• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Enough volume but not enough dynamics?

Apple offer somewhat large storage (500GB on iPhone, 1TB on iPhone Pro), but boy is it overpriced.

Adding 256GB of fast 1500MB/s NAND Flash to your laptop or PC costs around 25€.

Adding 256GB of fast 1500MB/s NAND Flash to your iPhone costs around 250€. Ten times as much for the same underlying chips.

Apple execs are laughing up their sleeves at the ridiculous profit margins that they manage to sneak past their users :)
Indeed.

Even worse, that's 10 times increase based on retail price. If looking at wholesale cost, it's probably more like 20-50 times or 95%-99.99...% profit. I mean, random Chinese guys can literally assemble flagship iPhones from available parts for $50 US, from local *retail* ...

Plus, adding 1TB microSD that's rated to be fast enough for 4K video capture is closer to $50 than $100, which, while not as fast, is still plenty speedy for real-world applications. Plus, Apple doesn't have to pay taxes, and are the kings of planned obsolescence and e-waste.

Last edited:
Indeed.

Even worse, that's 10 times increase based on retail price. If looking at wholesale cost, it's probably more like 20-50 times or 95%-99.99...% profit. I mean, random Chinese guys can literally assemble flagship iPhones from available parts for $50 US, from local *retail* ...

Plus, adding 1TB microSD that's rated to be fast enough for 4K video capture is closer to $50 than $100, which, while not as fast, is still plenty speedy for real-world applications. Plus, Apple doesn't have to pay taxes, and are the kings of planned obsolescence and e-waste.
Is my addiction and weakness, I’m guilty… I’m Apple fan :eek:

Hopefully I love so much music to never buy the audio stuff they sell…

i dont think the 8XX is a '' dynamic '' headphone tbh, if you wanna subbass you have to find a good pair of planar magnetic headphones with low thd in it's subbass

the senn are know of it's soundstage not for their dynamic bass

Is my addiction and weakness, I’m guilty… I’m Apple fan :eek:

Hopefully I love so much music to never buy the audio stuff they sell…
Lol. Apple has great marketing (and that's really what they are best at) and I'm only ever annoyed with Apple, not folks that buy the stuff they make.

Personally, I just like my money to stretch further than it would with Apple products, and without the strings Apple wants to attach to everything in their walled-garden. Plus their customer service is actually terrible - they always, as if by magic, price repairs so high that you are better off buying a brand new shiny instead, lol.

If I avoid Apple I can always get just as good and often objectively better for cheaper and then I have money left over for content, savings, hobbies, etc., you know? Yeah, the Apple dongle *might* be an exception (I haven't found objective measurements for other $10 dongles, so pretty hard to say), but it's probably still like 90%+ profit margin and costs Apple less than $1 to make, lol, and still inferior to a built-in headphone jack in terms of durability in the pocket.

Cheers!

Edit: Just to restate, "plenty volume not enough dynamics" sounds like marketing to me.

Last edited:
Lol. Apple has great marketing (and that's really what they are best at) and I'm only ever annoyed with Apple, not folks that buy the stuff they make.

Personally, I just like my money to stretch further than it would with Apple products, and without the strings Apple wants to attach to everything in their walled-garden. Plus their customer service is actually terrible - they always, as if by magic, price repairs so high that you are better off buying a brand new shiny instead, lol.

If I avoid Apple I can always get just as good and often objectively better for cheaper and then I have money left over for content, savings, hobbies, etc., you know? Yeah, the Apple dongle *might* be an exception (I haven't found objective measurements for other $10 dongles, so pretty hard to say), but it's probably still like 90%+ profit margin and costs Apple less than $1 to make, lol, and still inferior to a built-in headphone jack in terms of durability in the pocket.

Cheers!

Edit: Just to restate, "plenty volume not enough dynamics" sounds like marketing to me.
Personally I was into Apple because time ago they had the only OS with a good accessibility (I have a congenital visual impairment), whereas Windows had a very poor magnification software and had a lot of issues.

Now I have no justification because all smartphones, computers and tablets has a good amount of visual accessibility onboard, I use a Windows at work with no problems.

But once captured by the sect, difficult to get out: iphone, apple watch, ipad… help!

At least they have the best screens as I can tell for trying other devices, and retain good value with time if one want a new model and resell the ancient. Agree with you, you can obtain the same for less money, today they don’t offer nothing new

Back
Top Bottom