• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Emotiva C3...is it just me or is this even dumber than C2+ in terms of mid drivers

GabrielPhoto

Maybe I am missing something but it seems to me that they are after the "bigger must be better" customer than actually improving the C2+ flaws.
Agree?

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Depends on the crossover frequencies, slopes and distance between the drivers. The fact that it's a three way and that you have at least two of each driver may allow for some sort of horizontal directivity control.

Eitherway It's better than the C2+ though, that thing was a monstrosity. However this would be one hell of a speaker if turned sideways.

Battlebeast

Maybe I am missing something but it seems to me that they are after the "bigger must be better" customer than actually improving the C2+ flaws.
Agree?
It's going to be even worse. Sales to engineer- More power, more ugly, worse sounding and make it big! Engineer to sales, well you asked for it. :facepalm:

OP
G

GabrielPhoto

It's going to be even worse. Sales to engineer- More power, more ugly, worse sounding and make it big! Engineer to sales, well you asked for it. :facepalm:
Lol yep...we can tell which department takes priority there

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
This is going to fall firmly into the Hot Mess category...
For a 3-way horizontal center to break out just a little from the directivity issues it needs to have the mid and tweet vertically aligned (compare to the Revel C426Be). This is just an mtm alignment... ok, technically wwmtmww... with drivers spaced too far apart to clear itself completely of lobing.
(The pairs of 6" drivers will possibly each operate "more" cohesively, I would think, depending of course on their frequency ranges... however each pair will interfere with the other.)

Hopefully we'll see a measurement sometime.

Battlebeast

Seems to be a lot like this likely disaster-
vp180_stand.jpg

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Seems to be a lot like this likely disaster-
vp180_stand.jpg
Wow, I can't imagine that being any good. I'm so confused, because they clearly have no issues making it big which means there is no reason to do this. That Emotiva design is caused by it being not very tall and just very wide....but here there is simply no excuse.

nemesis.ie

Depends on the crossover frequencies, slopes and distance between the drivers. The fact that it's a three way and that you have at least two of each driver may allow for some sort of horizontal directivity control.

Eitherway It's better than the C2+ though, that thing was a monstrosity. However this would be one hell of a speaker if turned sideways.
I've actually ordered one. I run C2+s sideways (i.e. vertically) as it happens and they actually work very well in my narrow room. I imagine the off-axis issues (when horizontal in particular) are more of an issue in a wider room with lots of seats.
The C3+ has a square tweeter unlike the wider-sideways C2+'s. It can be rotated too, so I will be doing that. I hope Amir and Erin get their hands on one to test soon.
Erin seems to be saying the B2+ is a very nice improvement over the B1+ (A different design of course. but maybe they are actually trying to fix things?).
The C3+ no longer has the two 3" drivers beside each other either, directly horizontal 5.25s may well work better.
I'll move the C2+ centre to rear centre duty or sell it.
If I hate it, I will let them know. :)

Last edited:

AwesomeSauce2015

This doesn't make any sense to me.
It seems like they are trying to replicate the mid / high drivers of their big towers in a center channel, which could cater to the intuition of someone who wants to "timbre match" all their speakers... However, the horizontal directivity will probably be horrendous as that tweeter can't possibly cross over low enough to work well here.
If they did 2 midrange crossovers though, with one of the midranges coming on at a lower frequency, it might work.

As for me, I'll stick with horns and low crossover points :)

nemesis.ie

Please don't take this as "audiophile review hyperbole", I'm just trying to use "known terms" to try to describe what I hear. :)

Some thoughts after a bit more listening and watching some TV etc. Note that I've not recalibrated (Trinnov), so the RC/EQ is still based on the C2+, I currently have it horizontal and am comparing to the C2+ it replaces which was also horizontal. Vertical C2+s left and right with tweeter nearest centre per Erin's measurements showing slightly better response to the tweeter side.

C3+ is as expected "punchier".
Off-axis does seem much better, in my room, with the RC not optimised as mentioned, moving off-axis to the left (which has a better "weighting" as herself sits there" there was no drop off audible and indeed the dB meter reading was identical). Moving to the right there was a drop of about 1.5db, but I also had a box of A1+s sitting on the floor there). With the C2+ there was a noticable drop off off-axis, IIRC measurments showed 2 to 3db and listening sounded like that.

Whether it's the 5.25" drivers (which I think contribute to the extra punch in the higher frequencies versus the 3" pair - I think my ERM-6.3s with their 4" drivers had more punch there than the C2+), the position or the new "wave guide" around the tweeter - it's now square versus flattened top to bottom, the crossover point/electronics or what, I don't know but the radiation pattern seems much better.

Quieter parts of music seem clearer and overall this seems to be a really acurate speaker, what you feed it is what you get.

Regarding the sound, I have a house curve set in the altitude which I like that tapers off the high end (I'm very sensitive to high frequencies and do not like a "bright" sound - however, (without the reclaibration), what I have noticed is the amount of brightness or conversely how "laid back" it sounds seems to completely depend on the music, e.g. a jazz singer (Nina Simone etc.) recorded from "older" mics, can have a tiny/bright sound that seems "forward" (as you might expect) but then you put on a different artist/stle and it's smooth and melow with excellent bass.

Examples listened to:

Yello - Oh yeah: excellent clarity, really, really deep male vocal for the signature phrase while still being clear.
Come away with me - Norah jones: "smooth and creamy".
Peggy Lee - Fever: crisp and clear "snaps" and vocals.
Yes - Leave it: "belended" positioning with L+R spot on, no "smearing" smooth, airy, "ethereal".
The cars - Best friend's girl: massive sound stage, Don Henly's dirty laundry likewise.
Talking heads - road to nowhere: clear and defined.

My overall impression is that it throws a "huge", tight, room-filling sound with lots of heft, clear trebles (trumpet, snare) and is a great step up from the C2+, as a horizonatal centre in particular. I still like the C2+ vertical for L+R but wish they had rotatable tweeters or indeed the new ones. I wonder could the cut out be enlarged and the new one fitted. Hmmm.

The square shaped tweeter I think plays a part as I got a couple of A2+ in at the same time and it also has the new tweeter guide, unlike the B2+ which Erin reviewed recently and he was not too impresssed, these A2+ exhibit the same improved off-axis I hear with the C3+. I suppose they didn't use it in the B2+ as it's more a "fixed location" style - i.e. vertical bookshelf wheras the C3+ can go both ways and the A2+ is specifically designed for many orientations - a shame as I suspect the B2+ could benefit from it.

I will be very interested in seeing measurements for the C3+ and the A2+ - it will likely be much easier for Erin/Amir to get the A2+ and we can see how that new tweeter graphs.

I would also be interested in seeing them come out with a dual 5.25 or 2 of each 5.25/6.25 model (maybe in a squarer shape) as that would be easier to fit in room (expecially smaller ones like my 5.4m x 3.2m one) and for surround use ... even a thinner one that could go on-wall.

Out of interest, those that are using horns etc. what speakers are you using and how much do they cost? The value here seems to be very good - comparing what you get with a C3+ versus e.g. an M & K S300 at a 3x higher price or the 150s at ~1.75x - I'd love to see a shootout between them. The S300 would certainly be easier to carry though versu the C3+ beast. :)

Last edited:

Battlebeast

Looking at the photos and the listed specs and "features" it doesn't appear to be a new tweeter. Same tweeter, square "wave guide" instead of rectangular. Seems it would further narrow and already fairly narrow and IMO funky horizontal dispersion. Vertical dispersion will still be poor necessitating the tweeter be at ear level.

I just don't see the point, other than marketing to the ignorant, of having that many drivers and then limiting maximum output because of a cheap tweeter. :rolleyes: It's still a poorly designed speaker.

nemesis.ie

Looking at the photos and the listed specs and "features" it doesn't appear to be a new tweeter. Same tweeter, square "wave guide" instead of rectangular. Seems it would further narrow and already fairly narrow and IMO funky horizontal dispersion. Vertical dispersion will still be poor necessitating the tweeter be at ear level.

I just don't see the point, other than marketing to the ignorant, of having that many drivers and then limiting maximum output because of a cheap tweeter. :rolleyes: It's still a poorly designed speaker.
No, the new waveguide widens the dispersion vertically. It makes it more even. I actually have one to listen to, not just looking at photos. Roll on the measurements so we can verify the changes.

Given the waveguide is part if the unit it is a new tweeter. The A2+ has it and also soubd better off axis. The B2+ gas the ikder one, the same as the B1+.

Reactions: JRS

Battlebeast

No, the new waveguide widens the dispersion vertically. It makes it more even. I actually have one to listen to, not just looking at photos. Roll on the measurements so we can verify the changes.

Given the waveguide is part if the unit it is a new tweeter. The A2+ has it and also soubd better off axis. The B2+ gas the ikder one, the same as the B1+.
I guess well have to wait until it's tested but the new "wave guide" is not any taller and has the same number of horizontal "things" as the rectangular one. I doubt it will have any effect on the vertical dispersion. That type of tweeter seems to be limited in that regard by design and would IMO need to be place in a quite deep and large horn to improve vertical dispersion. I have yet to see a review that doesn't mention the narrow sweet spot and placement difficulty of speakers using AMTs.

nemesis.ie

Maybe these pics will help folks visualise that the new wave guide is indeed taller/flatter - they have stretched the wave guide vertically with the AMT itself being the same height AFAICS, it's quite obviously different and not as constricting/forward deflecting in the vertical axis - and sorry the pic of the A2+ is off to one side a little due to the rooms light.

If anyone is still not convinced, let me know and I'll take a straight-on picture of the C3+'s tweeter.

E2+ with the old tweeter and A2+ with the new one (as used in the C3+:

1660330194963.png

1660330229601.png

nemesis.ie

I use the E2+ as side surround as they are very near the L+R seats so as to allow them to be a bit more forward and not to blast the people in those seats.

With you on the 6.5" - actually the centre part of the C3+ would be great, 2 x 5.25" or 6.25" with the new tweeter in the middle ...

I also have A1s.

I've only tested the A2+ sitting on top of the L+R as L+R, both instead of (surround) and just using "direct" + sub and they sound much better than the A1s or E2+.

Like the C3+ (I tested the A2+s before it arrived) there appears to be a much better off-axis response and a more even dispersion.

Probably not like a Kef or JTR coaxial, but definitely better than C2+ (which actually work very well for me vertically positioned and blend even better with the horizontal C3+ then the horizontal C2+).

I still plan to try the C3+ vertically given it has the rotatable tweeter if I can fit it in, space is tight and I may not be able to see the display on the SSP if I do it - Come on Trinnov, where is our OSD! :) Maybe it will arrive with the HDMI 2.1 board. ;)

Top Bottom