• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Engineers Will Save The World "Jay Leno"

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Jay Leno proclaims, "engineers will save the world" as he breaks down the details of the 2019 Dodge Hellcat Redeye. (797 HP on pump gas)
Life just keeps getting better for Mopar fans! Maybe even almost as good news is the 485 HP Challange Scat Pac is available for under $39K!

Rod

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Engineers will do what makes them the most money.

Rod

Addicted to Fun and Learning
But I am glad some of them went into the art of making music. Thank you guys and gals.

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
But I am glad some of them went into the art of making music. Thank you guys and gals.
The ones that went for Hi Fi, and the ones that went for Horse Power, I'm divided on which were the most beneficial to our existence. ;)

Reactions: Rod

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
797HP, bah! That's not an engine, this is an engine,

View attachment 19556

I was in attendance at DU in Aioi to see a couple of these do their first start up.

Is that destined for stationary use in a power station or on a ship? I would think it runs on #6 fuel oil and turns slowly, either 60 or 120 rpm.

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
797HP, bah! That's not an engine, this is an engine,
Yea, but it won't fit in a passenger car.
I had one of these years ago, the Cougar, but driving it on the street could be a problem o_O

HYPERSONIC-BRIAN-MURPHY_lg.jpg

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Well I worked for Romeo Palamides back in the mid-late 60s. The driver Brian Murphy and I toured the US with doing match racing, usually against one of Walt Arfons jet cars. Fun times for a young man, here's a little better photo Hyper-Sonic and one of our bigger dragsters, The Untouchable.
HYPERSONIC-BRIAN-MURPHY2.jpeg
J D ZINK 4_w.jpg

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Well I worked for Romeo Palamides back in the mid-late 60s. The driver Brian Murphy and I toured the US with doing match racing, usually against one of Walt Arfons jet cars. Fun times for a young man, here's a little better photo Hyper-Sonic and one of our bigger dragsters, The Untouchable.

Holy crap that's utterly awesome! Way more interesting than boring-ass f'ing HiFi gear. Fascinating.

Great photo of that land missile- you can read the Firestone on the sidewalls. :)

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is that destined for stationary use in a power station or on a ship? I would think it runs on #6 fuel oil and turns slowly, either 60 or 120 rpm.

This one was going into a 6,600TEU container ship, the overwhelming majority of these slow speed engines are for marine use although a few do go to power plants. The top speed of this engine was indeed 120rpm, other smaller slow speed engines destined for bulk carriers and tankers can mx out at about 70rpm.

This engine also demonstrates the risk of believing everything on Wikipedia, wiki claims that the RTA was designed by Finnish company Wartsila. The design was a Swiss Sulzer design, Sulzer spun off their engine unit as NSD which was then bought by Wartsila. The big slow speed engine unit was then spun off again to become Winterthur Gas & Diesel (WinGD).

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
View attachment 19577View attachment 19578

I am jealous! There was a terrific documentary series on the land speed record a few years ago with one of the episodes being about Walt Arfons. I find in some ways we inhabit a more boring world as I look back at those land speed cars, the space race, development of supersonic airliners etc.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
On those big RTAs you needed the crane andlifting gear to fit the lifting gear when removing big bits for maintenance.

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Top Bottom