• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Emotiva PA-1 Review (Amplifier)

birkbott

I have these and they are great. If you have a music studio they accept 1/4” balanced cables as well as XLR. Great for powering bookshelf speakers as studio monitors.

sejarzo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Just sold my pair to a fellow over on usaudiomart in advance of downsizing. He sent an email to me today...

"Well I am bummed out after trying the little amps. Not that there's anything wrong with them, but they're not going to work in my system as they have way too much gain. I normally run my preamp at a setting of 50-60, with these amps I was down around 15. Just not going to work. ..."

I have asked him about his preamp gain, what power amp he had used previously, etc. and don't have a reply yet.

Emotiva spec'd these for 28 dB gain, which is what Amir measured, and most Class D amps have gain of 28-29 dB.

Any other users think that these had oddly high gain?

birkbott

Just sold my pair to a fellow over on usaudiomart in advance of downsizing. He sent an email to me today...

"Well I am bummed out after trying the little amps. Not that there's anything wrong with them, but they're not going to work in my system as they have way too much gain. I normally run my preamp at a setting of 50-60, with these amps I was down around 15. Just not going to work. ..."

I have asked him about his preamp gain, what power amp he had used previously, etc. and don't have a reply yet.

Emotiva spec'd these for 28 dB gain, which is what Amir measured, and most Class D amps have gain of 28-29 dB.

Any other users think that these had oddly high gain?
I don’t get what the issue is?

sejarzo

Forum Donor
I don’t get what the issue is?
Seems as if the volume control on his preamp is now too touchy.

His estimates of the volume control setting as 15 now vs 50-60 in the past, assuming the knob travels from 7 o'clock to 5 o'clock as is typical, suggests to me that he can't set the knob above 8:30 or else the SPL is too high. I'd agree that's kind of a problem.

He must have a high gain preamp with balanced output and rather efficient speakers for power amps with 28dB gain to be too much.

I did include a comment in my reply to him about 28 dB gain being typical for class D amps now, but so far I've received no response as to his other gear, gains if he knows those, etc. I would be extremely surprised if he's driving the amps with an unbalanced output preamp, as the gain for the PA-1s in that mode should be only 22 dB.

sejarzo

Forum Donor
Now I get it. He replied and noted that he owns a Benchmark AHB2 that he runs in low gain (9 dB). All I can figure is that he was considering selling that and pocketing some cash.

Gambertuni

Forum Donor
Hi there,
This is my first post and I know nothing about audio, so I apologize if I say something which comes across as silly or a mere reiteration.
I found a nice offer on an Emotiva pa-1 and I am wondering if it may be possible (or worth it) to connect my Atom dac and amp 2 (rca output) to the Emotiva PA-1 (balanced input) without a quality loss or technical issues?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Hi there,
This is my first post and I know nothing about audio, so I apologize if I say something which comes across as silly or a mere reiteration.
I found a nice offer on an Emotiva pa-1 and I am wondering if it may be possible (or worth it) to connect my Atom dac and amp 2 (rca output) to the Emotiva PA-1 (balanced input) without a quality loss or technical issues?

Thanks a lot in advance!
Welcome to Audio Science Review !!!
So if I read you correctly, you want to use your Amp2 for it's preamp function and drive the Emo power amp with it.
All you need are RCA to XLR balanced cables.
I see no reason why that shouldn't get you a very nice transparent sounding system.

PS, you do realize this is a monoblock amp and you'll need 2?

Gambertuni

Forum Donor
Welcome to Audio Science Review !!!
So if I read you correctly, you want to use your Amp2 for it's preamp function and drive the Emo power amp with it.
All you need are RCA to XLR balanced cables.
I see no reason why that shouldn't get you a very nice transparent sounding system.

PS, you do realize this is a monoblock amp and you'll need 2?
oh I didn't know that, thank you so much!
and yes, the idea is to go Atom Dac 2 to Atom Amp 2 to Emotiva PA1 to Speakers (still habe to figure out those)
My other amp option is Cambridge Topaz SR20 (also 200€) bur couldn't find reviews on that ine
Thank you so much

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
oh I didn't know that, thank you so much!
and yes, the idea is to go Atom Dac 2 to Atom Amp 2 to Emotiva PA1 to Speakers (still habe to figure out those)
My other amp option is Cambridge Topaz SR20 (also 200€) bur couldn't find reviews on that ine
Thank you so much
Your very welcome.
Our members here are happy to help whenever possible.
Cheers

Gambertuni

Forum Donor
Has anyone by any chance paired the Emotiva PA-1 with the Cambridge Audio SX80 floor speakers?
I found a nice offer on those and wonder if they could pair properly. Hereby some tech specs:

SX80 Floorstanding speakers
Impedance 8 Ohms
Sensitivity 87 dB
Frequency Response 40Hz-20Khz
Recommended amp power 10-100W

EMotiva Stealth PA-1
Output power:
140 watts RMS into 8 Ohms at 1 kHz at 1% THD
135 watts RMS into 8 Ohms at 0.1% THD
300 watts RMS into 4 Ohms at 1 Khz at 1% THD
270 watts RMS into 4 Ohms at 0.1% THD
450 watts RMS into 2.7 Ohms at 1 kHz at 1% THD

Input impedance: 47k Ohms (balanced)

Frequency response: 20 Hz to 20 kHz +/- 1 dB (worst case; 4 Ohm load).
Damping factor: >500

I'll be really grateful for any piece of information :)
Thanks a lot!

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Has anyone by any chance paired the Emotiva PA-1 with the Cambridge Audio SX80 floor speakers?
I found a nice offer on those and wonder if they could pair properly. Hereby some tech specs:

SX80 Floorstanding speakers
Impedance 8 Ohms
Sensitivity 87 dB
Frequency Response 40Hz-20Khz
Recommended amp power 10-100W

EMotiva Stealth PA-1
Output power:
140 watts RMS into 8 Ohms at 1 kHz at 1% THD
135 watts RMS into 8 Ohms at 0.1% THD
300 watts RMS into 4 Ohms at 1 Khz at 1% THD
270 watts RMS into 4 Ohms at 0.1% THD
450 watts RMS into 2.7 Ohms at 1 kHz at 1% THD

Input impedance: 47k Ohms (balanced)

Frequency response: 20 Hz to 20 kHz +/- 1 dB (worst case; 4 Ohm load).
Damping factor: >500

I'll be really grateful for any piece of information :)
Thanks a lot!
Going by the specs, it should be fine, but as I told you in another post the Emo is a monoblock amp, it will only play one
channel. You need 2 for stereo.

Gambertuni

Forum Donor
Going by the specs, it should be fine, but as I told you in another post the Emo is a monoblock amp, it will only play one
channel. You need 2 for stereo.
Yes of course, I am buying 2 of them.
Thanks a lot!

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Yes of course, I am buying 2 of them.
Thanks a lot!
Ah, great.
I'll only mention that the speakers have a somewhat low sensitivity at 87db so the amps will be working a bit hard to deliver
loud volume levels. A thought going forward someday would be to add a good subwoofer since the speakers don't have low bass
capability anyway. A crossover point around 80hz would then relieve the Emo amp of a lot of it's power requirements throughout
the rest of the range. A win, win, win improvement when finances allow.
Otherwise I believe you should be pleased with this combo.
Cheers.

Top Bottom