• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Emotiva XMC-2 Review (AV Processor)

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Google search for XMC-2 EmotivaLounge shows that second link.
View attachment 152327

which has been deleted as opposed to locked
https://emotivalounge.proboards.com/thread/59159/xmc-2-poor-measured-performance

This thread is still good though which was temporarily locked while Emotiva ran their own tests
https://emotivalounge.proboards.com/thread/59158/asr-xmc-2-review

Emotiva's position is that it expects "good manners".
Sort of like, the in-laws, coming over and saying, so this is where you live :p
That is an understandable position, that said, some posters like Bonzo that have been banned, that I miss.

- Rich

Lsc

Yeah, just weird they didn't lock the deleted thread instead, just for the transparency of it.

Emotiva has great customer support, but I think people are just surprised that it's not the same as the more expensive one which was supposed to have identical sound quality, just different upgradability.

The bigger problem is that it's priced like a premium product but performs closer to a mass market product. Everyone hates the mass market product but it is hard to fight economies of scale. In some cases like the McIntosh MC462 you pay a premium but actually do get good performance. When someone is paying premium pricing for a tube-based component, they are also paying for the tube colorations/mechanical-watch-craftsmanship/pride.

Here, the owners paid for a premium product and the probably would have been better off with a AVR-X8500h. There is a assembled-in-USA benefit to the Emotiva, for sure. I am curious to see where the McIntosh MX123 measures if anyone has one and is willing to send it in...
The AVR-X8500h is $1000 more retail and $2000 more than what I paid for the XMC2.

So if the Denon with whatever room correction sounds better than my XMC2 then it’s probably very marginal. I run the XMC2 with Dirac and it does a great job taming the bass on my salons.

It’s probably a wash and inaudible. I don’t know how much benefit the XMC2 being fully balanced helps but my amp is also fully balanced.

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The AVR-X8500h is $1000 more retail and $2000 more than what I paid for the XMC2.

So if the Denon with whatever room correction sounds better than my XMC2 then it’s probably very marginal. I run the XMC2 with Dirac and it does a great job taming the bass on my salons.

It’s probably a wash and inaudible. I don’t know how much benefit the XMC2 being fully balanced helps but my amp is also fully balanced.
unlike what you state, the original discoverer of the bass issue states that dirac does nothing toward fixing the bass issue. It cannot be fixed by dirac. If you are speaking of another bass issue then feel free to ignore this comment.
If not, please post your measurements here or at the (still open) emotivalounge thread. I'd love to see a comparison of yours vs the starter of the thread.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Despite Keith's on-going debate with me about whether SINAD is a valid performance metric ;) I hope the owner of the one Amir reviewed is in touch with Emotiva. It could just be a defective unit.

I tend to agree with those who feel distortion (or whatever you want to call it) performance is not the problem, it is all the other little bugs that a number of people are reporting that need attention.

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
https://emotivalounge.proboards.com/thread/59158/asr-xmc-2-review?page=8#post-1078489

Plot thickens? Now they’ve measured XMC and shown it to match the RMC. No details about output voltage, magnitude of test signal, volume settings, or other test conditions. But I don’t think we’re to the bottom of this one yet.
The skeptic in me has the hair on the back of my neck standing up. If i were spiderman my spidey senses would be tingling.
If the unit were tested in stereo reference mode, that being the best case condition as it is (in theory) nothing more than signal pass through, the test results would look substantially better. If their recent, decent looking results represent are 2 channel reference, then that could easily explain why there is such a disparity between what they are showing vs Amirs
Is it true (I have not been over there to personally check) they do not present their (most recent) test methodology?

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Despite Keith's on-going debate with me about whether SINAD is a valid performance metric ;) I hope the owner of the one Amir reviewed is in touch with Emotiva. It could just be a defective unit.

I tend to agree with those who feel distortion (or whatever you want to call it) performance is not the problem, it is all the other little bugs that a number of people are reporting that need attention.
It is not a defective unit unless the one i have is one too, in which case there is likely a mfg problem.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
https://emotivalounge.proboards.com/thread/59158/asr-xmc-2-review?page=8#post-1078489

Plot thickens? Now they’ve measured XMC and shown it to match the RMC. No details about output voltage, magnitude of test signal, volume settings, or other test conditions. But I don’t think we’re to the bottom of this one yet.

Ironic since they attacked Amir for not presenting his methodology even though he did... I can't download the PDFs now but hope to later. Still could simply be Amir got a bad unit, but we have to get past attacking the messengers and see what's really going on.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
It is not a defective unit unless the one i have is one too, in which case there is likely a mfg problem.

I did not know there was a second unit that measured the same, thanks.

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I did not know there was a second unit that measured the same, thanks.
Don
To be clear. mine has not been "measured". All of the operational issues that Amir complained about, my unit has the same things. All of the bass issues that have been found in the emotiva forum thread mine exhibits (measured with REW only). In addition, the bass boost trashed my sub driver.
I brought it up to them and they ignored.

poopy

Could someone copy and paste the new measurements performed by Lommie since only members of the emotiva lounge forum can see them. Thanks

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They are working hard on the bass problem.
Sure they are just like they were working hard to get dirac integrated and that only took multiple years.
Show me proof otherwise your response is nothing more than opinion which are like elbows, everyone has one

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Don
To be clear. mine has not been "measured". All of the operational issues that Amir complained about, my unit has the same things. All of the bass issues that have been found in the emotiva forum thread mine exhibits (measured with REW only). In addition, the bass boost trashed my sub driver.
I brought it up to them and they ignored.

Ah, clear now, thank you. The operational issues, lack of DLBC, on-going bugs and such are why my XMC-1 is still in its box awaiting trade-in (and an SDP-75 sits in its place).

poopy

Ah, clear now, thank you. The operational issues, lack of DLBC, on-going bugs and such are why my XMC-1 is still in its box awaiting trade-in (and an SDP-75 sits in its place).

That's more than 10 times the price of the XMC-1! I'm sure it doesn't perform 10 times greater.... Refurbished XMC-1 with HDMI 2.0b is currently at $1190, seems to be best bang for the buck from Emotiva

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's more than 10 times the price of the XMC-1! I'm sure it doesn't perform 10 times greater.... Refurbished XMC-1 with HDMI 2.0b is currently at $1190, seems to be best bang for the buck from Emotiva
The best bang for the buck from emotiva is buying a Denon :)

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor

I suppose it depends upon what you mean by "perform". I have enough issues with my own new-bought XMC-1, not interested in a refurbished unit.

The interesting thing about audio, or maybe just people, is how you can be ridiculed for paying too much or too little in somebody's eyes no matter what you get.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They testet them at -20dbfs and 4Volts.
Can @amirm or someone explain the testing differences? Lonnie is saying he tested at -20dbfs and Amir at zero. And that Amir tested the RMC1 and XMC2 differently. Below is what Lonnie has said that I don't fully understand. It would be much easier if @Lonnie would either join us and try to understand his thoughts.

xmc-2.jpg

poopy

I suppose it depends upon what you mean by "perform". I have enough issues with my own new-bought XMC-1, not interested in a refurbished unit.

The interesting thing about audio, or maybe just people, is how you can be ridiculed for paying too much or too little in somebody's eyes no matter what you get .

I don't know if we speak about the same thing, the cheapest JBL SDP-75 advertised on the web is about 25k EUR, which is a bit less than $30k USD.

tparm

Forum Donor
The skeptic in me has the hair on the back of my neck standing up. If i were spiderman my spidey senses would be tingling.
If the unit were tested in stereo reference mode, that being the best case condition as it is (in theory) nothing more than signal pass through, the test results would look substantially better. If their recent, decent looking results represent are 2 channel reference, then that could easily explain why there is such a disparity between what they are showing vs Amirs
Is it true (I have not been over there to personally check) they do not present their (most recent) test methodology?
Remember, all those pretty charts for the Denon AVRs were measured in “best case” scenarios too. Just making sure all are on equal grounds (which I get is nearly impossible).

Top Bottom