• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Emotiva launched new generation of BasX amplifiers

EGrunt

I took a chance and purchased the first Generation XPA-2 amplifier. It was strictly a middle class amp as far as I was concerned. I decided to sell it and move up. I tried to sell it on a couple of audio websites and I had it priced very reasonably. I didn’t get one nibble or offer. It was sitting there collecting dust and my wife wanted it gone. I ended up taking it to the county site where they recycle electronics. No more Emotiva products for me.

New member but I had no problem selling my 1st Gen XPA-2 back in 2016 when I transitioned to a Wyred 4 Sound ST1000MKII that I still use today with my Arcam AVR-850. I still have my 1st Gen XPA-3 in a box in the garage thinking I may use again some day. Maybe it is my location but in SOCAL I sold the XPA-2 in less then 3 days. I also own a Emotiva Stealth DC-1 that is boxed up once I bought the OPPO-205. Never had any issues with any Emotiva products.
IMG_3706[4003].jpg
IMG_3707[4002].jpg

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Very nice. I see you went horizontal - I kept mine vertical to preserve the radiation pattern across my 3 seats. May not be an issue without guests, but I wanted to avoid turning the vertical directivity into the horizontal.

I always thought horizontal was a lot more fun. Only acrobats can do it standing up.

WildH

Moving on,

The A3 has been great! Really enjoying it. I am strongly considering adding 2 x A4 to run the surrounds and atmos and putting the 4700 into pre-amp mode. It is actually affordable...why not?

I do have a question though....Needing 8 channels of amplification, it seems like it would make more sense to get an A5 and another A3 rather than 2 x A4 because to me a 3 ch and a 5ch amp would be more flexible in future than 2 x 4ch amps...sell easier etc etc.

But being an odd number, that would mean one of the surrounds is being run by the A5 and the other side is being run by the A3. Different wattage ratings on them..... Is that something to be concerned with? Or will Audyssey figure that all out and equalize them?

Maybe 2 x A4 is just cleaner and will be better for my OCD.

So you are using an A3 for the LCR with a 4700? Do you feel it made a difference? Wattage is similar.

I'm considering doing the same with either the A3 or the xpa...

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
So you are using an A3 for the LCR with a 4700? Do you feel it made a difference? Wattage is similar.

I'm considering doing the same with either the A3 or the xpa...

Call me crazy but I’m running my bedroom’s X6500H with an A2, A3 and A4 and it sounds great. Made a difference? Honestly I can’t hear a difference but the X6500H is running much cooler than before.

WildH

Call me crazy but I’m running my bedroom’s X6500H with an A2, A3 and A4 and it sounds great. Made a difference? Honestly I can’t hear a difference but the X6500H is running much cooler than before.

This is what I would expect actually. Similar specs between the 6500, 4700, and BasX. If emos claims are true in that their goal is to simply amplify the signal, then I would think there shouldn't be a major difference if all specs are close. I've never run an external amp so this is why I ask. It would certainly make sense that you our 6500 runs cooler.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
This is what I would expect actually. Similar specs between the 6500, 4700, and BasX. If emos claims are true in that their goal is to simply amplify the signal, then I would think there shouldn't be a major difference if all specs are close. I've never run an external amp so this is why I ask. It would certainly make sense that you our 6500 runs cooler.

BTW, I’m also running my living room X6700H with Emotiva amps and as pre amp.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
With similar results?

Can’t say as I have never ran my living room system without external amps. Running separates in my main system since 2009.

WildH

Can’t say as I have never ran my living room system without external amps. Running separates in my main system since 2009.

So I guess this begs the question a little bit as to whether there is value running separates with a 4700 or 6700. I've never done it, so I guess I'm asking more so though anything whether it's worth doing.

Last edited:

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I like running a Class D amp that can provide a stout 4 ohms or better to my front speakers that actually have a 4 ohm impedance for much of their range. An AVR may struggle as they are mostly designed for 6-8 ohm speakers. They at least ask a lot of current from the power supply. You then have plenty of power left for all the other channels.

iraweiss

Question: Would the power supply for the new BASx amps be considered traditional or switching?

wje

Forum Donor
Question: Would the power supply for the new BASx amps be considered traditional or switching?

From the images of new BasX amps that I've seen, the internals reveal a "traditional" or toroidal power transformer and not the switching variety that they use in their XPA series of amplifiers.

Perfect_pint

Have to admit I'm tempted buy the A3 also for my 4ohm LCR Emotiva T2+ and C2+ on a Marantz SR7013. I have a class ad DIY 300w (4ohm) icepower amp which I'm tempted to add a third channel or buy the A3. Worried by Emotiva's lack of 4ohm power rating over the full spectrum. Would love some measurements

Shanman

Forum Donor
I wouldn't hold much stock in the low end Parasound, but the Halo amps are fairly well regarded, yes?

Annoyed82

Another aspect for those of us outside the US:The Emotiva's automatically detect the voltage and adapt to it. No need for transformers and such. The Monolith/Outlaw/Parasound models I've looked at will only run on 110-120volts so we can't even import one from the US, do you know what I am saying?

KellenVancouver

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi all. New member here. Ordered some new Emotiva equip. and awaiting delivery. Once received and experienced will advise as to thoughts about it. Bear in mind I have zero measuring instruments and my technical know-how is about equally nill, so can only provide a user's perspective. Also, hats off to this website, both the technical reviews and user comments in forums, it was very helpful for previous audio choices (as well as my son who works in AV industry). So just want to say thanks in that regard.

JSmith

Master Contributor
Hi all. New member here.
Hey there, welcome. :)

Feel free to introduce yourself;
awaiting delivery
Ah, the anticipation phase. :)

JSmith

KellenVancouver

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Welcome @KellenVancouver
Fellow Vancouverite, eh?

What speakers do you have to pair with the Emotiva?
Welcome @KellenVancouver
Fellow Vancouverite, eh?

What speakers do you have to pair with the Emotiva?
Thanks for the welcome, and the answer is yes and no. I'm in what people here like to call the "first" Vancouver, the one in Washington State. But let's face it, the Vancouver in B.C. is the truly beautiful city. As for speakers, I am keeping it in the Emotiva family with Airmotiv (both speakers and subwoofer).

Top Bottom