• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

EQ advice needed after pad change (Ether CX)

Nemo

Forum Donor
Hi there,

This weekend I replaced the original Ether CX worn-out pads with ZMF Auteur. The original pads were a little tight for my anatomy from the beginning, but as they aged the drivers were just touching my ears, making weeing them a little tiring. Withe the help of another remember (thanks @ClosDeLaRoche!) I identified a pad that was a little bigger and generally more comfortable.

I have been using Oratary EQ (still waiting for @amirm measurements! ;)), and have found the tonality just perfect, but after the pad change, the tonality has shifted to "lighter" bass. I would like to hear from more knowledgeable member (@solderdude @Jose Hidalgo...) how to add a parametric EQ filter to lift the bass, while keeping the rest of the spectrum unchanged. I am kindly seeking advise on the type of filter, Q, and how to compensate for the general pre-amp level.

Screen Shot 2021-04-12 at 12.57.14 PM copy.jpg

Just in case anyone is curious, or it helps on the EQ, I can think of three possible mechanisms for the modest shift in tone, in order of likelihood IMHO:
  1. The pad attachment is less tight, leaking some sound pressure
  2. The bigger ear-space changes internal resonances to higher frequencies
  3. The ZFM material is more permeable to low frequencies that the original pads.
BTW placebo/nocebo effects are impossible to check due to the time and efforts it take to change the pads :rolleyes:

Thanks!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-04-12 at 12.49.31 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-04-12 at 12.49.31 PM.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 84
  • Screen Shot 2021-04-12 at 12.57.14 PM copy 2.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-04-12 at 12.57.14 PM copy 2.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 94

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I don't use digital EQ but I would say increase the low shelf and or 67Hz.
The real problem is that changing pads usually results in several changes here and there.
You either need to just play around and get it right or have it measured.

OP
Nemo

Nemo

Forum Donor
I don't use digital EQ but I would say increase the low shelf and or 67Hz.
The real problem is that changing pads usually results in several changes here and there.
You either need to just play around and get it right or have it measured.
Thanks for responding: I am surprised that you do not use digital EQ, probably you do not use a computer as a source...

Do you know how to calculate the pre-amp adjustment for a given EQ change? A brief search did not produce any useful results.

Thanks again!

solderdude

Grand Contributor
When you add say... 4dB just lower the pre-amp by 4dB when using the EQ you have now.
There are also programs that do it for you.

OP
Nemo

Nemo

Forum Donor
Thank @solderdude for his responses.

I discovered the cause for the shift in frequency response was due to a software glitch, and we are back to normal, i.e. great sound!

As a side note, it is interesting how I can lower the listening volume so much now and enjoy my music ;)

Jose Hidalgo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi, I'm a bit late apparently, but I'm glad you found a solution to your issues. :)

I'm by no means an expert, especially on ASR with very knowledgeable members like solderdude and many others. I'm barely starting to feel at ease in the EQ world, which is already a great thing.

If you want to learn more about EQ, I would suggest that you install and configure REW (Windows, MacOS, Linux). It's a great free software that will allow you (among other things) to :
  • Import HP frequency responses as csv/txt datasets (you can find such frequency responses on sites like AutoEQ or Headphones.com)
  • Import target responses (Harman, etc.) in a similar way - you can find them on the same sites, otherwise just ask me :)
  • Automatically match target responses with up to 20 parametric EQ filters
  • Modify filter parameters and SEE their influence graphically on the frequency response, in real time. This is the part that should interest you.
aftereq500h.png

I think you will learn a lot with it. Try it ! ;)

OP
Nemo

Nemo

Forum Donor
Wow, thanks @Jose Hidalgo: this is very useful, and I'll surely explore these :cool:

Last edited:

cursive

Forum Donor
Hi there,

This weekend I replaced the original Ether CX worn-out pads with ZMF Auteur. The original pads were a little tight for my anatomy from the beginning, but as they aged the drivers were just touching my ears, making weeing them a little tiring.

Which material pad from ZMF did you end up going with? I've been curious about other pad options for my CX and would like to maybe try them. I'm with you though, I really enjoy oratory 1990's eq, and want to find a pad that changes the tonality as little as possible.

OP
Nemo

Nemo

Forum Donor
Which material pad from ZMF did you end up going with? I've been curious about other pad options for my CX and would like to maybe try them. I'm with you though, I really enjoy oratory 1990's eq, and want to find a pad that changes the tonality as little as possible.
Hi there!

I got the perforated leather/velour pads. They are higher quality than the originals, with smooth surfaces and firm but still comfortable lining.

The inner space is bigger, and that alone makes them worthwhile for me. I do not think they change the tonality at all after having solved the software issue, so don't worry about that

Feel free to ask or PM me if you need any other details: I think you'll enjoy the change if you get them.

Top Bottom