• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Emotiva RMC-1 AV Processor Review

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
If the codec stream is not encrypted, it should be. Otherwise, it is trivial to intercept it and siphon off the bits. We (Microsoft) encrypted the stream that the codecs saw when playing DRM content. I suspect these guys are not though.

Zooqu1ko

And If you work in the industry, you should identify yourself as such - or are you just a knowledgeable software guy?
I just know software. For my employer I used to be responsible for a service based on ffmpeg/libav to automatically transcode videos from arbitrary input formats to whatever specific devices were limited to.

Zooqu1ko

If the codec stream is not encrypted, it should be. Otherwise, it is trivial to intercept it and siphon off the bits. We (Microsoft) encrypted the stream that the codecs saw when playing DRM content. I suspect these guys are not though.
It's only encrypted on the HDMI "wire" using HDCP. Whatever (internally) comes out of the HDMI interface chips isn't encrypted anymore. Audio streams on S/PDIF aren't encrypted at all. The DSP just plain aren't the right place to deal with encryption..

Rxw

Will these fixes also be applied to the XMC line?
It's exactly the same platform so any fixes in the RMC firmware is incorporated into the XMC2 by default. It's one firmware package for the XMC2, RMC1L and the RMC.

Lonnie

Audio Company
Zooqu1KO is probably correct. Craig from Dolby always referred them as being encrypted bitstreams and I just took it at face value. My bad if I gave false info here. From my perspective I really didn't care if it was encrypted or not, I was more concerned about being compliant. In that regard, we use DSPs. The Dolby and DTS code is embedded within the chip when we get them. We can't see what its doing, nor do we have any access to do. a deep dive. We do have the ability to set specific parameters. So in the case of the odd harmonics, we were following the proper design spec and switching the up mixer to pass through. But obviously it was still interacting with the signal in some way, so now we are turning it off all together.

markus

Addicted to Fun and Learning
In that regard, we use DSPs. The Dolby and DTS code is embedded within the chip when we get them. We can't see what its doing, nor do we have any access to do. a deep dive. We do have the ability to set specific parameters. So in the case of the odd harmonics, we were following the proper design spec and switching the up mixer to pass through. But obviously it was still interacting with the signal in some way, so now we are turning it off all together.

Did you report that issue to Dolby so it can be fixed without having to resort to such workarounds? I assume you have a process implemented to update DSP code.

miike888

Yes, both ADI and Dolby are aware of it now. I am thankful they both are responsive to things like this, so I have every confidence it will be resolved.

Hi Lonnie!

Are you going to implement BM (Dirac) in the correct way on the RMC?

Marcus and i think Amir has already been trying to get you guys to understand this issue without luck:/

Like it is now it is not useful at all!

//Mike

Lonnie

Audio Company
Hi Lonnie!

Are you going to implement BM (Dirac) in the correct way on the RMC?

Marcus and i think Amir has already been trying to get you guys to understand this issue without luck:/

Like it is now it is not useful at all!

//Mike

Hi Mike, I'm not sure what you are asking here. There is bass management that is associated to how HT processors work and Dirac has a module that works in conjunction with the processors bass manager. A bit more info would be helpful. Thanks,

markus

Hi Mike, I'm not sure what you are asking here. There is bass management that is associated to how HT processors work and Dirac has a module that works in conjunction with the processors bass manager. A bit more info would be helpful. Thanks,

I believe he's talking about bass management being implemented downstream of (Dirac Live) filters. I'm pretty sure the current X/RMC models have all speaker controls (delay, level, PEQ, DL, etc.) properly implemented downstream of BM?

While we're at it, will Dirac's bass management solution come to the current X/RMC models?

Lonnie

Audio Company
I believe he's talking about bass management being implemented downstream of (Dirac Live) filters. I'm pretty sure the current X/RMC models have all speaker controls (delay, level, PEQ, DL, etc.) properly implemented downstream of BM?

While we're at it, will Dirac's bass management solution come to the current X/RMC models?

All of the delays, levels, EQ's and Dirac are implemented after the Bass Manager in all our processors.

I am sorry to say, that I am not in a position to speak about the Dirac Bass Module at this time.

markus

All of the delays, levels, EQ's and Dirac are implemented after the Bass Manager in all our processors.

You mean in all current AVP's? :) That's good to know.

I am sorry to say, that I am not in a position to speak about the Dirac Bass Module at this time.

Bummer. Sounds like people need to buy new hardware if they want to have it. I consider the feature highly desirable. More desirable than striving for best SINAD or similar single number measurement.

Last edited:

Lonnie

Audio Company
You mean in all current AVP's? That's good to know.

Bummer. Sounds like people need to buy new hardware if they want to have it. I consider the feature highly desirable. More desirable than striving for best SINAD or similar single number measurement.

No new hardware would be needed. There is plenty of horsepower in the unit. It's all about licensing.

markus

No new hardware would be needed. There is plenty of horsepower in the unit. It's all about licensing.

Then why didn't you get a license? I'm sure people would gladly pay for it.

Last edited:

HTNut1975

Forum Donor
Then why didn't you get a license? I'm sure people would gladly pay for it.

Wait, are we talking about the new RMC/XMC-2 or XMC-1? I think the new hardware will require an additional license, won’t it? The XMC-1 was released seven years ago.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Wait, are we talking about the new RMC/XMC-2 or XMC-1? I think the new hardware will require an additional license, won’t it? The XMC-1 was released seven years ago.

IIRC there are no plans to upgrade Dirac Live in the XMC-1.

HTNut1975

Forum Donor
IIRC there are no plans to upgrade Dirac Live in the XMC-1.

Yeah that’s what I was thinking. It seemed like maybe Marcus and Lonnie were talking about two different products (the older v the newer). It also wasn’t clear whether Lonnie was referring to user upgrade (additional licensing paid for by the user) or Emotiva obtaining licensing to use the new modules (or to even offer the modules for upgrade). If it is the latter, I imagine it is a matter of the negotiation process (which might explain why Lonnie can’t comment on it).

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah that’s what I was thinking. It seemed like maybe Marcus and Lonnie were talking about two different products (the older v the newer). It also wasn’t clear whether Lonnie was referring to user upgrade (additional licensing paid for by the user) or Emotiva obtaining licensing to use the new modules (or to even offer the modules for upgrade). If it is the latter, I imagine it is a matter of the negotiation process (which might explain why Lonnie can’t comment on it).

The RMC-1 thread but the RMC-1L is the same without expansion slots and the XMC-2 is also part of the family so these are the processors with substantial horsepower.

For XMC-1 owners, Emotiva has an upgrade path with substantial discount.

- Rich

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
The RMC-1 thread but the RMC-1L is the same without expansion slots and the XMC-2 is also part of the family so these are the processors with substantial horsepower.

For XMC-1 owners, Emotiva has an upgrade path with substantial discount.

- Rich
I purchased the xpr 5 several years ago along with the umc 200. Processor was fine except for blown capacitor fixed promptly. Problem was the power amp. Returned in person for repair and was told xpr has a "mind of its own.". Gave up on repairs. My problem relates to lack of negative feedback on their forums. The xpr was discontinued due to the "protection mode" problem. Emotiva never faced up. Keep the mirror away from them. They will hide.

Top Bottom