• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Emotiva XPA-5: still "worth it" or better buy a good recent receiver?

ricardo.vix

Hey guys! I'm an owner of a Denon X3400h and I'm thinking if it's worth upgrade to X3700h.

My setup is Denon X3400h paired with an Emotiva XPA-5 amplifier, a pair of KEF R300 in front, a KEF R600c as center, pair of KEF Q50A as atmos and pair of Monitor Audio Silver FX as surround, while the TV is an LG OLED CX.

My main use (50/50) is watch movies/tv show using apple tv (streaming or locally using infuse) and gaming with playstation 5 and pc (hdmi 2.1).

Since when I bought the emotiva XPA-5 the receivers market changed a lot, so I'm asking myself if, considering that my usage is only games/movies/tv show, still "worth" keep with my emotiva or if I should sell it and buy a good "recent" receiver, as an Denon X3700h, X4700h or X5700h.

Would really appreciate some tips and opinions.

Thanks!

MacCali

Major Contributor
Hey guys! I'm an owner of a Denon X3400h and I'm thinking if it's worth upgrade to X3700h.

My setup is Denon X3400h paired with an Emotiva XPA-5 amplifier, a pair of KEF R300 in front, a KEF R600c as center, pair of KEF Q50A as atmos and pair of Monitor Audio Silver FX as surround, while the TV is an LG OLED CX.

My main use (50/50) is watch movies/tv show using apple tv (streaming or locally using infuse) and gaming with playstation 5 and pc (hdmi 2.1).

Since when I bought the emotiva XPA-5 the receivers market changed a lot, so I'm asking myself if, considering that my usage is only games/movies/tv show, still "worth" keep with my emotiva or if I should sell it and buy a good "recent" receiver, as an Denon X3700h, X4700h or X5700h.

Would really appreciate some tips and opinions.

Thanks!
When there are more speakers it’s harder to notice a difference. Not sure what the 3400 measures like but if you anything noticeably better you need to get the 3700 with akm chip. Specific serial number.

Check the thread for what to look for.

All the new receivers have poor measurements if that matters to you. I use a 7013 and it’s pretty bad and it’s not noticeable I really enjoy all my movies

Just upgraded to an AVM70 and it’s great too. It’s probably better I just can’t say for certain lol

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I would still keep a separate multichannel power amp, but upgrade the Emotiva to an NCore MP based amp from a vendor you prefer, at least for the front trio, but ideally for all speakers.

dorakeg

I would want to ask you what sort of "upgrades" are you looking for?? What is unsatisfactory in your current setup??

I have no idea about 3400 but it appears very similar with 3500, so I assume the measurements is similar with it. The 3500 didn't measure that well (sinad 74).

Did you feel the sound quality in your current setup is bad because it really sounded bad to you (eg. Sound is distorted, lacking in something eg. Bass, treble) or you feel that it's bad because its score poorly in sinad test??

I just want to set your expectations right. This is because I don't want you think that buying a new avr with much higher sinad score will add some "magic" to your sound. In most situations, you will be hard pressed to hear any difference. The 3700h isn't exactly cheap to be considered an impulse purchase

MacCali

Major Contributor
I would want to ask you what sort of "upgrades" are you looking for?? What is unsatisfactory in your current setup??

I have no idea about 3400 but it appears very similar with 3500, so I assume the measurements is similar with it. The 3500 didn't measure that well (sinad 74).

Did you feel the sound quality in your current setup is bad because it really sounded bad to you (eg. Sound is distorted, lacking in something eg. Bass, treble) or you feel that it's bad because its score poorly in sinad test??

I just want to set your expectations right. This is because I don't want you think that buying a new avr with much higher sinad score will add some "magic" to your sound. In most situations, you will be hard pressed to hear any difference. The 3700h isn't exactly cheap to be considered an impulse purchase
Yes that was my point as well, I believe the 7015 is similar to the performance of 34 and 35. Honestly nothing to be crazy over.

My whole comment is simply based on you may as well stay with the same setup. Also if he wants to upgrade he better get the right version cause the newer 3700 is like the 3800.

There’s a processor that’s only like 1600 and it’s only downfall is poor room correction. Also if the measurements they provide are accurate, as I did not find any measurements anywhere for this unit besides manufacturer specs. Iota AVX17

It maybe another option.

cgardnerma

If you need more channels, upgrade the receiver, but keep the Emotiva until it dies. There is always a need to take a load off of the receiver. Otherwise sit tight.

MacCali

Major Contributor
Again the 3700h is a great price right now, but if he is looking for better performance he should get the old 3700 if he can find it. But that has no warranty clearly.

The iota is 4-500 more but has more channels and is a dedicated processor. It has a warranty and if he wants since I am not positive on the room correction it uses whether it’s good or bad, would assume it’s bad

If he has some basic knowledge he can get quality room correction with a mic and software from a third party. Yes that means more money spent but if that iota does provide the stated performance the entire headache can be avoided.

It’s just a processor, I would really hope they didn’t screw that up.

If I didn’t get my AVM70 for it’s BF pricing I was going to buy that unit. Clearly since it has to be better than my 7013.

Only other factor is what’s the balanced voltage out. AVM70 is 4 volts so that was another reason I went that route

It states 4.12 in pure/direct mode not sure if that’s for stereo or not. You can get the sinad with .008 thd

To much bs to think about honestly.

dorakeg

Yes that was my point as well, I believe the 7015 is similar to the performance of 34 and 35. Honestly nothing to be crazy over.

My whole comment is simply based on you may as well stay with the same setup. Also if he wants to upgrade he better get the right version cause the newer 3700 is like the 3800.

There’s a processor that’s only like 1600 and it’s only downfall is poor room correction. Also if the measurements they provide are accurate, as I did not find any measurements anywhere for this unit besides manufacturer specs. Iota AVX17

It maybe another option.

Yes, I fully agreed. I felt he could just remain with his current setup.

Top Bottom