• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Emotiva XSP-1 stereo preamp discussion, with Emotiva's measurements

jruser

I have attached the test reports that Emotiva had posted on their site a long time ago. One of the attachments has measurements for the Gen1 model and another has measurements for the Gen2 model.

Questions:
  • Does anybody own the Emotiva XSP-1?
  • What are the thoughts on this model?
  • What are the thoughts on the measurements?
  • Is the phono section built into this OK? The low frequencies on the 1khz phono graph look pretty weird. (specifically gen 1)
  • Would there be an improvement adding a different phono pre? (specifically gen 1)
I own the gen1 model and have used it for several years.

It appears to me that the gen 1 model slightly performed better than the gen 2 model in their tests. I am disappointed that the HT Bypass is measurably worse performing than the rest of the inputs. The headphone section uses TPA6130A2.

Attachments

• xsp1_full_report.pdf
    6.4 MB · Views: 577
  • XSP-1_Gen2_2013-11-27.pdf
    5.1 MB · Views: 727
Last edited:

rvsixer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Excellent preamp imo.

Measures well (verified by others in addition to Emotiva's already independent testing). I wouldn't worry at all about the "measurably worse" (yet still measuring fine) HT bypass, considering the signal "quality" being fed to it by today's AVR's. For me it does a great job at HT bypass in real world use.

Now for headphones, I bypass the built in amp and use an external one.

garbulky

Major Contributor
FWIW: I thought the DC-1's analog preamp sounded better. But the XSP-1 sounded great to me too. (Subjective, no dbt performed)

OP
J

jruser

Mine just developed a problem in the last week. When I first turn it on after it has been off for a while, some hiss and squealing tones start coming out of the speakers. The squealing gets progressively higher in pitch until it goes away, and the hiss goes away shortly after. I'm leaving it powered on for now to prevent the issue.

Probably going to grab an HPA-4 to replace it. Can't decide if I want to bother with the substantial repair fee to get the Emotiva fixed. Seems like a waste to get rid of it.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
That's some bad capacitor(s) for sure. Something goes into oscillation until ESR has recovered enough... possibly a voltage regulator, in which case any electrolytic before or after it would be suspect. Probably something smallish, a few hundred µF tops. I sort of doubt they would have been using any Japanese ones.

Look for a service tech with an ESR meter at his disposal, I'd say.

OP
J

jruser

That's some bad capacitor(s) for sure. Something goes into oscillation until ESR has recovered enough... possibly a voltage regulator, in which case any electrolytic before or after it would be suspect. Probably something smallish, a few hundred µF tops. I sort of doubt they would have been using any Japanese ones.

Look for a service tech with an ESR meter at his disposal, I'd say.

Emotiva cost to service it is $300, plus whatever it costs for me to ship it to them.

Don't know if that is reasonable or not, but also don't have any local shops that do this kind of thing.

rvsixer

Bummer. Hope mine lasts. I'd have a hard time parting with $350 to have Emotiva fix it, when mint condition used ones are going for ~$600. I'd search for a local or mail-in tech first as AnalogSteph suggested.

OP
J

jruser

Bummer. Hope mine lasts. I'd have a hard time parting with $350 to have Emotiva fix it, when mint condition used ones are going for ~$600. I'd search for a local or mail-in tech first as AnalogSteph suggested.

After they service it, it only gets a 120 day warranty. So if it comes down with another problem 6 months later, that would hurt. Given the unit is 6.5 years old, I don't think I can take the gamble.

I wonder if there is any market for a partially malfunctioning unit like this. Probably not.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor

MusicNBeer

Forum Donor
I had a power supply cap crap out on my XSP-1. It was still under warranty so I paid one way shipping. Not bad. I'm pretty sure Emo uses cheap caps that cause lots of longer term reliability issues. That combined with a poor out of warranty policy really lowers the value of their gear. I won't be buying anything else.

HammerSandwich

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I hear you. I do see lots of stuff like this on ebay as "Parts only". At least then you are not storing it then :) .
Before doing that, see what "just serviced with 90-day warranty remaining" units sell for. Might be enough to justify the $350 service fee.

OP
J

jruser

I had a power supply cap crap out on my XSP-1. It was still under warranty so I paid one way shipping. Not bad. I'm pretty sure Emo uses cheap caps that cause lots of longer term reliability issues. That combined with a poor out of warranty policy really lowers the value of their gear. I won't be buying anything else.

My old UMC-200 had that same power supply cap issue. Also was fixed under warranty. Sold it for a decent amount. Used to have an XPA-5 that I also sold. I also don't see myself buying more Emotiva.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
OP
J

jruser

Works for me...

How many watts does it draw?

Don't have any way to measure. Specs for the G2 model say it draws 32W when powered on. Mine is the G1 so maybe different.

OP
J

jruser

Would there be any use to sending mine to Amir for testing, or would the issue affect/invalidate test results?

rvsixer

I just measured power draw on my 120VAC Gen2:
0.7W standby
~30.5W normal ops

IMO not sure if we need more XSP-1 testing (then again too much is never enough lol). We already have excellent measurements done via AP audio analyzer, as well as archimago's own independent test results.

Top Bottom