• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

English tears [passing of Queen Elizabeth II]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Tried to find some actual news to listen to when I woke up but all I found was a forelock tugging idiot discussing “that time the queen helped me with a very hard jigsaw”, is this news?, I’m reminded of when Jo Moore (Tory party government advisor) apologised for sending a memo on the day of the 2001 US terror attacks saying it would be a good time to "bury" some controversial stories.

Ive always been pretty indifferent to the monarchy but it should die now, 10+ days of this mawkish subservient drivel on all broadcasts is taking the utter piss, the BBC better not cancel Gone Fishing with Bob and Paul t’night (brilliant show btw) - that’s a step too far.

Suffolkhifinut

Major Contributor
She was a phenomenon. You have to be 69+ to have been born before she was Queen. You have to be in your mid to late 70's to ever have been aware of her Father as King.

She took on the role at age 25, and has sacrificed* her entire adult life to serving her country. She was still working (inviting our new prime minster to be so) just 2 days ago.

*I use the word advisedly. The monarchy as an institution chews people up and spits them out. Of the institution, I am not a fan. Of our late Queen I have little but respect. We'll never see her like again.
At 78 I vaguely remember George VI mainly because he died on my birthday. Not being disrespectful but we didn’t have wall to wall media coverage back then. The Royal Family were remote to us yet widely respected.
The first TV I saw was the Queen’s coronation in 1953, a room jammed full of people watching it on a 9” black and white TV resplendent in its bakalite cabinet. The start of mass media coverage?

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
At 78 I vaguely remember George VI mainly because he died on my birthda. Not being disrespectful but we didn’t have wall to wall media coverage back then. The Royal Family were remote to us yet widely respected.
The first TV I saw was the Queen’s coronation in 1953, a room jammed full of people watching it on a 9” black and white TV resplendent in its bakalite cabinet. The start of mass media coverage?
I read this morning that film footage of the Queen Elizabeth's important events where flown via British Air Force to Canada ASAP so we could see what was occurring.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Lord Mountbatten's disastrous handling of India?
This is getting a bit political... :facepalm: There where bad embarrassments happening we know but in those times things where different, people are dynamic and have some very different customs and goals and to lead or try to lead a unknown is a very difficult task. Look at where humanity would be without the British Empire as is similar with The Romans.

Suffolkhifinut

Major Contributor
1366_2000.jpg
Historically inaccurate don’t think the landed gentry were responsible for the industrial revolution. The fathers of the industrial revolution came from the middle and working classes. There were some such as Robert Owen who didn’t exploit the people unfortunately nowhere near enough of them came close to him. The Working Class in the UK were treated far worse than people anywhere else in the World. Think you might find Queen Victoria was appalled by the living conditions in Manchester.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
People from the 'commonwealth' nations were greeted by a 'hostile environment' when they came to work in the 'mother country'.
I've relocated to new locals for work and the people in some places considered me the competition and a outsider stealing their jobs. It was not good. So I don't doubt this. It's natural to feel this way sometimes.

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Lord Mountbatten's disastrous handling of India?
Mountbatten's handling is moot. There was an urgency involved, demanded by the Indians and necessary for the British. If the Mountbatten and the British might have done better in '47 than they did, ultimately the Indians, Hindu and Muslim, were the authors of their own disaster.

Anyway, in addition to be related to the Royal family, Mountbatten was also a high military officer and a prominent military leader in the Asian theater during WWII. He was a good choice for Viceroy and many Indians were respectful of the fact that he was cousin to the "King Emperor".

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
We're talking about racism - 'No Blacks or Irish' - ah, that's natural...
I've experienced that racism too. I had a English surname for decades but the name change was never completed and so I was legally of a Scotch name. I corrected the birthname issue and the racism came from the other side. I got racism from both sides of the fence.

Digby

Major Contributor
I thought this was a no politics forum. I, much like everyone else, have opinions on matters beyond the death of Queen Elizabeth II, but as far as I am aware we don't do politics on this forum. The thread is in remembrance of a monarch, not a debate about the British empire - plenty of other places are available to do the latter.

Suffolkhifinut

Major Contributor
Of course its political. Its about the death of a monarch. The British Empire was dreadful. People from the 'commonwealth' nations were greeted by a 'hostile environment' when they came to work in the 'mother country'.
So it didn’t do any good through out the World?
We're talking about racism - 'No Blacks or Irish' - ah, that's natural...
Worked throughout the World and have to agree racism exists in England. Living in Brentford on the 1990s the leisure centre near Kew Bridge was advertising squash lessons. Went to enroll to be told I couldn’t as I was white, male and English, ethnic minorities and Women only.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I thought this was a no politics forum. I, much like everyone else, have opinions on matters beyond the death of Queen Elizabeth II, but as far as I am aware we don't do politics on this forum. The thread is in remembrance of a monarch, not a debate about the British empire - plenty of other places are available to do the latter.
It seems you are the one stirring the pot per say. :facepalm:

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Mountbatten's handling is moot. There was an urgency involved, demanded by the Indians and necessary for the British. If the Mountbatten and the British might have done better in '47 than they did, ultimately the Indians, Hindu and Muslim, were the authors of their own disaster.

Anyway, in addition to be related to the Royal family, Mountbatten was also a high military officer and a prominent military leader in the Asian theater during WWII. He was a good choice for Viceroy and many Indians were respectful of the fact that he was cousin to the "King Emperor".
Don't waste your time on him mate.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Her Majesty's a pretty nice girl but she doesn't have a lot to say.

TBH, I was sad when Prince Philip died- he was delightfully funny, clearly had no f***s to give.

Ron Party

CPH (Chief Prog Head)
I went to the Apple website this morning and was greeted with the following home page:

Queen E.jpg

sq225917

Major Contributor
Let's not forget, despite the handshaking with foreign dignities of colour, the first black guardsman on royal service took up his post in the late 80's and there was up until 1968 a colour bar on black staff serving as personal secretary to the royals, at least according to the then financial manager of buck Palace. So very much a two faced coin.

Charles has shown himself to be a far more progressive person than any other royal, apart from his late wife. I look forward to seeing what he does in the post.

Digby

Major Contributor
What have Amir or moderators got to do with respect or otherwise for the British royals? I never met her so I don't know what she was like. I have no respect for the institution of monarchy. But that doesn't mean I don't respect other people.
You just want arguments. We don't discuss the things you are trying to force discussion of here. These are Amir's rules, like it or lump it - that is who you are disrespecting. There are plenty of other places to engage in these fruitless debates on the internet, the internet is full of it, may I suggest reddit as a starting point?

Last edited:

Suffolkhifinut

Major Contributor
Let’s take the Kikuyu uprising first and it’s origins. The British Colonial Rulers made the tribes in Northern Kenya terrace the land to preserve water for irrigation, they also forbade the keeping of goats to minimise soil erosion. Northern Kenya now has the desert creeping further and further South. This was the conclusion of an investigation by the UN into the Mau Mau (Uhuru) conflict. Please stop assuming the worst without looking into it first.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Let's not forget, despite the handshaking with foreign dignities of colour, the first black guardsman on royal service took up his post in the late 80's and there was up until 1968 a colour bar on black staff serving as personal secretary to the royals, at least according to the then financial manager of buck Palace. So very much a two faced coin.

Charles has shown himself to be a far more progressive person than any other royal, apart from his late wife. I look forward to seeing what he does in the post.
He has the voice and personality for it I think. Plus he's no spring chicken to death and misery. I think his farming agenda is a bit simple for him but maybe I'm wrong. It's a big topic farming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom