• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

EQ Help Please

Witterings

My speakers are a little bright mainly noticeable in the vocals on poor / elevated recordings and are bass light, I wanted to take that "edge" off the top and add a bit of bass but just relatively small adjustments on both, I'm not looking for thumping bass but just to bring out a bit more where the speakers are lacking.

If anybody can help me with which Hz they'd adjust and by approximately how much it'd be appreciated, I have been playing with it to a degree but don't quite seem to be getting it quite right and wonder if I'm maybe adjusting the wrong frequencies, I did see some comments about adjusting the lower too much starts making the overall sound muddy which I seem to be doing.

In case they vary I've attached a copy of a pic of the EQ on the WiiM, any help much appreciated.

Attachments

• EQ.png
    EQ.png
    957.5 KB · Views: 60

Everett T

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
My speakers are a little bright mainly noticeable in the vocals on poor / elevated recordings and are bass light, I wanted to take that "edge" off the top and add a bit of bass but just relatively small adjustments on both, I'm not looking for thumping bass but just to bring out a bit more where the speakers are lacking.

If anybody can help me with which Hz they'd adjust and by approximately how much it'd be appreciated, I have been playing with it to a degree but don't quite seem to be getting it quite right and wonder if I'm maybe adjusting the wrong frequencies, I did see some comments about adjusting the lower too much starts making the overall sound muddy which I seem to be doing.

In case they vary I've attached a copy of a pic of the EQ on the WiiM, any help much appreciated.
The vocal range is wide, so for both male and female it can tough to just pick one band. What speakers are they?

3605476_orig.gif

Everett T

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
They're Focal Aria 926's
Those are pretty tame speakers till out past 15khz, wondering if you're room is the culprit. Without measurements it's hard to say which frequencies are getting excited, so EQing by ear or playing with the speaker placement, toe in/out, is where I'd start to see if you can address it.

Laotze

In addition to David's awesome post, you can play around in adjusting the tilt of your speakers by adding a few db of tilt in the frequency response. This thread discusses it:

coonmanx

One of the things you don't want to do is overboost. What that means is when you hit the EQ button (engage the EQ curve), the level should pretty much be the same as when the EQ is disengaged. The tone will be different but the overall volume should stay the same. So often you can use cuts on some frequencies and boost on a few to get your curve. I like to adjust individual sliders by dropping them all the way to the bottom for maximum cut and then bring them up until it sounds right. Go through them one at a time. Often times a certain frequency can just be left at the center position.

OP
W

Witterings

Brilliant ... thank you to everyine for their input .... the graphs / charts are extremely usful as well, often a visual can paint a 1000 words.

Weekend ahead so I can spend some time seeing what works best, I wish you could save 3 or 4 custom EQ's rather than just the one as then you could tweak something you like and save it and just switch between the 2 without fear of losing the original one.

Top Bottom