU) functions in macOS:

View attachment 99678

View attachment 99679

It is freely downloadable without a developer account.

EqMac and eqMac2 are the same app. EqMac2 is an older version of the app. There is a link at the bottom of the eqMac2 page that links to eqMac. Both apps support a 10-band graphic equalizer.

Boom3D and Boom2 are available from the 'compare' page. They are different in their features and cost. Cross-platform for Windows and macOS.
OK Got those, Thank you. :D

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Can you move "Neutron Music Player audiophile-grade platform-independent 32/64-bit audio engine, parametric EQ." to the iOS/iPadOS section?

Also, 'Mac OS X' or 'OS X' is no longer used, it's been replaced with MacOS to be consistent with iOS and iPadOS.
Done. :D

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
On Windows:

- SoundID - by Sonarworks, uses Reference 4 profiles + quite a few for IEMs, presently in Beta, will require a subscription

The oratory1990 profiles are not Android-related.

I think there needs to a category for EQ profiles. This needs to include https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq - programmatically generated EQ profiles based on measurement from multiple sites (tooling can be used to generate profiles for target curves other than Harman)
I think you are right. After the list is populated I'll see what categories can be used and what else needs to be identified and carry on from there.

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey Doodski, would it be possible to add which applications allow separate L&R eq control? Useful for room / speaker eq situations where the left and right are rarely the same.
Categorization is coming after the EQ list is populated and we can see what is req'd.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
REW should be listed under linux and I think MacOS too.
Foobar2000 should probably be listed under linux (runs under Wine, semi-supported in that questions in the support forum get answered and they've fixed wine-related issues in the past, and there are unofficial packages for easy installation in some distros). The download page has links for a mobile version for iOS and Android but I'm not sure if it has feature parity. There's a MacOS version too, but with caveats on its page about being incomplete.

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
REW should be listed under linux and I think MacOS too.
Foobar2000 should probably be listed under linux (runs under Wine, semi-supported in that questions in the support forum get answered and they've fixed wine-related issues in the past, and there are unofficial packages for easy installation in some distros). The download page has links for a mobile version for iOS and Android but I'm not sure if it has feature parity. There's a MacOS version too, but with caveats on its page about being incomplete.
Okidoki... Got those. Thank you muchO :D

Honken

Nice initiative!

I personally use the very aptly named program dsp in my Linux-based setup. Very happy with it as it lets you create arbitrary eq-pipelines and the fact that it is meant for headless applications suits me personally. The final configurations might become hard to read once you reach a certain level of complexity however.

Foxenfurter

Inguz similar to Brutefir provides EQ and Convolver for Windows and Linux LMS installs. Not sure if is usable standalone.

dorirod

DeaDBeeF (Linux, Windows, Mac OS build available) with SuperEQ plugin has 18 set frequency bands EQ.

Between UAPP and Netron on Android, what do people prefer? Which one is the better audio player and which has the better EQ implementation/UI?

Thanks for this thread!

Last edited:
Top Bottom