• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Emotiva XMC-2 AVP Review (Sample 2)

Rate This AV Processor

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 143 77.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 30 16.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 5 2.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 6 3.3%

• Total voters

SynthesisCinema

A SINAD of 84 is a fairly poor bit of performance and IMO puts you on fairly shaky ground.

84db poor if 70db is below audible threshold? Damn. Gene at AH for RX-A6A:

Unfortunately the Yamaha RX-A6A did NOT produce SOTA distortion measurements like we’ve seen from its Marantz competitor. The FFT spectra is about 20dB higher at 1 watt than I measured on the SR8015. Again, likely inaudible but academic nonetheless.

SINAD results are about 70dB for this amplifier. Which isn’t at that magic > 90dB number we see in truly SOTA performing amplifiers but it’s important to keep this into perspective. 70dB SINAD is still .03% THD+N which is below the audible threshold for most mere mortals.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
84db poor if 70db is below audible threshold? Damn. Gene at AH for RX-A6A:

Unfortunately the Yamaha RX-A6A did NOT produce SOTA distortion measurements like we’ve seen from its Marantz competitor. The FFT spectra is about 20dB higher at 1 watt than I measured on the SR8015. Again, likely inaudible but academic nonetheless.

SINAD results are about 70dB for this amplifier. Which isn’t at that magic > 90dB number we see in truly SOTA performing amplifiers but it’s important to keep this into perspective. 70dB SINAD is still .03% THD+N which is below the audible threshold for most mere mortals.

Again the problem with sinad is mixing noise and distortion. 70 db distortion inaudible. 70 db noise audible. Gene likely was thinking thd. Or knew in this case thd set sinad and noise was a non issue.

Fidji

For me its not a question about If 80 dB SINAD is good enough for good quality or not. I have vinyl records with a SINAD of 40 dB that sounds terrific. Because of stunning recordings and good concert halls.

The question for me in year 2022 is why anyone should be happy with 80 dB SINAD If one can have a SINAD of 110 dB for the same price ? - the extra cost of getting a sinad of 110 dB is marginal or zero. Why settle for 80 dB ? A SINAD of 80 dB belongs in very cheap products below 50 dollars.

It was very different at year 2000-2010 but the technology is much better today.

Because it is good enough. Simple as that.

You assume, that 110dB can be had for the same cost as 80dB, ad yet we are still to see any AVR/AVP with this SINAD.

Last edited:

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Why are we comparing SINAD of a power amp to that of a pre-amp?

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
The $3k is for an American company to rebadge a Chinese product with 'good enough' sinad.

maybe people have very low expectations for their $3k usd these days... inflation and all...

Reactions: Tks

Fidji

So what do you play the extra $$$ for?
You don't pay any extra dollar - this is the cheapest 16 channel XLR AVP on the market [probably - I have scanned just couple of usual suspects] . If this are parameters you insist on. Of course you can find better engineered AVP/AVR but not one with 16XLR channels for this price.

Is it a good value for the money? I don't know, everybody has it's own concept. Would I buy it? Nope.

Last edited:

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You don't pay any extra dollar - this is the cheapest 16 channel XLR AVP on the market [probably - I have scanned just couple of usual suspects] . If this are parameters you insist on. Of course you can find better engineered AVP/AVR but not one with 16XLR channels.

Is it a good value for the money? I don't know, everybody has it's own concept. Would I buy it? Nope.
I wonder how many people buying this thing actually use 16 channels…

Fidji

is actually 13 + 3 subs, which is not overkill for any normal Atmos setup. 7.3.6 or 9.3.4 is actually quite modest setup these days.
I have 20 channel AVP and I use all of them.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
My system has seven base speakers, four subs, and four overheads for fifteen channels. My AVP actually has 24 channels for future growth, which would require a much bigger room, so not terribly likely. I bought a refurbished unit and was expecting 16 channels but they delivered a 24-channel unit and I did not complain. ;) I did let my dealer know in case they made a mistake but as a refurb they shipped what they had at no extra charge. He got one at the same time and got "only" 16 channels so was a little jealous. Had I noticed I would have swapped with him (I had it 3+ months before getting it installed).

That said, I skipped the Emotiva upgrade based on on-going FW and performance issues, and lack of Dirac Live bass control that was going to be provided soon after release (and still not available 2+ years later).

Reactions: jam

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
...I have tested both Direct and Stereo modes and response is identical. Here is Reference Stereo:
The Rotel AVpre/pro manual states the following:
"When the MULTI INPUT source is selected on the INPUT SETUP menu, the available options change to reflect the fact that these inputs are direct analog inputs and bypass the unit’s digital processing. ...The AUDIO INPUT, DEFAULT MODE and AUDIO DELAY options are not available since these functions are processed digitally and not available to the MULTI INPUT source."

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You don't pay any extra dollar - this is the cheapest 16 channel XLR AVP on the market [probably - I have scanned just couple of usual suspects] .

If you absolutely need 16 channels for something very specific right this second, sure. But on the other hand, the X3800H is already in pre-orders for $1700 and it's enough for 7.4.4. Plus it has power amps so you can pick and choose which channels need external amplification. And will have Dirac in 2023, a promise that I actually believe Denon will fulfill because their software is actually good, fairly reliable, and they don't have a history of promising major features and never implementing them.

The X4800H will have 13.4 I'd guess, and now that Denon is working with Dirac I would not even be surprised if they beat Emotiva to implementing DLBC at some product level, too.

Fidji

If you absolutely need 16 channels for something very specific right this second, sure. But on the other hand, the X3800H is already in pre-orders for $1700 and it's enough for 7.4.4. Plus it has power amps so you can pick and choose which channels need external amplification. And will have Dirac in 2023, a promise that I actually believe Denon will fulfill because their software is actually good, fairly reliable, and they don't have a history of promising major features and never implementing them.

The X4800H will have 13.4 I'd guess, and now that Denon is working with Dirac I would not even be surprised if they beat Emotiva to implementing DLBC at some product level, too.
Yes, this will be good times, lot of 1-2 years old 3700, 4700, 6700 and 8500 will be on the market for couple of hundred USD.

I have no stake or interest in Emotiva in any shape or form. I did own Denon 8500 for a year, so I know first hand what are the good sides, but also what are the limits of Denon [and there are many]. I think move to Dirac is real breakthrough for D&M and they will finally catch-up on the others and for lot of people it will be finally the reason to upgrade to new AVR. D&M will undoubtedly smash the market with new generation. And it will be probably it for Emotivas, Arcams, Anthems and Monolits, I am afraid, as their only selling point which was Dirac will disappear.

Still no reason to ditch my TRINNOV Alt 32 as things stand.

sealman

Forum Donor
Yes, this will be good times, lot of 1-2 years old 3700, 4700, 6700 and 8500 will be on the market for couple of hundred USD.

I have no stake or interest in Emotiva in any shape or form. I did own Denon 8500 for a year, so I know first hand what are the good sides, but also what are the limits of Denon [and there are many]. I think move to Dirac is real breakthrough for D&M and they will finally catch-up on the others and for lot of people it will be finally the reason to upgrade to new AVR. D&M will undoubtedly smash the market with new generation. And it will be probably it for Emotivas, Arcams, Anthems and Monolits, I am afraid, as their only selling point which was Dirac will disappear.

As an previous owner of a XMC-1 and currently a XMC-2 I will confirm that Dirac is the ONLY reason I bought both processors. Well cost was also a factor!
Now that Dirac has went prime time so to speak that trend will not continue.

Buckeye

I use all 16 channels. 7.2.6. I bi amp my fronts. I was running 9.3.6 for awhile but didn’t see much difference with the front wides. The firmware is buggy with the XMC2 but it sounds great for home theater. There aren’t many options at this price point for 16 channels. In a few years when there are more 16, 18 or 20 channel processors I am sure I will upgrade then. Till then fingers crossed on firmware 3.0 but it still sounds great when I watch movies.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I voted not terrible because people buying this product in this price range could well be happy enough.....but personally wouldn't buy it.

sealman

Forum Donor
I voted not terrible because people buying this product in this price range could well be happy enough.....but personally wouldn't buy it.
When the XMC-1 was released it was the only Dirac prepro/receiver under 5-6K if memory serves me?? The XMC-2 was until recently the least expensive Dirac product available as well. Now that that ship has sailed I think Emotiva and all the other companies with 3k+ Dirac prepros/receivers are going to see a drop in sales.

prerich

They're not actually moving to Dirac - the new receivers are Dirac compatible/up-gradable. You will need to purchase a Dirac license. Audyssey XT32 is still the default room correction. I actually have both Dirac multichannel (on my PC) and Audyssey MultEQ-X on my system. I'm still in the process of comparing them to each other, but so far...it's users choice. With that said, now we have the Cavern project thrown into the mix...and it's open source free.

now we have the Cavern project thrown into the mix...and it's open source free.
Interesting...never heard of this until now. Is there a thread anywhere discussing this?

prerich

Top Bottom