• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Emotiva C3...is it just me or is this even dumber than C2+ in terms of mid drivers

OP
G

GabrielPhoto

Folks, my HT consists of C2+, LR T2+, and a bunch of A1s as sides and heights. C2+ is placed horizontally on monitor mounts and slightly tilted down, as it is right above the TV.
I can't hear C2+ difference from the 3 main positions on the couch, however, at the sides of the room it sounds not as loud, I guess that's the directivity.
Here's the question, shall I replace it with a better designed center speaker? The movies are watched on the couch only, will the SQ difference be noticeable at the sides/ off center mostly?
Is up to you. Do you like it then be happy with it. Personally I found it one of the worse centers I tested so far not only because of the very narrow horizontal dispersion but because it has like zero sound halo so I can never get the "ventriloquist effect" I value so much.
But in the end, the only thing that matters is what YOU prefer.

nemesis.ie

Folks, my HT consists of C2+, LR T2+, and a bunch of A1s as sides and heights. C2+ is placed horizontally on monitor mounts and slightly tilted down, as it is right above the TV.
I can't hear C2+ difference from the 3 main positions on the couch, however, at the sides of the room it sounds not as loud, I guess that's the directivity.
Here's the question, shall I replace it with a better designed center speaker? The movies are watched on the couch only, will the SQ difference be noticeable at the sides/ off center mostly?

Do you have the tweeter on the top or bottom?
IIRC, Erin's graphs showed the output to be hight on the tweeter side, maybe there was an expectation that they would be used below screens.

As yours is above, it might be worth flipping it over to compare (and listen before/after recalibration to see if it's different or not).
I've played with the direction on my vertical ones and there does seem to be some difference.

Speaking of which, with the current arrangement and latest calibration, there is very little difference seat to seat, even the front stage positioning is good in all 3 (which are shoulder to shoulder with maybe 10 to 15cm in between most of the time (single bench seat).

Very cinematic/detailed/engaging. :)

Persik

Is up to you. Do you like it then be happy with it. Personally I found it one of the worse centers I tested so far not only because of the very narrow horizontal dispersion but because it has like zero sound halo so I can never get the "ventriloquist effect" I value so much.
But in the end, the only thing that matters is what YOU prefer.
Thanks for the link, great summary!

Persik

Do you have the tweeter on the top or bottom?
IIRC, Erin's graphs showed the output to be hight on the tweeter side, maybe there was an expectation that they would be used below screens.

As yours is above, it might be worth flipping it over to compare (and listen before/after recalibration to see if it's different or not).
I've played with the direction on my vertical ones and there does seem to be some difference.

Speaking of which, with the current arrangement and latest calibration, there is very little difference seat to seat, even the front stage positioning is good in all 3 (which are shoulder to shoulder with maybe 10 to 15cm in between most of the time (single bench seat).

Very cinematic/detailed/engaging. :)
I'll give it a try flipping C2+ upside down :).
Do you know if Denon ARV Audyssey calibration can compensate for non-linearity of the speaker or only room correction?

OP
G

GabrielPhoto

Persik

I listed C2+ on Kijiji and there is a lot of interest…
Any recommendations what center speaker to replace it with? The rest of my HT setup is Emotiva too.

I heard good things about SVS ULTRA CENTER REFERENCE-GRADE 6.5" CENTER CHANNEL, any other recommendations?

Thank you in advance

OP
G

GabrielPhoto

Top Bottom