• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

EQ in ROON guidance

euge_lee

Using REW to produce convolution filters for Roon is very convoluted.
Indeed it is, although the latest tutorial on youtube using "inversion" actually is quite easy to follow... but as mentioned, for two channel I prefer to have HomeAudioFidelity create them for me using their special techniques.

OP
Womaz

Womaz

Thanks guys for all the posts they are really appreciated
I may look into using a mic and other ways to get the room correction correct , but this will be further down the line
I have googled room perfect , but is it only available with certain products ? I am not really looking to replace any of my gear

The purpose of my post was to give a quick fix using ROON EQ. I am still experimenting , although I do feel that I can fix certain things , but it’ seems like it can be at the detriment of something else .
I will keep experimenting

OP
Womaz

Womaz

2CA0CCC9-AC2D-4EFB-B925-7A2D7E58776C.png

This is what I am using at present ……but yes still experimenting .
it’s hard to get right and it’s a lot of adjusting etc

AudioJester

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
In the old days before measuring became a thing, we tuned with graphic equalisers, bass/treble tone controls etc.
Can be done with trial and error to suit your own tastes.
What speakers?

OP
Womaz

Womaz

In the old days before measuring became a thing, we tuned with graphic equalisers, bass/treble tone controls etc.
Can be done with trial and error to suit your own tastes.
What speakers?
Sonus Faber Olympica 2. They may even be too big for my room as I have recently moved. They were a big purchase for me so I have no plans to replace tham.
The EQ is helping though

AudioJester

Forum Donor
Ah, you need to bring down the treble.
What is your current strategy:, you seem to have 2 random dips?

OP
Womaz

Womaz

Ah, you need to bring down the treble.
What is your current strategy:, you seem to have 2 random dips?
I am trying to lose a bit of brightness , some sibilance in some female vocals and the bass can be a bit boomy, like overpowers at times .
I think I am on the right track but just needs a bit of tweaking

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Whereabouts are you I would be happy to pop over and measure for you.
Keith

Eetu

Forum Donor
IMG_20221008_120821.jpg

Are these your speakers? This seems to be from Australian Hi-Fi magazine. The speakers seem to have roughly 2.5dB excess energy from 4500Hz upwards on-axis. There seems to be peaks around ~1200Hz and ~2200Hz, the 1.2k showing up in the averaged measurement as well but the latter isn't so I would probably ignore it. Assuming this is the same model you have, try experimenting with these corrections.

You would need to address the bass frequencies separately as they are room dependent.

OP
Womaz

Womaz

View attachment 235970
Are these your speakers? This seems to be from Australian Hi-Fi magazine. The speakers seem to have roughly 2.5dB excess energy from 4500Hz upwards on-axis. There seems to be peaks around ~1200Hz and ~2200Hz, the 1.2k showing up in the averaged measurement as well but the latter isn't so I would probably ignore it. Assuming this is the same model you have, try experimenting with these corrections.

You would need to address the bass frequencies separately as they are room dependent.
My speakers are the original Olympica 2 . I think the Nova model replaced them.
I also confess to not understanding graphs and measurements

OP
Womaz

Womaz

Whereabouts are you I would be happy to pop over and measure for you.
Keith
I could not be further away Keith , up in Newcastle
Also measureKent’s would be a waste of time at present as i will be getting new furnishings, paintings decor etc over the coming months. Thanks for the offer though

OP
Womaz

Womaz

But are you willing to learn?
Good question , I think I would like to but not sure I have the time at present .
I have bookmarked a few pages in this forum to look at when I have a bit more time

a quick fix for the short term , but longer term yes I would like to understand all of the science a bit more .

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I could not be further away Keith , up in Newcastle
Also measureKent’s would be a waste of time at present as i will be getting new furnishings, paintings decor etc over the coming months. Thanks for the offer though
That is a way, furnishings won’t make that huge a difference, it’s the dimensions of the room, how much bass is returned.
You could try the online room mode calculator that works best with perfectly rectangular room though.
Keith

OP
Womaz

Womaz

That is a way, furnishings won’t make that huge a difference, it’s the dimensions of the room, how much bass is returned.
You could try the online room mode calculator that works best with perfectly rectangular room though.
Keith
Thanks Keith, yes I will look at a few op the suggestions on here.
I am defin making improvements with the ROON EQ too so will experiment further.
i Know you say furnishing won’t make a difference , but when I added some thick curtains to the room it shielded the large glass patio doors and the improvement was very significant .
Some great posts on here and I will have a re read as there are so many good points made

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Glass often gets a bad rep but it is just another surface it will reflect/allow bass through single/double glazed it is usually problems in the bass which are most obvious and damaging.
What does the amroc calculator say, it has a signal generator so you can ‘test’ whether it’s predicted standing waves are accurate in your room.
Keith

OP
Womaz

Womaz

Glass often gets a bad rep but it is just another surface it will reflect/allow bass through single/double glazed it is usually problems in the bass which are most obvious and damaging.
What does the amroc calculator say, it has a signal generator so you can ‘test’ whether it’s predicted standing waves are accurate in your room.
Keith
I have not looked at this yet. I have some free time next week when I intend to look at a few of the suggestions in this thread

I will definitely investigate this further though as my main rig is lacking right now and I know it’s the room as it was tremendous in my last home . I now use my headphone set up for my serious music listening

Eetu

Forum Donor
I also found these measurements from Audio.com.pl
22341-max_sonus_faber_olympica_lab.jpg

Not sure I trust the measurement accuracy below 1kHz but seems you were onto something cutting around 3000Hz. Try a -3dB peak filter centered at 3300Hz, with a Q of ~4

Beyond that there's little you can do with any sort of accuracy except investing into a UMIK-1 mic :)

Balle Clorin

Major Contributor
No point in having REW or Umik if the poster is not willing to try to understand a loudness vs frequency plot

OP
Womaz

Womaz

No point in having REW or Umik if the poster is not willing to try to understand a loudness vs frequency plot
In time I may look to further my knowledge in these areas ……but yes for now I am looking for a quick fix
The ROON EQ may give me that

Top Bottom