• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Emulating Glasses for Headphone Measurements

RHO

Major Contributor
I don’t get why people feel the need to keep their glasses on while listening. Just get contacts
I don't get why people think I need to take my glasses off to be able to listen to music.

Semla

1630046666979.png

Brüel &Kjaer's homepage today - do they read this forum?

vert

Forum Donor
Unless walking, commuting, driving etc. why not chill and take the glasses off ? It's good for your eyes anyway. I now take every opportunity to take off my glasses. Doctors used to recommend wearing glasses only as necessary. Now they're like permanent appendices on our faces. Lenses are even worse. That aside, I'm all for it.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Unless walking, commuting, driving etc. why not chill and take the glasses off ? It's good for your eyes anyway. I now take every opportunity to take off my glasses. Doctors used to recommend wearing glasses only as necessary. Now they're like permanent appendices on our faces. Lenses are even worse. That aside, I'm all for it.
Because I can't see shit then.

Paolo

Something like this:

5C5AD4B7-C649-43C0-A601-04E8B4B151BE.png

• Easy to attach and remove, always with the same position
  • You may have more than one size of “glasses”
  • Maybe the most important part, the 3D model could be freely shared, because science ;)
I don’t have the means to produce a model, let alone the print, but would be more than happy to help found it.

jae

Major Contributor
Blu-tack + bubble level.

While you're at it maybe you can use a santa claus costume beard to test how that affects seal? :p

Zensō

Major Contributor
I don’t get why people feel the need to keep their glasses on while listening. Just get contacts
Really? There are many cases where contacts can’t replace glasses, and some of us produce music and/or listen to music while we’re working.

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
Really? There are many cases where contacts can’t replace glasses, and some of us produce music and/or listen to music while we’re working.

You are, of course, right.

However, if we’re being completely honest, these instances will be rare.

This site…

https://preventblindness.org/wearing-contact-lenses/

…suggests contacts are only unsuitable for 10% of people. For maybe 90% (or, I suspect, more) of uses, it will not be necessary to have corrected vision whilst listening. Yes, some people will be mixing, etc., but this will be a small minority.

That leaves 1% (10% of 10%). And, whilst that’s still a very real issue in those instances, we shouldn’t overstate the case.

Whilst some might like to work and listen at the same time, but that will by definition be an instance where ones attention and concentration is divided and diluted, and where the Nth degree of sound quality isn’t perhaps as important.

Zensō

Major Contributor
You are, of course, right.

However, if we’re being completely honest, these instances will be rare.

This site…

https://preventblindness.org/wearing-contact-lenses/

…suggests contacts are only unsuitable for 10% of people. For maybe 90% (or, I suspect, more) of uses, it will not be necessary to have corrected vision whilst listening. Yes, some people will be mixing, etc., but this will be a small minority.

That leaves 1% (10% of 10%). And, whilst that’s still a very real issue in those instances, we shouldn’t overstate the case.

Whilst some might like to work and listen at the same time, but that will by definition be an instance where ones attention and concentration is divided and diluted, and where the Nth degree of sound quality isn’t perhaps as important.
Clearly (no pun intended), more than 10% of people who need vision correction wear glasses. It’s not only that contacts are unsuitable for some, some will also choose not to wear contacts for personal reasons (not wanting something touching the surface of their eyes, for example).

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I use (multifocal) contact lenses for work, in front of screens. In the evening I like to take them out and use reading glasses. It's a huge relief, like removing ski gear.

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
I use (multifocal) contact lenses for work, in front of screens. In the evening I like to take them out and use reading glasses. It's a huge relief, like removing ski gear.

I tend to wear mine from getting up until going to bed, unless my eyes feel tired, dry, or whatever, which is a fairly rare.

You’ve made a fair point. But I have to be honest, and this is the kicker.

If I’d spent £4,000 on a pair of Dan Clarke Stealths, I suspect I’d go without glasses, even if I couldn’t wear contacts, if the arms spoiled the sound quality.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I tend to wear mine from getting up until going to bed, unless my eyes feel tired, dry, or whatever, which is a fairly rare.

You’ve made a fair point. But I have to be honest, and this is the kicker.

If I’d spent £4,000 on a pair of Dan Clarke Stealths, I suspect I’d go without glasses, even if I couldn’t wear contacts, if the arms spoiled the sound quality.

Fair, and my point relates more to casual listening (i.e. while reading a book) than serious

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Many people only wear glasses to read or use a computer screen. These people are not going to put in contact lenses for that purpose and they may well want to read about, or select the music they are listening to.

Top Bottom