• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Emotiva XMC-2 AVP Review (Sample 2)

Rate This AV Processor

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 143 77.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 30 16.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 5 2.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 6 3.3%

• Total voters

Lsc

This is deja vu all over again though not really in a good way.
It depends on the perspective as it’s great for me. Emotiva realized the cost of trying to improve the G3P was not worth it. And since they still maintain this upgradable model, they decided it was just best to replace with a new model (hopefully OEM).

sealman

Forum Donor
It depends on the perspective as it’s great for me. Emotiva realized the cost of trying to improve the G3P was not worth it. And since they still maintain this upgradable model, they decided it was just best to replace with a new model (hopefully OEM).
I bought the XMC-1 about 15 months before the XMC-2 was released. Most of the bugs had been fixed by that time so I never had any issues with it though I was aware of the time it took to get it to that point. I waited on trading in for the XMC-2 until the program was supposed to end and still got a half finished product. Like everyone else I was waiting for Dirac to be implemented along with all the firmware issues during the first 2 years. I am not remotely interested in being another beta tester for Emotiva.
So yes it does depend on your perspective.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
I have had what I consider the two most frustrating purchases of my whole life: A Nordictrack treadmill that was never delivered and got a refund 4 months after and an Emotiva XMC-1 plagued with infinity bugs after the infamous HDMI 2.0 Board Upgrade. I think I did no less than 10 firmware updates in a period of 12 months just to get the XMC-1 to work with HDR and Dolby Vision and still, after 18 months when I decided to put it for sale, still had a few bugs. I even refused to do the upgrade to the XMC-2 for only $600. My recommendation is to stay away from Big Dan and his company at any cost. There are too many good options out there to even consider Emotiva as an alternative.

Lsc

I bought the XMC-1 about 15 months before the XMC-2 was released. Most of the bugs had been fixed by that time so I never had any issues with it though I was aware of the time it took to get it to that point. I waited on trading in for the XMC-2 until the program was supposed to end and still got a half finished product. Like everyone else I was waiting for Dirac to be implemented along with all the firmware issues during the first 2 years. I am not remotely interested in being another beta tester for Emotiva.
So yes it does depend on your perspective.
I am actually a beta tester for Emotiva and do not mind it. I like being able to work through issues and also get first dibs at new changes.

Also I bought the XMC2 the first day it was available and never felt it was a half finished product since I didn’t have the issues that many others did. Was it slow in the beginning? Yes it was until they rewrote the firmware. Of course to those who had issues it’s natural to feel the way you do. Buy something else then right?

I’ll take the G4P with HDMI 2.1 and updated hardware that’s supposed to be 10x faster than the current version for $600. Should last me another 5 years. If I’m as lucky with the G4P that means I’ve had trouble free Emotiva processors since 2011. I should play the lottery :).

Lsc

I have had what I consider the two most frustrating purchases of my whole life: A Nordictrack treadmill that was never delivered and got a refund 4 months after and an Emotiva XMC-1 plagued with infinity bugs after the infamous HDMI 2.0 Board Upgrade. I think I did no less than 10 firmware updates in a period of 12 months just to get the XMC-1 to work with HDR and Dolby Vision and still, after 18 months when I decided to put it for sale, still had a few bugs. I even refused to do the upgrade to the XMC-2 for only $600. My recommendation is to stay away from Big Dan and his company at any cost. There are too many good options out there to even consider Emotiva as an alternative.
Yes I heard that HDMI 2.0 board was terrible. This is why I’m so glad they aren’t upgrading the XMC2.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Yes I heard that HDMI 2.0 board was terrible. This is why I’m so glad they aren’t upgrading the XMC2.

Pretty sure you know as I remember you trying to help me troubleshooting my XMC-1 with HDMI 2.0 Board Upgrade back in 2018 over the Emo Lounge :)

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
I am actually a beta tester for Emotiva and do not mind it. I like being able to work through issues and also get first dibs at new changes.

Also I bought the XMC2 the first day it was available and never felt it was a half finished product since I didn’t have the issues that many others did. Was it slow in the beginning? Yes it was until they rewrote the firmware. Of course to those who had issues it’s natural to feel the way you do. Buy something else then right?

I’ll take the G4P with HDMI 2.1 and updated hardware that’s supposed to be 10x faster than the current version for $600. Should last me another 5 years. If I’m as lucky with the G4P that means I’ve had trouble free Emotiva processors since 2011. I should play the lottery :).
Emotiva needs to beta test before product release. I will never buy Emotiva again.

Lsc

Pretty sure you know as I remember you trying to help me troubleshooting my XMC-1 with HDMI 2.0 Board Upgrade back in 2018 over the Emo Lounge :)
That’s hilarious! I don’t remember as I’m getting up there lol. Well it’s nice to meet you on ASR.

asnow

Amir, is there any balanced-output AV processor at this price point you can recommend?
The Anthem AVM 70 8K is priced at $3,399.00, down from $3,999.00 and it's on the recommend list ("Grading on a curve"). I purchased it about a month ago and I love it so far.

Top Bottom