• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Enjoyable DIY speaker video with some engineering teachings

Fone

Below is a an enjoyable and short DIY speaker tutorial.

The maker builds inexpensive Voigt speakers, highlighting some key engineering concepts, including: ports, transmission lines, horns, dampening, material selection, and frequency measurements. He even built a DIY anechoic chamber in his loft for some quick demonstrations. His scientific explanations are fun to listen to.

Aprude51

Agreed! I stumbled on this video via YouTube and was impressed by the detail and clarity of his explanations, especially given that he makes videos on such a wide range of engineering related topics.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, I was watching that video over the past week. Seems to be doing the rounds. It's great.

TimW

Major Contributor
I watched that video and found it very interesting. It made me wonder how many companies might use a similar construction technique. A few days later this video tour of a Meridian factory came out. The circuit board manufacturing is pretty cool but at 13:27 he talks about the construction of the cabinets and it turns out they use a similar plywood sandwich construction method.

Eirikur

Another interesting cheap panel speaker build from the same makers - note the juggernaut resistors in the beginning of the video!
$30, including the hooks on the wall :D

Eirikur

... and with so much noise around you may want to build your own absorption panels

Top Bottom