• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Emotiva XPA 9 Gen3 with a Marantz AV8802a - XLR Connection

SmoothR

Hi! :)
I own the devices, mentioned above. First of all I connected via RCA. I tried the XLR connection, right now. In the manual of the Marantz AV8802a (EU model) is a text regarding "if u use a US amp you might have to switch the pins of the XLR connector." I have to say, that I bought the Emotiva amp at the German distributor. Is anybody out there who uses the combination and have a Marantz AVP (EU model) like mine?
Thanks in advance for your answer.

Mindcool

Forum Donor
I had a similar setup with an AV7705. When I ran audyssey calibration it warned that my speakers where out of phase, which indicate the XLR pinout indeed was reversed. My solution was to switch polarity for the affected speakers.

polmuaddib

Forum Donor
I wouldn't trust Audyssey. It often warnes that front speakers are out ouf phase, but they are not. Just check which XLR pin is hot. 2 or 3. And then with a little soldering reverse them inside XLR cable, if needed.

OP
S

SmoothR

Hi! Thanks for your reply.
The "problem" is, Emotiva amps have a inverted phase, the cold and hot pins are rotated, Marantz preamps not.
I don't want to turn something inside my expansive cables. I just have the possibility to turn my "not inverted" sub per phase switch. But it is not the same like a inverted phase from the pins, a engineer from a German forum told me so. Actually, Audyssey always says that my Surrounds are out of phase. Not the fronts?! But the fronts are "large" and the Surrounds are "small", so they work together with the sub. And thats the problem. I will try in the near future what is happening with Audyssey if I switch the polarity of all speakers on the Emotiva amp.

Top Bottom