• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

EQ for Apple Music on iPhone…with HD800s

AmalfiMan

I plug the HD800s into the iPhone via a 6.3mm / 3.5mm adapter into the white $8 apple dongle. The sound seems less clear, compared to my Bluetooth AirPod Max.

The iPhone EQ are preset to genre. And I cannot jail break it.

Would a $1300 RME ADI dac amp with the built EQ help? Any other cheaper dac amps with EQ?

Music1969

Major Contributor
Would a $1300 RME ADI dac amp with the built EQ help?
Yes, oratory made EQ specifically for use with ADI-2 for HD800-S

And look at the right side, adjustments to taste/preference

1654784888934.png

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I plug the HD800s into the iPhone via a 6.3mm / 3.5mm adapter into the white $8 apple dongle. The sound seems less clear, compared to my Bluetooth AirPod Max.

The iPhone EQ are preset to genre. And I cannot jail break it.

Would a $1300 RME ADI dac amp with the built EQ help? Any other cheaper dac amps with EQ?
Why don’t you try hooking your iPhone directly to your ex5 then trying the iPhone EQ.
That works great for me.
You could buy a million dollar DAC with EQ but if you feed it via a dongle you’re wasting your money.

Music1969

Major Contributor
You could buy a million dollar DAC with EQ but if you feed it via a dongle you’re wasting your money.
You can't even connect Apple Dongle to RME ADI-2 DAC

Both are D to A converters...

Obviously the iPhone connects to RME via USB cable

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You can't even connect Apple Dongle to RME ADI-2 DAC

Both are D to A converters...

Obviously the iPhone connects to RME via USB cable
I know that, you know that, but that how’s he’s connecting to his EX5

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
my iPhone connection is from Topping EX5, using a 2 prong red/gray RCA cable, ending with a 3.5mm. Then that 3.5mm connects to the Lightning port via apple dongle adapter.

staticV3

Master Contributor
@AmalfiMan consider buying the Qudelix 5K. It has 10-band PEQ built-in along with every single AutoEQ preset, and it's more than powerful enough to drive the HD800s via the 2.5mm balanced jack.

OP
AmalfiMan

AmalfiMan

Why don’t you try hooking your iPhone directly to your ex5 then trying the iPhone EQ.
That works great for me.
Any suggestions on a connector other than that white dongle? Remember, the iPhone isn’t using usb c yet.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I provided you with photos of the various adapter s that would work. Go to your local Apple Store or Staples and ask for a Lightning to USB B cable or the Belkon Rock Star adapter for Lightning.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
AmalfiMan

AmalfiMan

@AmalfiMan consider buying the Qudelix 5K. It has 10-band PEQ built-in along with every single AutoEQ preset, and it's more than powerful enough to drive the HD800s via the 2.5mm balanced jack.
Ok thx. Its no longer sold. Maybe a new version is on its way.
It does and has been suggested multiple times.
Ok just so I am clear as I get alot of replies with confusing info:

1. by using the white dongle (3.5mm to mini usb c) and bypassing the ex5, it has crappy sound? Because thats a shiity dac?
2. Same as above but using the ex5, but its using a double dac and that’s dangerous??
3. Same as above but without that dongle, and using a camera adapter, its both safer, and better sound through the ex5?

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok thx. Its no longer sold. Maybe a new version is on its way.

Ok just so I am clear as I get alot of replies with confusing info:

1. by using the white dongle (3.5mm to mini usb c) and bypassing the ex5, it has crappy sound? Because thats a shiity dac?
2. Same as above but using the ex5, but its using a double dac and that’s dangerous??
3. Same as above but without that dongle, and using a camera adapter, its both safer, and better sound through the ex5?
You really don’t know what you have and it’s all great stuff.

The main thing you don’t seem to get is the dongle should not be inline with the EX5. The camera adapter is a bad name but alas that is what it’s called. It will allow you to send single from your iPhone to the EX5 and allow you to keep your iPhone charged at the same time.

The other thing is how do you have your iPhone set? Low-fi mid-fi, or hi-fi?

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You seem to want to spend/waste money when you’d be better off to get what you have already bought working correctly.

I’m done.

OP
AmalfiMan

AmalfiMan

You really don’t know what you have and it’s all great stuff.

The main thing you don’t seem to get is the dongle should not be inline with the EX5. The camera adapter is a bad name but alas that is what it’s called. It will allow you to send single from your iPhone to the EX5 and allow you to keep your iPhone charged at the same time.

The other thing is how do you have your iPhone set? Low-fi mid-fi, or hi-fi?
In another post, you mentioned the use of both the ex5 and the apple dongle at the same time may damage my equipment?

In iPhone, the eq is preset by genre. Mine is on Dance. Lol

staticV3

Master Contributor
@AmalfiMan
my iPhone connection is from Topping EX5, using a 2 prong red/gray RCA cable, ending with a 3.5mm. Then that 3.5mm connects to the Lightning port via apple dongle adapter.
That is indeed not the way to go. The RCA ports on the EX5 are strictly outputs, not inputs.
If for some reason you are getting sound out of the EX5 that way, then please be aware that it is not by design and you can break stuff.

OP
AmalfiMan

AmalfiMan

@AmalfiMan

That is indeed not the way to go. The RCA ports on the EX5 are strictly outputs, not inputs.
If for some reason you are getting sound out of the EX5 that way, then please be aware that it is not by design and you can break stuff.
Yep thanks. The Ex5 has a fail safe where it won’t work if I connect the rca cable to the apple dongle. When i plug thr hd800s directly, bypassing the ex5, it works fine.

Top Bottom