• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

EQ in ROON guidance

OP
Womaz

Womaz

Ok so I have took my room dimensions and put it into the attached page…….not sure what to do next

Attachments

• A0FE4CCF-A42D-4393-81B0-98B1FCE27DAE.png
    A0FE4CCF-A42D-4393-81B0-98B1FCE27DAE.png
    912.3 KB · Views: 64

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
If you run the cursor over those first three tallest bars they will almost certainly be the room’s fundamental modes 0-0-1 0-1-0 1-0-0 length, width and height.
Use the frequency generator feature and dial in the frequency of the first peak, then play that frequency ( not too loudly and not for too long) through the system, then walk from the front to the rear of the room ( length mode) you should hear more bass at the font and rear walls almost nothing in the middle of the room.
That region of the low bass up to say 200-300 Hz is where the major problems lie ie ‘boomy’ bass.
Keith

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
Another thing you could do is play this video over your system. Maybe a couple of times.

Some parts of the video will sound noticeably louder than others. See if you can find the displayed numbers (frequencies) of the louder parts back as a bar in your calculation result.

OP
Womaz

Womaz

Thanks for the replies guys . I will try and explore this later in the week when I have more time .
Keith I think that will be way above my technical capabilities , but I do promise to try this. Thanks for your input to,this thread , much appreciated .
I will also try the you tube video

OP
Womaz

Womaz

A0DC68AB-5B3B-42AD-9C9E-31C4B4A0F620.png

So far this is helping a lot
I am learning a lot although the learning curve is quite steep

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
That’s great.

So the rightmost correction is @Eetu’s suggestion right?

Not sure about the leftmost one TBH. Its frequency seems a bit high to really combat boominess on its own. Could you share the settings of that one too?

OP
Womaz

Womaz

That’s great.

So the rightmost correction is @Eetu’s suggestion right?

Not sure about the leftmost one TBH. Its frequency seems a bit high to really combat boominess on its own. Could you share the settings of that one too?
Yes it looks like it was his suggestion , I tried that many I sort of lost track .

Attachments

• CD5DA37E-D887-4769-B56A-79DA92D3E5E0.png
    CD5DA37E-D887-4769-B56A-79DA92D3E5E0.png
    644.1 KB · Views: 35

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
Yes it looks like it was his suggestion
If you feel it works I’d keep that one for the time being.

To give you an idea about the other correction, here you see a measurement, a target response, a list of corrections, and a post-correction prediction. See if you can identify all four.

While it’s true that there is a peak in neighborhood of 200Hz (make sure you spot it), you also see three other peaks to the left of it that need addressing, most notably the one around 90Hz.

Looking at for instance your chart my bet is that you have a couple of similar <200Hz peaks too. I’d try and focus on those. Especially when the 200Hz correction was not based on data.

Hope this makes sense. Please don’t feel intimidated. Most happy to help you get to grips with this.

OP
Womaz

Womaz

If you feel it works I’d keep that one for the time being.

To give you an idea about the other correction, here you see a measurement, a target response, a list of corrections, and a post-correction prediction. See if you can identify all four.

While it’s true that there is a peak in neighborhood of 200Hz (make sure you spot it), you also see three other peaks to the left of it that need addressing, most notably the one around 90Hz.

Looking at for instance your chart my bet is that you have a couple of similar <200Hz peaks too. I’d try and focus on those. Especially when the 200Hz correction was not based on data.

Hope this makes sense. Please don’t feel intimidated. Most happy to help you get to grips with this.
Sorry that has gone a bit over my head I am afraid.
I have clicked on your link .....but how is this relevant to what I am trying to do? Is this not for your own set up? A tad confused.

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
It’s just to illustrate this point:

Its frequency seems a bit high to really combat boominess on its own.

The screenshot in the linked post is about my own set in my own room, correct. However there are several reasons to believe you too have a number of peaks below 200Hz. One reason being the bars in the chart you posted yourself.

and the bass can be a bit boomy, like overpowers at times .
What you need to do is find these other peaks. The ones at frequencies lower than 200Hz. Then dial those down as well. This will truly fix your boomy bass.

Is this something you would be willing to give a shot? Ignoring for a moment whether you know how to do this exactly?

OP
Womaz

Womaz

It’s just to illustrate this point:

The screenshot in the linked post is about my own set in my own room, correct. However there are several reasons to believe you too have a number of peaks below 200Hz. One reason being the bars in the chart you posted yourself.

What you need to do is find these other peaks. The ones at frequencies lower than 200Hz. Then dial those down as well. This will truly fix your boomy bass.

Is this something you would be willing to give a shot? Ignoring for a moment whether you know how to do this exactly?
You have hit the nail on the head …I have no idea how to do this . I see what you are getting at now though .
I guess my attempt to get the sound right is rather crude . However it has improved things .

So forgive me if this makes no sense ……I could try and play about with a few bands just below the 200Hz area?

Just to add it does sound a LOT better than it did

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
I could try and play about with a few bands just below the 200Hz area?
You could do that, but before you do, if possible, do this.

Even if you would find only one obviously peaking frequency that way, you’d already be in a much better place than you are now. Without further data it just seems unlikely that in your case the one major peak to start with is the 200Hz one you are currently addressing. Not impossible but very unlikely.

Hope this helps.

OP
Womaz

Womaz

You could do that, but before you do, if possible, do this.

Even if you would find only one obviously peaking frequency that way, you’d already be in a much better place than you are now. Without further data it just seems unlikely that in your case the one major peak to start with is the 200Hz one you are currently addressing. Not impossible but very unlikely.

Hope this helps.
Sorry again not sure what I can do with the above video. I am willing to try but not sure how to find it.
Do you mean at certain points in that video it will get louder?? Note the points where it does?

Thanks for all of your input by the way, its much appreciated

OP
Womaz

Womaz

Just to add, done some listening tonight and I feel the adjustment to the bass is pretty effective
If anything it’s the other band that still leave a bit to be desired . The brightness is much better but still a touch of sibilance on some female vocals ……but like I say it’s a big improvement from my starting point

Also think I am noticing the deficiencies in my speaker system as I use my headphone system a lot more these days . It’s so easy to get this right as the room does not come into play

Last edited:

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
Do you mean at certain points in that video it will get louder?? Note the points where it does?
Yes and yes.

Don’t forget to turn off your EQ. Watch the video over your speakers in your room and first just listen. See if you can hear loudness fluctuations at all.

When you do, give it another listen and note the displayed frequencies that seem loudest to you. Maybe one part specifically stands out. In my case that would be around 90Hz for instance. In yours it may be different, perhaps it’s 80Hz, maybe 110Hz or anything in between, or something lower or something higher. Maybe you’ll find two particularly loud peaks, we don’t know.

When you’ve found one or a couple, take your chart and see if you can identify the frequencies you found as bars in the plot. This part is optional but could give some confirmation that you’re on the right track. If instead it rather confuses, don’t worry too much about it. What you heard and noted is more important than what you simulated at this point.

Please report back.

still a touch of sibilance on some female vocals
I hope others can chime in and help you with this part.

OP
Womaz

Womaz

C

Yes and yes.

Don’t forget to turn off your EQ. Watch the video over your speakers in your room and first just listen. See if you can hear loudness fluctuations at all.

When you do, give it another listen and note the displayed frequencies that seem loudest to you. Maybe one part specifically stands out. In my case that would be around 90Hz for instance. In yours it may be different, perhaps it’s 80Hz, maybe 110Hz or anything in between, or something lower or something higher. Maybe you’ll find two particularly loud peaks, we don’t know.

When you’ve found one or a couple, take your chart and see if you can identify the frequencies you found as bars in the plot. This part is optional but could give some confirmation that you’re on the right track. If instead it rather confuses, don’t worry too much about it. What you heard and noted is more important than what you simulated at this point.

Please report back.

I hope others can chime in and help you with this part.
Thanks again, I will try and do this sometime this week hopefully. I dont understand the bit I have highlighted............what bars in the plot?

Last edited:

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
what bars in the plot?
There is a bar chart of sorts in the attachment to this post. It's the bars in that chart that I'm referring to.

Every bar denotes a room mode frequency. They were calculated from the dimensions you entered above the chart. Depending on your listening position some of these frequencies sound noticably louder than normal, leading to peaks in your response, and eventually the impression of bass boominess.

So that's why I'm hoping you will play the video, notice the fluctuations, and try and identify the frequencies at which the peaks occur. Then optionally you could see if your observations correspond to what you simulated with your bar chart. But don't worry if you struggle with this optional bit. What you observe in the video is more important at this point.

Good luck and please report back!

OP
Womaz

Womaz

There is a bar chart of sorts in the attachment to this post. It's the bars in that chart that I'm referring to.

Every bar denotes a room mode frequency. They were calculated from the dimensions you entered above the chart. Depending on your listening position some of these frequencies sound noticably louder than normal, leading to peaks in your response, and eventually the impression of bass boominess.

So that's why I'm hoping you will play the video, notice the fluctuations, and try and identify the frequencies at which the peaks occur. Then optionally you could see if your observations correspond to what you simulated with your bar chart. But don't worry if you struggle with this optional bit. What you observe in the video is more important at this point.

I will be looking to do this when I have enough time to do it properly .
Once again thanks for all of the input

OP
Womaz

Womaz

So i have tried this tonight and these are the points where it got really loud

35hz
95hz
130 to 148hz
170 to 175Hz

it does show a similarity to the chart although like I say I am an absolute novice at this

OP
Womaz

Womaz

Again after a couple of hours listening again tonight the boomy bass is much improved
The biggest issue to me is still the brightness in parts and the sibilance on vocals

Top Bottom