• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

End of High-End Show at CES???

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Has anyone got any numbers around how hifi ownership might have changed over time, especially split by age bracket? There is a feeling it might have plummeted recently, but I'm not so sure it's not just been a slow and steady change.

CuteStudio

Shows in general have got a LOT more expensive to attend, the vendor spends a huge amount of time and money doing them and all they see are a few tyre kickers having a day out at their expense.

Then HiFi has got it's own problems from two sides, the main side is the record companies who don't care about quality, in fact low quality hides lack of talent in a few cases too. The other side is the snake-oil hype coming back to bite them, for decades HiFi has been full of outrageous charlatans peddling expensive useless 'solutions' to non existent problems and in the good times of the 1970s-1990s this didn't matter too much, although it must have put a LOT of normal, rational people off the whole scene.

Then there's the population: We've now developed into a siege mentality where there's no room for quality in our disposable society, the money today is in cables - the easiest and most trivial part of the system, which is at the expense of everything else - even buying the music. Todays generation are no longer interested in HiFi - or even nice old cars, they skate past on a superficial, glittery media highway and the search for quality sound simply wouldn't occur to most of them, even if they could listen to some uncompressed unclipped music coming out of something bigger than an Amazon spy-box at some stage.

I notice the car audio scene does far far better, they have a bit of a 'Watts' obsession and the music is awful, but the fuses, cables and amps are all honest parts and it's quire refreshing in many ways. I can recommend getting some decent car audio speaker cable for HiFi BTW, it's excellent value for money and works a treat :D

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That got me curious and had to google. Never had any idea that there was this kind organized activity surrounding frisbee throwing?

Oh come on Sal. You should try disc golf. Cheaper and to me more fun than the ball and stick variety. Florida has lots of courses to play compared to most areas. There are bound to be a few within a short drive of you.

Way back when I was younger I liked to play Ultimate. Pretty big on colleges in recent years. But you sure do need to be in good physical condition for that. Most colleges have teams and rivalries are rather serious. Unusual in that for a highly competitive game there are no referees typically. Players are expected to call penalties on themselves honestly to maintain the spirit of the game. As well as a college series the World Flying Disc Association also oversee world championships for Ultimate with national teams from all over the world.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Way back when I was younger I liked to play Ultimate. Pretty big on colleges in recent years. But you sure do need to be in good physical condition for that. Most colleges have teams and rivalries are rather serious. Unusual in that for a highly competitive game there are no referees typically. Players are expected to call penalties on themselves honestly to maintain the spirit of the game. As well as a college series the World Flying Disc Association also oversee world championships for Ultimate with national teams from all over the world.
I thought it pretty exciting as a spectator sport although that is not an unbiased reaction. Here I was, sitting in NY, watching my grandson on the pitch in Perth as my daughter, son-in-law and grand-daughter are cheering on the sidelines. Ain't modern technology amazing!

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I thought it pretty exciting as a spectator sport although that is not an unbiased reaction. Here I was, sitting in NY, watching my grandson on the pitch in Perth as my daughter, son-in-law and grand-daughter are cheering on the sidelines. Ain't modern technology amazing!

Yes technology is amazing. Almost like magic. I actually think playing Ultimate is way better than watching it though it could become a good spectator event in time I think. Unfortunately these days I am well past playing such a game. Judging or creating the unusual flight patterns of a spinning disc are highly interesting and it becomes addictive at least for some.

BigVU's

Forum Donor
I was looking for an upcoming show on the site and to find this read. Man I am late to the game! So the hi fi shows have become flying disc competitions. Aye!? Oh well.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Rocky Mountain Audio Fest that is coming in September is still doing well. As was AXPONA. CES charges way too much for what they do for high-end audio companies. They used to have a monopoly on this and held it at a cheap hotel. Both have changed and hence the demise.

BigVU's

Forum Donor
Rocky Mountain Audio Fest looks like a decent one. Web site nice and laid out. 40 bucks for 3 day tour. Hmm...

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
If your in the area, the Suncoast Audio guys are repeating the Tampa Fl show this year.
Looks to be much bigger and better than last years inaugural show. :)
Where else would you rather be on Feb 7-9 than in the Paradise of Central FL?
https://floridaaudioexpo.com/

Top Bottom