• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

EQ, Headphones, Tube Amps, Solid State Amps...

• Thread starter Deleted member 26288
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 26288

Hello all, it's been a long time since I posted anything. I believe it was back when I first got my RME ADI 2 DAC FS, and I have been using it ever since. I have been curious about a few things, so I have started to experiment with EQ and amps. I guess what I am looking for, is if anyone can converse with me about some things.

1: Headamp GS-X Mini - I have access to this amp, and have had it here for a while, A/B Blind testing. What I have found, is that I can hear SOME differences in CERTAIN tracks. These differences are small, and as such I wouldn't really give them a second thought. However, I am wondering if the differences that I think I hear (I am not above questioning myself) are due to SINAD, harmonic distortion, or something else. For instance if it is harmonics, then is it something that I can measure, then compare to another similar device, to either confirm or rebuke any preconceived bias, whatever that may be, e.g. "sounds better" etc.

2: Feliks Audio Echo MKII OTL amp - This one is very interesting to me. Whether this is placebo or not, I don't know. When I listen to certain tracks on this amp, I have noticed (whether real or not, I am unsure) that the perceived distance in sounds, has expanded. Let me try to give an example, I hear a triangle on the RME, on the HD800S, and it sounds like it is a few inches to the front/left of my left eye, and with the Feliks, it "feels" like it is arms length away, and more like 60deg from the left side of my head. Now, assuming that this is not a placebo effect, which it very well might be, would there be a way to measure something like this affect, to see if it can be replicated via dsp?

3: EQ - I have been trying to use eq, using Oratory1990 settings from reddit as a baseline. One thing is for sure, I do not enjoy the overly boosted bass. Which is fine, this is supposed to be a "preference" frequency. That being said, I have noticed that some recommended settings, indicate that most of the upper frequency adjustments are also "preference" frequencies. Am I safe to assume, that if I remove the "preference" frequencies from the equation, what I am left with is the 120hz-3khz target, which would be the averaged target that harmon has determined would sound "good" to the majority of listeners, and thus I can use this narrowed target to help develop a curve specifically for my ears?

The reason I ask this, is because I do not seem to hear what the majority of others claim on certain headphones. My ears are huge, and stick out a ways from my head, as a reference point, on the HD800S, the bottom of my ear lobes will touch the bottom of the inner pads, while the top of my ear sits less than an 1/8th (roughly) from the top of the inner pad, and the outside of my ears touch the fabric that covers the drivers. Could the shape/size of my ears being messing with the frequency response that eventually ends up at my ear drums? Not that it sounds bad, quite the opposite actually. As an example, I find Sundara's to be "brighter" than my HD800S, as are the HD560s, which, according to the "community" should not be the case.

One thing I can definitely state, is using 3 headphones, eq'd similarly, HD600, LCD2-C, and HD800S, I still prefer to use multiple HP's, with eq, to enjoy my music collection. I have been given a lot of flack on various other platforms because of this, where in people will tell me that "if all HP's are eq'd the same, they will sound the same", and I happen to disagree. Fitment, materials, drivers, and driver materials being the most obvious things that come to my mind, and my experience in car audio, where changing out speakers, and eq'ing them to the same target that was set for that vehicle, still sounded like new speakers were installed. Am I just trying to confirm a bias here, or is there some truth to it? If I am wrong I will accept that, but I find it difficult to find reputable literature, that can explain this. (I am sure I am not searching properly).

Any opinions on the above? Constructive vs combative would be greatly appreciated.

Top Bottom