• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

EQ options for Raspberry Pi with Shairport?

OfficialChill

Hello

I have a rPi 4 and an Apple type C dongle and want to turn it into an Airport receiver. I have tried the popular dedicated rPi OS:
  • PCP with LMS: no simple way to get parametric EQ.
  • Moode: very buggy with Airplay, I would constantly get issues where no sound was being played
  • Volumio: CamillaDSP kept reverting its settings
I have seen the dedicated CamillaDSP tutorial. Using something like Ubuntu server seems like it would be the most stable, and give me most flexibility? Installing Shairport shouldnt be difficult, I just wonder what people would suggest for parametric EQ considering I'm only using an Apple dongle? I feel like CamillaDSP is overkill

What do people think? :)

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello! Well, I am glad you asked! :)

I do use CamillaDSP as my EQ solution across Windows and MacOS with a simplified EQ interface I put together myself called CamillaNode

I am not sure what you mean when you say CamillaDSP is an overkill. I would tend to think CamillaDSP is perfectly fine but maybe RPI4 might be an overkill knowing that you can achieve the same results with a much smaller SBC like Rock Pi S or Raspberry Pi Zero 2W.

I have used Ubuntu or Debian, both work perfectly fine headless.

Installing Shairport is as easy as typing sudo apt install shairport-sync on command line. My experience with is was very good - it works seemlessly with all iOS devices and it is quite stable.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you are using piCorePlayer with the embedded LMS you can implement parametric equalization using a custom-convert configuration file. It is loaded on the LMS tab within piCorePlayer. It's very easy and uses SOX to implement the equalization. I have one custom-convert for headphones using oratory1990's settings and one for speakers I created using REW.

Martin

OP
OfficialChill

OfficialChill

Hello! Well, I am glad you asked! :)

I do use CamillaDSP as my EQ solution across Windows and MacOS with a simplified EQ interface I put together myself called CamillaNode

I am not sure what you mean when you say CamillaDSP is an overkill. I would tend to think CamillaDSP is perfectly fine but maybe RPI4 might be an overkill knowing that you can achieve the same results with a much smaller SBC like Rock Pi S or Raspberry Pi Zero 2W.

I have used Ubuntu or Debian, both work perfectly fine headless.

Installing Shairport is as easy as typing sudo apt install shairport-sync on command line. My experience with is was very good - it works seemlessly with all iOS devices and it is quite stable.

Well I know that CamillaDSP has a LOT of functionality, and I'm literally just using it for parametric EQ. Also yes maybe the Pi 4 is overkill, but I picked it up seeing that Pi 3s were selling for even more on eBay and the Pi Zero was, until recently, completely unobtainable. The other thing with CamillaDSP is I need to work out what config file settings I will need for simple 44.1 or 48, 2 channel Apple dongle

If you are using piCorePlayer with the embedded LMS you can implement parametric equalization using a custom-convert configuration file. It is loaded on the LMS tab within piCorePlayer. It's very easy and uses SOX to implement the equalization. I have one custom-convert for headphones using oratory1990's settings and one for speakers I created using REW.

Martin

I did see the thread about SOX, I'm very illiterate with that sort of stuff... the other thing is I found LMS to be a bit buggy sometimes, sometimes it would reset the interface. I've decided leaving as much as I can to my phone is the simplest.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I did see the thread about SOX, I'm very illiterate with that sort of stuff... the other thing is I found LMS to be a bit buggy sometimes, sometimes it would reset the interface. I've decided leaving as much as I can to my phone is the simplest.

It is a little daunting and I'm a software engineer with a CS&E degree. Once figured out it's quite easy to implement. I've been running LMS within piCorePlayer on a 2GB Pi4 for several years. Mine is rock solid.

Martin

Top Bottom