• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Epic Games Acquires Bandcamp

caught gesture

Forum Donor

I really hope that this is not the end of bandcamp as I know it. The company pays almost 90% of music revenues to artists. That’s a sharp contrast with streaming platforms, such as Spotify, where artists receive a fraction of a penny per stream.

mugbot

Forum Donor
Interesting, hoping this doesn't lead to major changes.
My main objection with their games store has been exclusives, but I don't think I'd mind so much with Bandcamp provided you can still get the music DRM free and in high quality/lossless. I've picked up quite a bit from Bandcamp over time.

Zensō

Major Contributor
I have to wonder if this has anything to do with the Tidal buyout and rumors that they’re developing a platform to enable direct artist uploads and micro-payments, which sounds like a direct competitor to BandCamp.

Whatever the reason, this doesn’t seem to bode well for the future of BandCamp.

OP
caught gesture

caught gesture

Forum Donor

I bit of further digging and it starts to look bleaker for the musicians and their revenue stream.

kchap

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have to wonder if this has anything to do with the Tidal buyout and rumors that they’re developing a platform to enable direct artist uploads and micro-payments, which sounds like a direct competitor to BandCamp.

Whatever the reason, this doesn’t seem to bode well for the future of BandCamp.
I agree with your analysis but cannot bring myself to Click Like.

Frgirard

Major Contributor
Wait and see

Katji

Major Contributor
:oops:

I was so shocked when I saw it in RSS feed now, I started a post here for it, went back to get the link, and saw that it was here. :facepalm:

:confused:

It's like the last 2 years has been just more and more bad news.

Yeh, this corporate level, groups, can only mess up Bandcamp.

OP
caught gesture

caught gesture

Forum Donor
epic games is 40% owned by tencent, the chinese conglomerate that controls a huge part of media and communications in china, and which has been notably involved in alleged censorship and surveillance both inside and outside the country. you can choose to trust bandcamp's declaration that the partially chinese-owned american corporation are, and will remain, "champions for a fair and open Internet," or you cannot. as for us, we will reserve judgment for the time being.

bandcamp has already been banned in china last year, in a development which directly resulted in the censorship and marginalization of many independent artists from the nation, which is already subject to alleged heavy cultural and informational control by the state, and by big chinese media companies with alleged financial ties with the chinese government, such as tencent. in other words, today bandcamp is indirectly tied to a company from a country in which bandcamp itself can't be accessed, a company which itself controls a huge part of chinese media.

Copied from https://trouserpress.com/forum/read.php?1,63843. A message from the Mesmerize Records label.
ffs, just when one gets a hold of something that benefits the artist and begin to believe in it…

Last edited:
OP
caught gesture

caught gesture

Forum Donor
Digging deeper. Tencent owns Tencent Music. As of 2018, 46.6% of Tencent Music class A ordinary shares are owned by Spotify. Obviously Spotify Technology SA is a Luxembourg-based company. Tencent Holdings Limited are a 11% shareholder in Spotify.
I’m getting more depressed now. A company that pays artists a pittance, avoids paying taxes, is now intertwined with bandcamp.

Last edited:

dpturner

Forum Donor
so spotify wants to monetize bandcamp. meaning, redirect artist compensation to shareholders. this just sucks any way you look at it.

Sombreuil

First Fender that buys Presonus, now Epic with Bandcamp. :(
Well, considering it means bad news 50% of the time, I'm not too optimistic but we'll see...

Zensō

Major Contributor
First Fender that buys Presonus, now Epic with Bandcamp. :(
Well, considering it means bad news 50% of the time, I'm not too optimistic but we'll see...
With Epic’s reputation, as well as the fact that Tencent own’s a 40% share, this is not going to end well. Really, really disappointing...

Artsfols

Here is something to think about.
Bandcamp is profitable. Spotify is bleeding money. That bodes well for the 'bandcamp' model, and why wouldn't any future owners preserve it.

How can this be when Bandcamp pays out decently and Spotify pays radio level royalties?
You probably know the answer. Bandcamp also charges customers a decent, fair amount, while Spotify gives the product away. Free accounts and if you do pay, they give you an infinite music library for a too low monthly fee. On top of this, there's no 'moat' around the Spotify business model and price competition is intense.

It's interesting that someone figured out Spotify now having a large indirect investment in bandcamp. I would not be surprise if they intend to pivot the digital subscription service by competing with themselves.

Note that apple itunes also paid a fair royalty, according to various artists I quizzed about the subject. It's the streaming subscription model that is ripping off the artists; let's hope that changes.

OP
caught gesture

caught gesture

Forum Donor
1651481973597.png

Top Bottom