• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

EQ for Dummies a AKG K514 MKII Headphone EQ (using Mathaudio Headphone EQ)

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes i know it is not the most desired headphone but i like to correct this budget headphone an see what is can do after a frequency correction.

I really don't get it with Mathaudio headphone EQ if i hear the sweep tone i got the impression everything sound fine. Problem is I don't have a reference what sounds good or wrong. However I found a frequency curve of the AKG K514 headphone an the corresponding Parametric filters settings on https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/tree/master/results/referenceaudioanalyzer/referenceaudioanalyzer_hdm1_harman_over-ear_2018/AKG K514

Looking to most frequency responses of several AKG headphones in more or less the same price class they are quite similar. So i guess the AKG K514 would be quite similar as the AKG K514 MKII.

When having the filters in it does sound quite lousy i had to modify them quite a lot. Basicly i draw them new based on the found frequency curve. So the parametric EQ's was useless.

parametric AKG M514.jpg

freqakg.jpg

akg 514 FRQ.png

I'm not realy a headphone person but this budget AKG headphone is nothing special but after EQ the difference is Hugh (subjective). It's like a vail is lifted. Low is way more present an mids an highs are more bright but not overdone. Did found this almost brand new headphone used for only 2,50 euro but it sound now way better that this headphone is original priced around 110- euro's.

I added those filters also to APO for a system wide usages.

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Here are the measurements of your actual headphone.

Turns out the drivers suffer severely from compression so basing an EQ on a measurement at 80 or 90dB SPL will not yield proper EQ when using it at other levels.

Last edited:
OP
Snarfie

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here are the measurements of your actual headphone.

Turns out the drivers suffer severely from compression so basing an EQ on a measurement at 80 or 90dB SPL will not yield proper EQ when using it at other levels.
Thanx Frans for measuring my AKG. Will try out EQ on your measurments. But when listening at your place an comparing i probably will look for another headphone.:facepalm:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Your'e welcome Frans ...HE400SE ?

Top Bottom