• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Emotiva RMC-1 AV Processor Review

Lonnie

Audio Company
A big thank you Amir for retesting the RMC-1.

I also want to thank you for bringing to our attention something we missed in our standard battery of test. It was a pleasure speaking with you and thank you again. We do strive to provide the best product possible for our customers but we are only human and do miss things, so your review was very helpful.

My best regards,

Lonnie

audioBliss

What a time for AV enthusiasts. The power of forums is real! It's great to see that Emotiva took the issue seriously and fixed it so fast. Even though there is more to be fixed in the software in terms of features it does give great confidence in a manufacturer who has an online presence. I wish all AV manufacturers did that. Even though I don't own this product it does give me hope that it's actually possible to get faster feedback loops to manufacturers in the industry where action is taken.

doodlebro

Forum Donor
What a time for AV enthusiasts. The power of forums is real! It's great to see that Emotiva took the issue seriously and fixed it so fast. Even though there is more to be fixed in the software in terms of features it does give great confidence in a manufacturer who has an online presence. I wish all AV manufacturers did that. Even though I don't own this product it does give me hope that it's actually possible to get faster feedback loops to manufacturers in the industry where action is taken.

The market is a powerful tool, and Amir found a gigantic lever to pull on.

Zooqu1ko

Doesn't Dolby require certification that their codecs function correctly before letting a company put double-Ds on a product?
They do, but aside from the fact that others mentioned before that we have no idea what standards they require, they also don't re-certify a product after firmware updates. So it's also possible that the RMC-1 worked correctly earlier and messed up with a firmware update (either their own code or a code update from the DSP manufacturer). I'm not even sure if they require the self-assesment test to be re-run before firmware updates are published.

XaVierDK

The market is a powerful tool, and Amir found a gigantic lever to pull on.
Let's not kid ourselves, it requires a manufacturer that's willing to listen. Most people don't care for measurements, and even if this forum pops up on searches, it's probably a safe bet it won't impact sales in a major way.

Huge props to Emotiva for taking the feedback and striving to improve their product, and I hope it's a trend. But the lever isn't THAT big.

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And let this be a gentle reminder to critics of ASR/Amir, who is not here to attack or belittle hardware through measurements. In an attempt to help bring clarity, transparency and consumer advocacy to the masses, ASR is consistently criticized for being cultish "objectivists" as if it was some self-serving ideological pursuit - We're all on the same team here!

doodlebro

Forum Donor
Let's not kid ourselves, it requires a manufacturer that's willing to listen. Most people don't care for measurements, and even if this forum pops up on searches, it's probably a safe bet it won't impact sales in a major way.

Huge props to Emotiva for taking the feedback and striving to improve their product, and I hope it's a trend. But the lever isn't THAT big.

It's a bigger lever than you think. For every comment in that thread, there's probably another nine lurkers who did the same but don't participate in the discussion. That seems pretty substantial. Plus I'm more speaking to the fact that audio has been in this nebulous, measurement free place for a long, long time. The market is finally shifting in favor of the consumers.

I'd also bet Topping is seeing a serious increase in new customers.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor

All praise amirm's lever , maybe it's big maybe it's not but he knows how to use it.

SOWK

Does someone known what the master volume level would be at 2.2 volts?

If 0 on the master volume is 4 volts,

What is 2.2 volts?

DanLaufman

Audio Company
Hi all,
I want to thank Amir for taking to time to speak with Lonnie and Ray and then re-test the RMC-1 with the latest V1.9 firmware. Opening a dialogue with him is a really positive move for us and we welcome his input. We will end up delivering better products to our customers, and this is our first priority.

Emotiva is a no-hype, fact based company. We appreciate constructive, fair, and honest feedback, and this is what Amir is giving his members and companies whose products he tests and reviews... if they are willing to listen and learn.
Cheers,
Big Dan

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I hear you but there is no easy pass through mode here to test. How would you get every EQ system to be active but produce a flat response so different equipment can be tested using the same correction?

Perhaps the DSP's could be tested by starting flat and applying a couple of PEQ filters to the bass, a low Q and high q, then measurure 1 kHz as normally done.
This adds a path with DSP's engaged but in an area that directly compares to the existing measurements that can be placed on the same chart.

- Rich

markus

Addicted to Fun and Learning
A big thank you Amir for retesting the RMC-1.

I also want to thank you for bringing to our attention something we missed in our standard battery of test. It was a pleasure speaking with you and thank you again. We do strive to provide the best product possible for our customers but we are only human and do miss things, so your review was very helpful.

My best regards,

Lonnie

Hi all,
I want to thank Amir for taking to time to speak with Lonnie and Ray and then re-test the RMC-1 with the latest V1.9 firmware. Opening a dialogue with him is a really positive move for us and we welcome his input. We will end up delivering better products to our customers, and this is our first priority.

Emotiva is a no-hype, fact based company. We appreciate constructive, fair, and honest feedback, and this is what Amir is giving his members and companies whose products he tests and reviews... if they are willing to listen and learn.
Cheers,
Big Dan

A very different "tone" in these statements than what you've posted on your own forum. Anyhow, I agree that Amir's testing was helpful to make this a better product.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks @amirm for finding the issues and working with Emotiva to get them resolved.
Thanks @Lonnie, and @DanLaufman, and Ray(!!!) for fighting through the noise, finding, and fixing the problem so quickly.

We owners are grateful :)

- Rich

P.S.
I hope we get a couple of features sooner rather than later:
- Linear Phase Filter Option to address the reconstruction filter measurements.
- Power On with Input Select (so I can program the remote macros's and get my family off my back) ;)

- Rich

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A very different "tone" in these statements than what you've posted on your own forum. Anyhow, I agree that Amir's testing was helpful to make this a better product.
It is a normal human reaction to respond defensively to criticism. I am really pleased with the quick turnaround by the Emotiva management team - they are obviously intelligent and astute enough to do what is best for their company and not wallow in the mud of bruised egos.

Kudos to the Emotiva executives and management!

TommyTwoTone

We appreciate constructive, fair, and honest feedback

I'm not so sure about that. If this review was posted on the emotivalounge it would have likely been sanitized like all the commentary that was posted there after this review had come out. If you had limited your public response to acknowledging the review and promising to research its findings you had the same opportunity to improve your product and saved face. Instead you chose to censor your members/customers and jump on the defensive.

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In my book the kind of reaction we saw was unprofessional.
Of course it was - no denying that. But many business managers and leaders (and one-person audio outfits) then get into a positive feedback loop that prevents them from changing course back to being professional - which Is what I meant with my "wallow" comment.

And that is why I am impressed by both Emotiva and Schiit. Plus, such a turnaround can be good for business. When I examine my own current emotions, both of those brands rate more highly in my opinion than before the testing and the initial reactions to the results. Even though I might never own a product from either company, I won't hesitate to suggest that people consider them.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Glad they at least owned up to their mistakes, it all we can ask for. Hopefully their next product wont be on the market for months before serious issues are fixed.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
It is a normal human reaction to respond defensively to criticism. I am really pleased with the quick turnaround by the Emotiva management team - they are obviously intelligent and astute enough to do what is best for their company and not wallow in the mud of bruised egos.

I too am happy to see that statement from 'Big Dan.'

Of course, it would be interesting to have been behind the scenes as this all played out internally.
Whatever that internal process was...people can be expected to get defensive and start pointing fingers, but companies really...shouldnt.
Leaves a sour taste.

That said, sour tastes pass with time and effort, and whoever had to swallow that bitter pill to post that message just took a huge step in that direction.

We all just want to know what we're getting...and as long as manufacturers paint this site as being full of ignorant red-headed audio stepchildren...on their own forums...encouraging and contributing to the bashing of this site and it's host...it isn't serving anyone.

I am glad to see the post, and I hope to see more cooperation towards the common goal of excellent products that don't need a stream of excuses.

Top Bottom