• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Emotiva XPA HC-1 Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 99 46.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 101 47.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 9 4.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 6 2.8%

• Total voters

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a review and detailed measurements of the Emotiva XPA HC-1 Monoblock amplifier. It is on kind loan from a member and costs US $879.
Emotival XPS HC-1 Monoblock Amplifier Hifi Review.jpg

As the name indicates, this is a single channel power amplifier. I have a soft spot for monoblocks and the HC-1 hits it. I especially like the power button which has buttery action and nice orange color when you hit it. Alas, then it switches to the cold, trademark blue color of Emotiva. Wish they would switch to that orange!

Note that the amplifier is *very* deep, probably three times as deep as it is high. Back panel shows nice inclusion of XLR input which is what I used for testing:
Emotival XPS HC-1 Monoblock Amplifier Hifi Back Panel Review.jpg

The design of the amplifier is Class AB with dual power supply rails in order to keep power consumption low at lower powers. It did that as the amplifier barely generated any heat during my testing. I was not a fan of the protection circuit though as when it clicked in (during 20 kHz sweep), it required power switch in the back to be toggled. I like self-resetting protection circuits and if that is not possible, have the front panel be used for that purpose.

If you are not familiar with my amplifier measurements, I highly suggest watching this video on amplifier measurements.

Emotiva HC-1 Amplifier Measurements
Let's start with our usual 5 watt dashboard using XLR input:
Emotival XPS HC-1 Monoblock Amplifier Hifi measurements.png

My eye quickly went to the high distortion products which sadly lands the HC-1 at well below average of all amplifiers tested:
Best monoblock amplifier review.png

Even though SINAD is distortion dominated above, noise performance at 5 watts is not anything to write home about either:
Emotival XPS HC-1 Monoblock Amplifier Hifi SNR measurements.png

I like to see an amplifier above budget prices to clear 16 bit hurdle of 96 dB at 5 watts. Or else, sensitive speakers may spit out noise.

Frequency response is essentially flat in audible band and good bandwidth:
Emotival XPS HC-1 Monoblock Amplifier Hifi frequency response measurements.png

Multitone test patter shines a familiar light on the amplifier when it comes to distortion:
Emotival XPS HC-1 Monoblock Amplifier Hifi Multitone measurements.png

In an attempt to have more common measurements with other sites, I decided to run the 19+20 kHz intermodulation distortion (although I don't know what power others use):
Emotival XPS HC-1 Monoblock Amplifier Hifi 19 20 intermodulation measurements.png

Spray of intermodulation products around our dual tones don't paint a pretty picture.

Let's run our power sweeps:
Emotival XPS HC-1 Monoblock Amplifier Hifi Power 4 measurements.png

Emotival XPS HC-1 Monoblock Amplifier Hifi Power 8 measurements.png

We do have a lot of power but alas, that comes at the expensive of noise+distortion. Allowing for 1% THD distortion, we do get a lot of power:
Emotival XPS HC-1 Monoblock Amplifier Hifi Peak and max power measurements.png

Rail switching design ("Class H") shows distinct change in performance as that happens:
Emotival XPS HC-1 Monoblock Amplifier Hifi Power 4 vs frequency vs distortion measurements.png

Notice how distortion is lowest around our 1 kHz testing and increased when you go lower or higher in frequency. The latter is kind of expected but not the lower.

Conclusions
The Emotiva brand is one of budget prices but with high performance. Alas, after testing many of their products, the right message here is budget prices with slightly below average performance. Company really needs to retool their products and bring up the objective performance up a notch or two. Then they will have a winning formula. As is, we see products like HC-1 here which underperform more than half the amplifiers ever tested (over 400). Fortunately it is very powerful so likely sounds OK.

I can't recommend the Emotiva XPS HC-1 amplifier. It is an OK amp but we are not here for OK products.
----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Gosh, I wonder why they made it so deep. It surely increases costs for no gain. Maybe they thought it would not produce that much power if the box was smaller!

Todd k

Forum Donor
It’s a shame Emotiva can’t engineer better products. I own a XMC 1 and a small amp I use in my office. I really think their aesthetic is rather attractive but their engineering is meh. In todays market place with all the low cost excellent power amps available they will not be long for this world with these kinds of efforts.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Gosh, I wonder why they made it so deep. It surely increases costs for no gain. Maybe they thought it would not produce that much power if the box was smaller!

I reckon the amplifier is modular and used in several of their multichannel units. The power supply also appears to have multiple paralleled secondary connections and is likely used in other amplifiers.

Makes sense to do that. I guess they figured monoblock buyers want a big serious looking box even if there's not much in it.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I guess they figured monoblock buyers want a big serious looking box even if there's not much in it.

“The chassis on the XPA HC-1 is the same height and depth as our other XPA Gen3 models, but half as wide, making it easy to position an XPA HC-1 near each of your main speakers or arrange several of them side by side in your equipment rack. We’ve kept the sides clear of ventilation slots, so there’s no problem setting them directly next to each other.”

At least they are honest with the spec
  • THD + noise: < 0.005%; at 100 watts RMS; 1 kHz; 8 Ohms.
  • 600 watts RMS; 20 Hz – 20 kHz; THD<0.2%; 4 Ohms.

Amir had it at 588 watts at 0.035% so it would likely hit 600 W at 0.2%. It’s not clear if the 600W rating is THD or THD+N either.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
heaps of power, not a lot of finesse

the case design is probably universal to Em in that they can go up to a 500w or maybe some odd long stereo power amp too

DSJR

Major Contributor
I'm showing my ignorance here so apologies first -

The IMD plot (brilliant - thanks for doing this) shows oddities at 38kHz or so which may not have modulation effects lower down at audible frequencies (?) but back in the day (and this amp measures like a 1970's - 1980's 'audio enthusiast' design), early CD players used to have all manner of spurious 'stuff' going on between 30 and 80kHz I remember.

Can this IMD plot be translated on dac tests as well, to see what's going on up to 100kHz as some of the filters seem to bounce back once their main job is done - and as an aside, I wonder if the two distortions if still there in dac outputs might meet somewhere and modulate together in the audio band, if that makes any kind of sense to you all.

Apologies if the above makes no sense. I'm thinking out loud here.

anphex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I would have loved a test for bass spike compression. I still insist that these Emotiva modules act like a (volume dependend) multi band compressor for the low end. I just saw this last week on a German audio board where another person felt like it was missing "punch".

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The 19+20 kHz intermodulation distortion measurement is a cool addition!

Thanks Amir!
Agreed, though SoundStage uses 10W into 8 ohms. Below is a selection for reference.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
yeah this is not competetive with what Class D can do anymore.
For 1,100 USD one can get a stereo NCx500 based amp from Buckeye (or 1,100 euros for the Apollon or Nord) that has the same power and some 30 dB less distortion+noise, smaller, cooler and lighter. The HC-1 is 2 x 880 = 1,760 USD...

Last edited:

AdamG

Debunking the “Infomercial” hawkers & fabricators
Forum Donor
Emotiva seems to be pushing at the Boundaries. Of the bottom edges. So much for their savings Grace for making pretty solid performance for the money in regards to their Amps. Proving that old saying “You get what you pay for”. SOTA is no longer a goal. Can’t wait for all the claims that this unit must be malfunctioning, damaged in shipping or Amir didn’t test it properly. :facepalm: Too bad because they have/had a fairly good reputation when it comes to their Amps.

Thanks for the review @amirm. The machine is feasting.

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Typical Emotiva product. Poorly engineered but low cost. The good news is they are consistent.
I have been saying this for years and have been completely wrong ... I dont see how they stay in business and expect their emminant demise.

notsodeadlizard

The miracle didn't happen again.
Twice as expensive (for 2 channels) Benchmark is incommensurably better (but it also has a power almost 4 times lower).
However, with such an output power, one should not expect a miracle.
Just a solid device, it will work well with powerful low-sensitivity speakers.
I don’t think that the user audience will be massively dissatisfied with it, monoblocks are bought mainly not for desktop speakers, and this is essentially a budget monoblock.

Lambda

Major Contributor
In an attempt to have more common measurements with other sites, I decided to run the 19+20 kHz intermodulation distortion (although I don't know what power others use):
Thanks!

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
Typical Emotiva product. Poorly engineered but low cost. The good news is they are consistent.
I have been saying this for years and have been completely wrong ... I dont see how they stay in business and expect their emminant demise.

i think this overestimates their audience

emotiva used to be pretty well priced, i would even underpriced on some items and now they are 'right priced' and i doubt any of their buyers really care they arent getting state of the art pieces. In its intended setting and with their expected buyer this product performs well.

AaronJ

For 1,100 USD one can get a stereo NCx500 based amp from Buckeye (or 1,100 euros for the Apollon) that has the same power and some 30 dB less distortion+noise, smaller, cooler and lighter. The HC-1 is 2 x 880 = 1,760 USD...
But Emotiva’s customers are at least smart enough to know that class D sounds like trash.

Top Bottom