• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Eq setting

davidebond

Hi. I don't want an eq preset. I would a suggestion on create a more round and gorgeous sound. What Maurizio Pollini asks to his piano technician. I would say a "fat" sound. Not a filiform one. I hope to be clear. In any case, I don't want values for any setting of the eq (given that any value is subjective), but the direction that I should take.

I use foobar2000, his eq, math audio on Windows 11.

Thanks and best,

Davide

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
Once saw this chart putting words to frequency ranges. Might be useful.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Which headphones? If you knew the rough frequency response of the 'phones you could have a go at adjusting areas that have weaker areas in line with charts @Rednaxela refers to.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi. I don't want an eq preset. I would a suggestion on create a more round and gorgeous sound. What Maurizio Pollini asks to his piano technician. I would say a "fat" sound. Not a filiform one. I hope to be clear. In any case, I don't want values for any setting of the eq (given that any value is subjective), but the direction that I should take.
Enhance lower frequencies. Better get a Umik-1 and REW and check for nulls in the frequency response.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
@solderdude posted it several times.

descriptors2.png

I use it as a pre-amble in all my HP reviews.
Is OP perhaps bothered by the 'warmth hump' (between 80 and 300Hz) of his recently acquired HD650 ? I was...
fr-hd650.png

Last edited:
OP
davidebond

davidebond

Thanks. To @solderdude: what do you mean with your last sentence? What is "op" and what is the meaning of the last three dots. Yes. The impedence is of 300 $\Omega$. My impression is that the amp be too flat and thin, if I may use this last word.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Op is you... Original Poster

The 3 dots mean I am bothered by the small and wide midbass bump and filter it.

It is not the amps fault. That said when using an amplifier with a high output resistance (say some OTL tube amps or HT or stereo receivers or integrated amplifiers with a 6.3mm TRS jack output this hump becomes even worse making the sound 'fat' or 'woolly'.

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
and what is the meaning of the last three dots.
The three dots are an ellipsis. They are a standard part of punctuation, like a comma or semicolon. They mean something is being skipped by the writer because they assume the reader can work it out.

OP
davidebond

davidebond

To @MaxwellsEq: I know the rethorical meaning of the ellipsis. But I didn't undestand the context presupposed from the speaker. If you don't know the context presupposed from the speaker, you cannot understand the meaning of an ellipsis. For an example, if I don't know that $f(x)$ accepts as arguments only complex numbers $z_i$, I cannot also know what is the meaning of the function. One matter is $f(x)$ for $x\in \mathbb{R}$, and another if $x\in \mathbb{C}$. The latter is an "amplitwist" to use the words of Needham.

To @solderdude: ok. Once known the features of my hd 650, and of the amp, what can I do to solve the problem upon which you casted light? P.S. Usually, for a German native, OP stands for a medical OPeration... :)

Thanks,

davide

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You dont want to hear this - but you either need to start EQing purely by ear (start with the low end and a low shelf filter below 100 hz at varying dB) and a Q1.0 filter around 200 hz again by varying degrees but with minus dB) or by starting with a known EQ set of filters ( I would suggest Oratory https://www.dropbox.com/s/zr5tqw0qojom9uh/Sennheiser HD650.pdf?dl=0) and varying the levels of those filters to taste).

"a more round and gorgeous sound" is a far more subjective aim than smoothing out some known kinks in a headphone frequency response.

OP
davidebond

davidebond

To @MaxwellsEq: have you a problem with me? Ok. The ellipsis is not a rethorical device, but it was clear my mind. An ellipsis presupposes a context and that one can understand the missing sentence.

OP
davidebond

davidebond

To @Jimbob54: why I don't want hear this? Surely, I am not skillful as you. For example, I completely agree on the subjective character of gorgeous. Speaking in terms of frequences in more objective and clear, but for me it is a foreign language which I must master step by step.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Once known the features of my hd 650, and of the amp, what can I do to solve the problem upon which you casted light?

Parametric EQ or modifications to the headphone itself (on the rear side which requires taking it apart)
The Parametric EQ can be done in the digital realm. Not so easy on analog gear though.
The RME ADI-2 DAC/Amplifier for instance or the Qudelix 5k (needs a balanced cable for HD650 otherwise it cannot reach impressive levels) is an option.
That is if you are bothered by it and only listen to digital recordings.

The HD560S or HD600 (with fresh pads) is an option when EQ is not in the Sennheiser stable.

OP
davidebond

davidebond

To @Jimbob54: I visited the page of Oratory eq settings for my hd. Unfortunately, I am not able to deduce from the plot the values for the eq.

threni

Major Contributor
To @MaxwellsEq: have you a problem with me? Ok. The ellipsis is not a rethorical device, but it was clear my mind. An ellipsis presupposes a context and that one can understand the missing sentence.
How would his posts have differed, I wonder, if he didn't have a problem with you but simply wanted to correct mistakes and misunderstandings such that this thread helped you (and other people)?

Sokel

Master Contributor
The nice thick sound you want (if I get it right) is a nice declining line (give it -3--6 db slope according to taste) from bottom end to about 200Hz and a genteler one from then on (give it -2 slope to the upper end).It's important to have a robust mid bass)
Start from there with Math and you can adjust the rest easy.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
To @Jimbob54: I visited the page of Oratory eq settings for my hd. Unfortunately, I am not able to deduce from the plot the values for the eq.
Odd the link I provided seems broken- see these

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-12-20 11.21.58.png
    Screenshot 2022-12-20 11.21.58.png
    158 KB · Views: 59
Top Bottom