• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Emotiva Stepped On Their D!<% Again

OP
M

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Whooohoo. They do one simple thing that should have been done months (or years) ago and some rejoice.
I admire your patience and low bar you set. I'd love to have you as a customer.

Other than the persisting bass issue the last update did improve the HDMI handshake time in my system. It (XMC-2) also gets along with my Nvidia Shield much better than the last 3 firmware's.

The only input on my XMC-2 is an Nvidia Shield. I will say volume control via CEC has been a bit more reliable after the last update, but now I almost always get no audio/video when I power everything up via CEC. I always have to shut everything down and bring it back up before it will lock on. I know CEC is a dirty word (and I don't even think the Emotiva devs test CEC as I know I've read posts where they said they remove the pin from their HDMI cables so that they don't have any issues) which could very well be the problem.

EDIT: so I will also say I do not have the unit freeze up on me anymore after the last update unless I'm trying to run Dirac live

Last edited:

sealman

Forum Donor
Whooohoo. They do one simple thing that should have been done months (or years) ago and some rejoice.
I admire your patience and low bar you set. I'd love to have you as a customer.
Where in my post does it reflect me rejoicing? With that comment (love to have me as a customer) it shows me what you obviously think of your customers of which I will never be one.

I am obviously not pleased with the bass bug as my multiple posts regarding it have shown. Yes several things have improved with the last firmware update but the list of things that still need addressed has barely gotten shorter and many have persisted for many firmware updates.

OP
M

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Where in my post does it reflect me rejoicing? With that comment (love to have me as a customer) it shows me what you obviously think of your customers of which I will never be one.

I am obviously not pleased with the bass bug as my multiple posts regarding it have shown. Yes several things have improved with the last firmware update but the list of things that still need addressed has barely gotten shorter and many have persisted for many firmware updates.
Where in my post does it say i am speaking to you or addressing you?
I never quoted nor referenced you so go make your assumptions and mistakes with someone else's post.
I could care less about you or your situation.

sealman

Forum Donor
Where in my post does it say i am speaking to you or addressing you?
I never quoted nor referenced you so go make your assumptions and mistakes with someone else's post.
I could care less about you or your situation.

There is really only one post that even alludes to someone being happy and even that post they say they are "hopeful" that the bugs are worked out.

Since you never pass up an opportunity to bash on Emotiva when anyone has anything positive to say about them it is fairly obvious which post you were referencing.

Day 165...still no sign of a fix for the bass management fix...hope is fading...

OP
M

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Day 165...still no sign of a fix for the bass management fix...hope is fading...
Nah dont lose hope, just need to reset your expectations. Look to 2023 for our fix and you will likely avoid disappointment.

Word on the street is big news coming soon in regards to firmware update....remains to be seen what the update will actually bring.

Jbrunwa

OP
M

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the link.
I have learned my lesson. Hang on to the xmc-2 and wait. I think there will be some real good non-emotiva options in the future. The xmc is dead money and "upgrading" to another emotiva (cough, cough) is throwing good money at bad. YMMV

Last edited:
Which street would that be? "Wall street", "bourbon street" or the "street of broken dreams"?

It'll be bourbon street if there isn't some good news soon as I'll be drinking my sorrows away lol

But yeah, I'm really hoping Emotiva surprises us all for the better

OP
M

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just me being skeptical but notice how the wording is not
Bass management will be fixed ... but instead
the next release will have fixes to bass management.

Read what you want but knowing emotiva it will have some fixes but not be fixed. And, of course, there will be NO measurements to back up anything they "fixed"

Just me being skeptical but notice how the wording is not
Bass management will be fixed ... but instead
the next release will have fixes to bass management.

Read what you want but knowing emotiva it will have some fixes but not be fixed. And, of course, there will be NO measurements to back up anything they "fixed"

There's certainly reason to be skeptical. I'm hopefully optimistic but taking things with a grain of salt. Thankfully there is a user on the Emo forums (basically the person who identified this issue and did a ton of testing) who I believe will be able to confirm whether or not this is fixed once the firmware is released.

Loron

Forum Donor
My first post on here, I follow the Emotiva Lounge regularly. I'm pretty frustrated at the lack of any updates or even mention of this by Emotiva. It seems their strategy is to keep quiet until they release the next firmware. I'm guessing it comes from the history (so I'm told) of over promising and under delivering. My guess is that they've adopted a new strategy which is to not promise, and hopefully overdeliver - since there was no mention of anything to begin with.

I can understand being a small company and the challenges something like this can present, but any kind of update would be great, even acknowledgement of the issue at all. What's even worse is some Emotiva employees will interject comments on the forums about random discussions, but has not even once commented on the Elevated Bass issue thread over there (as far as I can remember).

The only reason I have any hope that they are working on this is cause the user who reported this issue has said that Emotiva is making some progress, but there have been no updates in weeks and so who knows when or if this will be fixed. It's crazy to me there's only been two firmware updates this year for these processors, honestly none of them have really made my processor function any better if I'm being honest...
I guess that is always the Emotiva strategy! Don’t talk about it and wait till it is forgotten. That is what they are doing with the XMC-2 review Amir did. Negation then dilution in a lot of bs like the -20dBfs. It is very sad. Must be hard to sell processors now…. Let’s bring back the EmotiBucks. Any special in a chip shortage period is indicative declining sales.
i would be so easy to be proactive, acknowledge the problem and then fix it….. unless ther is no fix…. In which case you better say there is no problem. Lol.

talking about firmware update…. I am considering going back to 1.9 on my pos.

Well you can pretty much say "I told you so" at this point lol another month, no firmware. I know Keith from Emotiva recently updated the thread over on Emotiva Lounge but all he said once more is that the firmware will be available "soon". Considering that's what they said over a month ago that's not very reassuring. I'm very strongly considering going to the Monoprice HTP-1 sometime in the next year if I find a good deal on one.

OP
M

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Word on the street is big news coming soon in regards to firmware update....remains to be seen what the update will actually bring.
One word. Gullible.
Hopefully you learned you arent going to change a corporate culture. This is inbred from the top and unfortunately, some prefer to stick their heads in the sand and hope. Hope is not a strategy ... well, unless you are former president
Vote your opinion with your wallet.

One word. Gullible.
Hopefully you learned you arent going to change a corporate culture. This is inbred from the top and unfortunately, some prefer to stick their heads in the sand and hope. Hope is not a strategy ... well, unless you are former president
Vote your opinion with your wallet.

Gullible? Seems a bit...harsh? Well, not harsh but I think I expressed a healthy level of skepticism. Is this a learning experience? Yes, I had never had dealings with Emotiva before I bought the XMC-2 back in January so I've certainly learned a thing or two over the last year.

OP
M

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Gullible? Seems a bit...harsh? Well, not harsh but I think I expressed a healthy level of skepticism. Is this a learning experience? Yes, I had never had dealings with Emotiva before I bought the XMC-2 back in January so I've certainly learned a thing or two over the last year.
ok, call it what you will. Wasnt meant to be harsh.
I should have just said "i told you so" since you opened that door :) Same thing to me.
If you havent been on the Emotiva product train that long, all you had to do was more research and your skepticism meter would have been off the chart when this whole bass mess started.

Top Bottom