• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

EQ Software for Windows, Linux, macOS, iOS/iPadOS and Android.

threni

Major Contributor
OK. I added Volumio OS to the Windows list. Thankssss. :D
It's unrelated to Windows - it's a Linux distro running mpd under the hood. Think of it as a buggy version of moOde!

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
I’m getting music from two sources:

1 - Amazon Music HD
2 - WMP for ripped CDs on my NAS

On my pretty standard Dell Windows Laptop, through Equaliser APO USB into external DAC.

Any pitfalls I need to know about? Any reason this won’t be passing the digital bits unadulterated?

eas

Software EQ, by its essential nature, adulterates the digital bits.

threni

Major Contributor
Software EQ, by its essential nature, adulterates the digital bits.

Ah - that would depend on the exact definition of adulterates! Neither of my headphones are made worse/corrupted/"rendered poorer in quality" by the application of a spot of EQ. The fidelity of the original signal is compromised but only in an attempt to counteract what the headphones are doing to the signal. I think it's doing the opposite of adulteration!

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
Before we go off on a tangent (and thanks for the input) back to my original question, please.

Will Windows be doing anything nasty in-between the original file/stream, and the DAC?

Cheers.

Patrick1958

Forum Donor
Before we go off on a tangent (and thanks for the input) back to my original question, please.

Will Windows be doing anything nasty in-between the original file/stream, and the DAC?

Cheers.
When using a player capable of ASIO/WASAPI you get bit perfect transmission without any interaction of windows.

threni

Major Contributor

Cheers.

Well, strictly speaking if you're not talking about applying EQ then it is you who are going off on a tangent, given the subject of this thread... :)

Reactions: eas

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
Well, strictly speaking if you're not talking about applying EQ then it is you who are going off on a tangent, given the subject of this thread... :)

Firstly, I am using it for EQ.

Secondly, I wasn't pedantically screaming ‘off topic’, I was just trying to bring discussion back to my question.

raybies

I use a miniDSP as my PC soundcard, it has 10 x PEQ w/ import from REW.
4 profiles: 3 for different HPs and 1 w/ PEQ + xover + delay for amp + sub. I can get wide staging with the centre spot right bang in the middle of my 49" ultrawide w/ the speakers at different distances. You could theoretically have profiles for 8 x HPs as each profile is for 4 outputs.

I've tried a couple of SW APOs (Boom3D wasn't bad), much prefer the on device, always on, easier... as Win SW is never 100% system wide.

oneils

Hi there, anyone know of an equalizer app that would work with a music streaming service on ipad? Im trying to figure out if there is something that could used for any of the streaming services.

Thank you.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@Doodski Can we please add Waves Q10 plugin as a PEQ solution for MAC OS please. I am currently using it and it is fantastic.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Screen Shot 2021-08-07 at 12.19.01 PM.png

This is Q10 with Sennheiser HD560s EQ.

RHO

Major Contributor
Anyone else having trouble getting EQ APO/Peace working after the latest W10 update? Even a re-install didn't help.
I see the loudness bars moving with the music but switching on/off the EQ does nothing.
I tried to apply a pre-gain of -7db which should be an obvious difference in loudness, just to make sure... Nothing.

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
Anyone else having trouble getting EQ APO/Peace working after the latest W10 update? Even a re-install didn't help.
I see the loudness bars moving with the music but switching on/off the EQ does nothing.
I tried to apply a pre-gain of -7db which should be an obvious difference in loudness, just to make sure... Nothing.

Me.

Top Bottom