• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

EQ headphones, why?

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Pink noise on the other hand was found to be the best test signal in Harman's blind tests.
Correct, with some experience it is the best test to check the tonal balance and if there are some peaks in it, an experienced audio engineer once said all loudspeaker listening tests should start with it, it would save a lot of time.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Correct, with some experience it is the best test to check the tonal balance and if there are some peaks in it, an experienced audio engineer once said all loudspeaker listening tests should start with it, it would save a lot of time.
Just out of interest, how does the untrained user know what pink noise is meant to sound like ? Especially If the only transducers they have are a pair of headphones with wonky FR.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Just out of interest, how does the untrained user know what pink noise is meant to sound like ? Especially If the only transducers they have are a pair of headphones with wonky FR.
They won't, that is why I wrote some past experience is needed.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Because there is scientific backing for smooth-spectrum wide-bandwidth signals resulting in more discriminating and reliable sound judgements in the form of Harman's blind listening tests (which minimize cognitive biases):
I'm sorry, but the paper linked here has to do with perception of sound quality of music, apparently nothing to do with ability to discern specifics about a headphone's FR. Wider bandwidth music sounding better is orthogonal to the effectiveness of tones vs. PN for EQ.

The second graph seems to show success rate at differentiating DUT but I am not sure. That makes a lot of sense if you only get one choice of program material with no control over the frequency/signal, I would likewise obviously choose PN for that task. However, note that a 20-20khz sweep is not included in the list of program material, though. I submit that it would actually be easier (for me) to tell two headphones (or honestly even speakers) apart by listening to a sweep than PN.
This is highly variable, not all have smooth wide spectra.
:shrug: ?

I mean, I do what Oratory said someone could do - slide the frequency up and down within a relatively narrow range to find peaks and dips. Aside from possible flaws in my hearing I don't see what's problematic about this, except this (so far in this thread) poorly substantiated idea that people can't hear level differences in quickly varying tones that they can hear in broadband noise.

GaryH

Major Contributor
the paper linked here has to do with perception of sound quality of music headphones, apparently nothing everything to do with ability to discern specifics about a headphone's FR
It builds on and corroborates the findings of this paper. I suggest reading this blog post by the author of those papers, Dr Sean Olive.
The second graph seems to show success rate at differentiating DUT but I am not sure.
Now you're getting it.
I submit that it would actually be easier (for me) to tell two headphones (or honestly even speakers) apart by listening to a sweep than PN.
You've provided zero evidence of this. Whether you could tell them apart with sine sweeps would be irrelevant anyway if you couldn't tell them apart with actual music (which pink noise is spectrally analogous to).
:shrug: ?
Which means it's not a good test signal for discriminating and reliable judgements of transducer sound quality, as the scientific research by Sean Olive et al above found.
I mean, I do what Oratory said someone could do - slide the frequency up and down within a relatively narrow range to find peaks and dips.
That's not what he said.
Aside from possible flaws in my hearing I don't see what's problematic about this
It's not 'flaws' in your hearing, it's differences in everyone's hearing (individual ears' 'frequency response') and differences in perception of a transducer's frequency response when listening to sine sweeps vs broadband sound (music or pink noise).
poorly substantiated idea that people can't hear level differences in quickly varying tones that they can hear in broadband noise
That's not what's being said. False positives (rather than false negatives) are the main problem when using sine tones:

Last edited:

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You've provided zero evidence of this.
How do you propose I provide evidence of myself thinking something would be easier ... for myself? "Easier" is subjective no matter how much evidence I submit.
Which means it's not a good test signal for discriminating and reliable judgements of transducer sound quality, as the scientific research by Sean Olive et al above found.
That's not what the article you linked actually says. It says pink noise and alt rock are better than less harmonically rich music. That's all. Tones aren't mentioned there.

False positives are the main problem:
I get what he's saying and he's completely right to say it depending on context.

However, I STILL don't see that sweeps are irrelevant or contraindicated for developing your own EQ curve at the initial / cursory stage if measuring the headphone isn't an option. It's much, much easier to hear certain features of a frequency response curve with tones than it is with PN for me. The ultimate tonality also varies depending on THD and other factors and can't be nailed down with sweeps, but I still don't get why we should avoid sweeps as if they were somehow harmful to one's ability to evaluate the headphone. They're a welcome tool in the box precisely BECAUSE they're completely different than normal program material, IMO.

Example: It's super effing hard to pick out frequency ranges that produce a lot of THD without a measurment rig if you don't listen to tones. I don't even know how I would attempt it.

If you don't know what you're listening to, by all means, avoid them, but if you know what you're doing I'm just not convinced that there's some hidden trap waiting for those that dare to listen to tones.

Last edited:

GaryH

Major Contributor
How do you propose I provide evidence of myself thinking something would be easier ... for myself? "Easier" is subjective no matter how much evidence I submit.
Subjective discrimination claims can be tested via blind ABX tests. (Btw looks like I edited my post for clarity before you posted this reply, have a read of it again, your claim is moot anyway.)
That's not what the article you linked actually says. It says pink noise and alt rock are better than less harmonically rich music. That's all. Tones aren't mentioned there.
That was in reply to your indifferent shrug to my comment that your friend using alt rock music to tune does not necessarily mean it has the smooth broadband spectrum the science says produces the most discriminating and reliable sound quality judgements.
I get what he's saying and he's completely right to say it depending on context.
It doesn't look like you do from the below.
However, I STILL don't see that sweeps are irrelevant or contraindicated for developing your own EQ curve at the initial / cursory stage if measuring the headphone isn't an option. It's much, much easier to hear certain features of a frequency response curve with tones than it is with PN for me. The ultimate tonality also varies depending on THD and other factors and can't be nailed down with sweeps, but I still don't get why we should avoid sweeps as if they were somehow harmful to one's ability to evaluate the headphone. They're a welcome tool in the box precisely BECAUSE they're completely different than normal program material, IMO.
If they're completely different to the normal program material (music) that, you know, people actually listen to using the headphones, then they're irrelevant.
Example: It's super effing hard to pick out frequency ranges that produce a lot of THD without a measurment rig if you don't listen to tones. I don't even know how I would attempt it.
We're talking about linear, not nonlinear distortions here (the former contributing the vast majority to perceived sound quality).
If you don't know what you're listening to, by all means, avoid them, but if you know what you're doing I'm just not convinced that there's some hidden trap waiting for those that dare to listen to tones.
I've already told you several times (backed by comments from Sean Olive and Oratory) the trap that you're falling into: false positives, which I clearly explained with a concrete example in this post, which you pretty much ignored. You're just not listening.

Last edited:

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You're just not listening.
No, I totally grasp your arguments, but they're at least half based on arguments that Olive hasn't actually made, (at least not in the sources you've linked) and you're misunderstanding my use case, I think. I'm not actually sure what we disagree about.

I like using tones to test headphones as one means of identifying issues. You think I shouldn't do that, but I never argued against any other method or their relative merits, nor did I discount the potential downsides of using tones. So again, not sure what the argument is about here.

Anyway, whatever. Do whatever you want, I'll do the same.

JanesJr1

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You just have to play around (experiment). Graphic EQ is easier to play-around with than parametric EQ. You have be a little careful boosting because you can drive the amplifier or headphone into distortion. It's usually better to cut the other frequencies, or don't go too crazy with the boost. With digital EQ it's also possible to clip (distort) the digital data and some digital EQs have a "preamp" control that's normally used to attenuate the overall level than to amplify/boost so you're not digitally clipping.

Headphones reviewed here have a frequency response measurement and a recommended correction to the Harman curve. That could be a good place to start before any personal-preference adjustments.
As someone who learned to EQ over the last year or two, my biggest takeaway isn't the SQ improvement: rather, it's the education and ear-training that comes from learning to do it well, as someone not trained in electronics or audio engineering. I also liked a lot of music but had no musical training.

It's easy enough to launch into EQ with the Harman tuning as suggested here. But the process of going beyond that taught me how to listen, and led me into all sorts of research into music, musical instruments, recording, sound mixing and audio playback technology. It might have seemed a tech-y chore on day one, but then it became fun, and then it became obligatory. What a gas!

When I listen to new music now, I hear so much more than I did before. Don't give yourself permission to EQ; deny yourself permission NOT to do it.

(The SQ improvement is important, too, of course. I have now listened to a variety of IEM's, headphones and speakers. I have heard not one piece of equipment that couldn't be improved, either a little or a lot. For free. I agree that EQ is usually the most cost-effective way to improve your system, and may be more important than many expensive but only-marginally-effective hardware features.)

Last edited:

GaryH

Major Contributor
No, I totally grasp your arguments, but they're at least half based on arguments that Olive hasn't actually made
He literally calls listening to sine sweeps a bogus test.

I like using tones to test headphones as one means of identifying issues. You think I shouldn't do that, but I never argued against any other method or their relative merits, nor did I discount the potential downsides of using tones. So again, not sure what the argument is about here.

Anyway, whatever. Do whatever you want, I'll do the same.
Well at least you're now only talking about yourself and no longer prescribing others to follow your misguided methods:
Don't listen to music to verify changes of EQ, check with tones

And I hope you now see why the below is categorically the wrong thing to do:
My rule of thumb is that the headphones should sound subjectively flat as you sweep the tone. (everything is about the same loudness as you go up and down.)

Last edited:

markanini

Major Contributor
Many people use that EQ strategy, it doesn't mean it's works for music. You could for instance identify two treble peaks at 4kHz and 7kHz. But with musical content it's perceived differently, your auditory system fills in the gaps. If you went on with your method, letting it dictate EQ moves you might have EQ'd away good detail for arbitrary reasons because the sine sweep gave you a false sense of certainty.

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you think it's right or wrong to use the equalizer with headphones?
Are you asking:
- Is EQuing as transparent to SQ as everybody assumes?
- OR , you paid your money, you chose the headphones for its sound signature, so why mess with it?
- Or something I haven't thought of?

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Beware EQing to make one track sound great. Often, you're just remixing/remastering that track, and other tracks won't sound as good, or just bad. That's part of the reason EQ got a bad name; it's easy to make things worse than no EQ.
So true!
That's why some players such as Neutron and jRiver, can remember your saved EQ for individual tracks or albums, so next time you want to listen to the same thing, your previous saved EQ gets activated.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So true!
That's why some players such as Neutron and jRiver, can remember your saved EQ for individual tracks or albums, so next time you want to listen to the same thing, your previous saved EQ gets activated.
That is a nice feature. I find that if I actually get the response reasonably flat, everything sounds good. Some tracks obviously better than others.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
you might have EQ'd away good detail for arbitrary reasons
Well, not if you know what peaks are supposed to be there and which aren't. Which, according to everyone arguing about this, including myself, knowing this is part of SOP for headphone tuning.

Others may feel differently but I think it's MUCH easier to find unwanted deviations in FR with tones than PN. PN is good for low-Q stuff but will obscure all but the most severe high-Q stuff, again, at least this is my personal experience and opinion. Maybe I'm a moron and missed something entirely, but why would you WANT to avoid correcting high-Q flaws in the frequency response, except for some concern about phase distortion or pre-ringing or something?

Suppose I hear a +14dB spike at 10khz... I am supposed to leave this alone because Dr. Sean Olive has once pointed out that the ideal headphone FR isn't just an equal loudness contour inversion? I'm not allowed to touch it unless I found it using pink noise? Like what is the real contention here?

It's quite clear that what I use tones for isn't clearly understood here... but there's your example if you weren't sure.

markanini

Major Contributor
Well, not if you know what peaks are supposed to be there and which aren't. Which, according to everyone arguing about this, including myself, knowing this is part of SOP for headphone tuning.

Others may feel differently but I think it's MUCH easier to find unwanted deviations in FR with tones than PN. PN is good for low-Q stuff but will obscure all but the most severe high-Q stuff, again, at least this is my personal experience and opinion. Maybe I'm a moron and missed something entirely, but why would you WANT to avoid correcting high-Q flaws in the frequency response, except for some concern about phase distortion or pre-ringing or something?

Suppose I hear a +14dB spike at 10khz... I am supposed to leave this alone because Dr. Sean Olive has once pointed out that the ideal headphone FR isn't just an equal loudness contour inversion? I'm not allowed to touch it unless I found it using pink noise? Like what is the real contention here?

It's quite clear that what I use tones for isn't clearly understood here... but there's your example if you weren't sure.
It's so clear that you made a example unrelated to my example, and a referenced a counter argument which is different from mine. All that we can agree on is that many people feel it's right do it. That's not very well enough to say optimizing sine sweeps is valid for music. You talk about correcting high Q "flaws" on the basis of knowledge, why stop there? Why no take into account the realities about your auditory system handling musical content and test signals differently?

GaryH

Major Contributor
Well, not if you know what peaks are supposed to be there and which aren't.
Except you don't, because you don't know the exact shape of your equal loudness contours.
Because as I've told you multiple times, you don't know if you're 'correcting' the headphone's frequency response or your ear's. And pink noise being a signal more revealing of low-Q than high-Q deviations is exactly what you want, because this reflects the ear's greater sensitivity to low-Q than high-Q deviations, as found in the scientific research of Dr Floyd Toole. Then as you say there's ringing which can be audible with high-Q positive-gain EQ filters, with suggestive evidence from Jaakko Pasanen (of AuotoEQ fame) pointing towards filters with slopes above 12 or maybe 18 dB/octave decreasing sound quality preference in blind tests.
You're still not getting it. You'd have no idea how much of that 10 kHz spike is down to the headphone and how much is down to your ear. And whether and how much it shifts in amplitude and frequency with slightly different headphone placement (which can be a big effect, especially at high frequencies like 10 kHz). And if you're tuning the headphone for others, whether the spike is due to the interaction between that specific headphone and your specific ear, which could be completely different for others.

Last edited:

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why no take into account the realities about your auditory system handling musical content and test signals differently?
I mean, I do, everyone who tests with music does, it's just a lot faster and easier to do certain EQ tasks with tones than music.
You'd have no idea how much of that 10 kHz spike is down to the headphone and how much is down to your ear.
I think "no idea" is overstating it somewhat. You're right in principle, in practice I think such a big deviation in your personal loudness contour would be easy to discover by comparing notes with another listener.
whether and how much it shifts in amplitude and frequency with slightly different headphone placement
Indeed, that's a massive factor and one I try to check for pretty constantly while I'm evaluating a set of cans. However, my personal subjective perception is that swings in high frequency content depending on placement are less severe on ears than they are on a measurement jig. This makes sense since our ears are evolved to do something useful above 10khz and the internal structures of the ear are pretty different than those of a test jig.
if you're tuning the headphone for others, whether the spike is due to the interaction between that specific headphone and your specific ear, which could be completely different for others.
Agree, I wouldn't try to flatten anything in the upper treble by ear if it was "for work". And again to be clear, I relied on music more than tones for EQ at work, too. And the opinions of other people... and pink noise, even.

Even at home it's just a guess that sounds good at the time. But at home I'm philosophically aligned with "if it sounds good, it is good", because (as you've noted) of big variations in hearing / HRTF, a true, exacting standard (like the harman curve) is more of a suggestion than a final target.

Top Bottom